Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default Copper Pipe Thefts (comment)

tony sayer wrote:
In article , John
writes
In the climate of rising thefts of copper pipes (encouraged by
newspaper reports which usually quote the cost of repairs rather
than the scrap value of the pipes stolen), have you noticed that
many new build flats have the gas pipes running externally up the
front of the buildings?

Surely a ventilated secure ducting would be more sensible and
aesthetically more pleasing.

The recent explosion of a house in Bradford was allegedly due to a
gas pipe being taken by some kids.

Its getting quite a big problem!...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/transport/...089645,00.html

"The global price of copper has risen fivefold since 2001 and has risen
above $8,000 (£4,000) a tonne this year, driven by demand for its use in car
production, building and power grids. China accounts for about 20% of global
copper consumption and the US for 13%. Such is the demand that 2p pieces are
more valuable if they are melted down for their copper."

** 2p pieces are more valuable if they are melted down for their copper**

'Scuse me, I'm just off to the bank...... )