Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Max # of sockets on 32amp ring main?

Anyone tell me what is the maximum number of double sockets one can
have on one 32-amp ring main?

And how many spurs (with a double socket on each) can one have on one
32-amp ring?

Thank you,

Jim B
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May, 19:02, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
Jim B Jim writes:

Anyone tell me what is the maximum number of double sockets one can
have on one 32-amp ring main?

And how many spurs (with a double socket on each) can one have on one
32-amp ring?

There are no limits on either count.

It is recommended that a ring not supply power for more than 100m²
of floor area. However, this is for general purpose usage, and if you
know more precisely how the ring is going to be used, you should take
that into account and modify this figure accordingly.

It is recommended that a ring should not have more spurs than directly
connected sockets/accessories. This is because a ring normally starts
with no spurs, and if it's been extended to the point where there are
as many spurs as original outlets, then the current demand for outlets
has well exceeded what the ring was originally designed for.

100m^2 is 10m x 10m, perimeter of which is 40m. Average double socket
size around 6" = 15cm. 40m/6cm = 666 double sockets or 1333
sockets.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 May 2007 19:43:10 +0100, PJ mused:

On 25 May 2007 11:17:36 -0700, mused:

Jim B Jim writes:

[...]

As I have mentioned before, you talk ******** at times.

_FLOOR_ area, not wall area.

I must be misunderstanding the calculation. The 100m^2 floor has a
perimeter of 40m. Where is the error in his calculation?
I accept that he has made no provision for doors in his hypothetical
building.

Height = infinite, therefore, sockets = infinte. Doesn't matter what
other numbers you put in, once you multiply them infinitely they are
rather high.

Also, a single socket isn't half the size of a double.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim B Jim writes:

[...]

You're assuming all one room. There is much more wall area (and
potential for sockets) if there are several rooms within that.

There is also the limitation on total *length* of the ring to consider.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim B Jim writes:

[...]

Who's talking ********?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim B Jim writes:

[...]

Some of them are.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

You're assuming all one room. There is much more wall area (and
potential for sockets) if there are several rooms within that.

There is also the limitation on total *length* of the ring to consider.

Yup earth loop impedance or voltage drop will get you before you get too
far...

84m total length on a type B MCB

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 May 2007 20:42:25 UTC, Owain
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
There is also the limitation on total *length* of the ring to consider.

But isn't that due to cable size?

If one happens to have a cheap source of 10mm...

Which is why I didn't mention the limit! I guess there *is* one, even
with 10mm, but it would be a really pathological case if one reached
that....

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim B Jim writes:

[...]

Lol! Did you seriously fail to spot this was humour? Did the absurd
assumptions, absurd conclusion and smiley not give any clues here?

The calc above makes a whole string of nonsense assumptions. Your
criticism is not one of them though. If I were a retard calculating on
wall area as you suggest, one would have to take into account the 8'
or so wall height, which would multiply the absurd result by 8'/3",
giving over 40,000 sockets!

NT

PS re doors, I guess you could legally cover those in sockets too

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May, 20:03, Lurch wrote:

Also, a single socket isn't half the size of a double.

fwiw the calc didnt say it was. Number of double sockets was
calculated, then x2 to give number of sockets. This is correct,
despite the absurdity of the whole proposition.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 May 2007 21:42:25 +0100, Owain wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
There is also the limitation on total *length* of the ring to consider.

But isn't that due to cable size?

If one happens to have a cheap source of 10mm...

and _really deep_ back-boxes to take it....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim B Jim writes:

[...]

If anyone were crazy enough, the limit would be far higher than 1333.
There are 8' or so high walls to cover with sockets, the smallest
sockets could be used rather than standard doubles, ceilings and floor
could also be covered, baffles could be fitted to the walls at 90
degrees, thus giving many times more surface for mounting sockets,
doors could be lined on both sides with sockets - or maybe even made
from them! etc etc. However at over £100,000 it would be a very
expensive exercise.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Yup earth loop impedance or voltage drop will get you before you get too
far...

84m total length on a type B MCB

--

that had me worried as I confess I have never taken that into account and
one of my ring length must be getting there. I see that Table 7.1 from a

Think I have just got away with it.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 May 2007 08:53:02 UTC, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Yup earth loop impedance or voltage drop will get you before you get too
far...

84m total length on a type B MCB

that had me worried as I confess I have never taken that into account and
one of my ring length must be getting there. I see that Table 7.1 from a
previous OSG which apparently specified maximum lengths does not appear in
the blue cover edition. Previously Andy Wade has given his usual useful
guidance here http://tinyurl.com/2sskh3

I have one that is near the max length...after installing I measured the
earth loop impedance. It's high, but within the recommended max (which I
forget).

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-05-26, wrote:
On 25 May, 20:26, "Bob Eager" wrote:

There is also the limitation on total *length* of the ring to consider.

If anyone were crazy enough, the limit would be far higher than 1333.
There are 8' or so high walls to cover with sockets, the smallest
sockets could be used rather than standard doubles, ceilings and floor
could also be covered, baffles could be fitted to the walls at 90
degrees, thus giving many times more surface for mounting sockets,
doors could be lined on both sides with sockets - or maybe even made
from them! etc etc. However at over £100,000 it would be a very
expensive exercise.

Hmm. Sounds like an idea for an "installation" to me. I could call it
"socket to me". Plug in a TV in the middle and have it showing that
electrical safety movie from the 60's. Damien Hirst, eat your heart out.

dont forget the bit about conning the public purse into paying for it
all.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim B Jim writes:

[...]

well 100m^2 of floor might be 100meters long and one meter wide, which
is 200m of perimeter. Plenty of room for a couple of doors now.

