Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Copper Pipe Thefts (comment)

Steve Walker wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/...089645,00.html

"The global price of copper has risen fivefold since 2001 and has risen
above $8,000 (£4,000) a tonne this year, driven by demand for its use in
car production, building and power grids. China accounts for about 20% of
global copper consumption and the US for 13%. Such is the demand that 2p
pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their copper."

** 2p pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their copper**

'Scuse me, I'm just off to the bank...... )

Which is why they've been made of copper plated steel for years now. Unless
copper gets SO expensive that the plating is worth anything...

Cheers

Tim