And by stacking the sockets on top of one another to fill the regulation
space between 450mm and 1.2m or whatever it is, I reckon you could get
about 10,0000 sockets on a ring.

Ive seen some computer rooms like that... ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim Alexander wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
84m total length on a type B MCB

that had me worried as I confess I have never taken that into account and
one of my ring length must be getting there. I see that Table 7.1 from a
previous OSG which apparently specified maximum lengths does not appear in
the blue cover edition.

Uh? Table 7.1 appears on page *42* of the blue edition OSG and also of
the current brown edition.

The 84 m figure for 2.5 mm^2 cable and a Type B MCB is voltage drop
limited on the assumption that the whole 32 A loading occurs at the
mid-point of the ring. For general lightly loaded household rings,
kitchens excepted, no great harm is going to come about if the 84 m
figure is exceeded a little. 84 m of 2.5 conductor will have a max.
resistance at 20 deg. C of 0.62 ohm, so if your r1 & rn end-to-end test
figures exceed that value you should at least consider whether any
remedial action is necessary.

There's nothing to stop you using 4 mm^2 cable if necessary for long
rings, but you do need to do the usual calculations to check Zs (for
disconnection time) and to check for adiabatic compliance of the CPC.
(4 mm^s T&E has a 1.5 mm^2 CPC.)

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And by stacking the sockets on top of one another to fill the regulation
space between 450mm and 1.2m or whatever it is, I reckon you could get
about 10,0000 sockets on a ring.

Be practical! If you actually want to wire them up you will need a
finite length of cable between sockets. Let's say 200 mm between
doubles. Then allow one metre at each end to connect to the dis-board.
Then, observing the 84 m length limit, you could have (84-2)/0.2 + 1 =
411 double sockets - a far more reasonable number.

Now the practicalities of testing such a circuit. High continuity test
resistance reading - oh dear, which socket has a loose terminal screw...

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Wade" wrote in message
Jim Alexander wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
[...]

Your right.

No idea how I missed that but probably because I never considered it and it
wasn't evident in Appendix 8.

Anyway just rechecked the ring and it is 81m from the ring impedance and
1.5sqmm CPC from the CPC measurement. Measured earth fault loop impedance
is 0.55ohms so false alarm really.

Thanks for pointing out the table.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:

Be practical! If you actually want to wire them up you will need a
finite length of cable between sockets. Let's say 200 mm between
doubles. Then allow one metre at each end to connect to the dis-board.
Then, observing the 84 m length limit, you could have (84-2)/0.2 + 1 =
411 double sockets - a far more reasonable number.

Now the practicalities of testing such a circuit. High continuity test
resistance reading - oh dear, which socket has a loose terminal screw...

And just imaging installing the buggers in cheap dry lining backboxes...
I get fed up after doing ten of them!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Owain writes:

Don't cut the conductors at any point in the ring, just loop in and out
of the terminals.

If I'm installing a new ring, my personal challenge to myself
is to do so without cutting any of the conductors. I think it's
about 5 years since I've installed a whole ring from scratch,
but the last two I did, I managed using a single piece of cable
without cutting the conductors.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Owain writes:
Don't cut the conductors at any point in the ring, just loop in and out
of the terminals.

If I'm installing a new ring, my personal challenge to myself
is to do so without cutting any of the conductors. I think it's
about 5 years since I've installed a whole ring from scratch,
but the last two I did, I managed using a single piece of cable
without cutting the conductors.

Which begs the question, why is there not a dedicated tool for slitting
neatly down the middle of T&E without the risk to hands and cable posed
by a knife. They make something similar for round flexes....

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 May 2007 03:58:07 +0100, John Rumm
mused:

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Owain writes:
Don't cut the conductors at any point in the ring, just loop in and out
of the terminals.

If I'm installing a new ring, my personal challenge to myself
is to do so without cutting any of the conductors. I think it's
about 5 years since I've installed a whole ring from scratch,
but the last two I did, I managed using a single piece of cable
without cutting the conductors.

Which begs the question, why is there not a dedicated tool for slitting
neatly down the middle of T&E without the risk to hands and cable posed
by a knife.

They do. One of those Jokari strippers with the rotating blade.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

Which begs the question, why is there not a dedicated tool for slitting
neatly down the middle of T&E without the risk to hands and cable posed
by a knife.

They do. One of those Jokari strippers with the rotating blade.

Are they any good, and can you use them on the middle of a cable rather
than just the end?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 May 2007 12:57:51 +0100, John Rumm
mused:

Lurch wrote:

Which begs the question, why is there not a dedicated tool for slitting
neatly down the middle of T&E without the risk to hands and cable posed
by a knife.

They do. One of those Jokari strippers with the rotating blade.

Are they any good, and can you use them on the middle of a cable rather
than just the end?

Never tried it tbh, just used it on SWA, but I see no reason why it
wouldn't work. Might need some attention paying to how it does it and
some practicing first.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Ring main...or not Ben UK diy 22 April 14th 07 05:36 PM
Spurs off a ring main [email protected] UK diy 14 October 15th 06 12:15 PM
New ring main in kitchen Barry UK diy 12 July 19th 06 09:57 AM
Radial-main, Ring-main or Spur? Dazzler UK diy 7 August 11th 05 04:26 PM
Ring Main help Denis UK diy 10 February 15th 05 10:08 PM