Junior Member

Default Ring Main help

I am putting a ring main into the Garage.
The ring was already there, but we had some major work done on the house, and the connection between it and the consumer unit had to go. I don't know whether that had ever worked, as I didn't try it before it was disconnected. I do know that the extension cable I fed it from worked OK - all sockets functioned.

I have just fed two cables through to make the ring - links to two junction boxes in the garage. Really careful with these simple connections, but the RCD on the consumer unit blows every time I try it, with nothing connected in the garage. Where should I start looking?

Thanks in advance

Denis
Lurch

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:11:10 -0000, Gary Cavie
strung together this:

Check all the back boxes for trapped neutral or live wires against the
earth - are the back boxes metal?

Bet I know what's wrong.
--

SJW
Andrew Chesters

Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:11:10 -0000, Gary Cavie
strung together this:

Check all the back boxes for trapped neutral or live wires against the
earth - are the back boxes metal?

Bet I know what's wrong.

I'll put money on a neutral in the wrong buss!

Andrew
Lurch

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:38:03 +0000, Andrew Chesters
strung together this:

Bet I know what's wrong.

I'll put money on a neutral in the wrong buss!

Shhh... I'm not going to tell anyone on diybanter that though.
--

SJW
Andrew Chesters

Lurch wrote:
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:38:03 +0000, Andrew Chesters
strung together this:

Bet I know what's wrong.

I'll put money on a neutral in the wrong buss!

Shhh... I'm not going to tell anyone on diybanter that though.

Don't read it. Full of Trolls/Fwits?
Andy Burns

Andrew Chesters wrote:

Don't read it.

Indirectly you do, it has (or is?) a webforum-usenet interface, this
thread started out life there ...

Andrew Chesters

Andy Burns wrote:
Andrew Chesters wrote:

Don't read it.

Indirectly you do, it has (or is?) a webforum-usenet interface, this
thread started out life there ...

Ahh, I see. So there are one or two around! :-)
Lurch

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:29:46 +0000, Andrew Chesters
strung together this:

Don't read it.

Indirectly you do, it has (or is?) a webforum-usenet interface, this
thread started out life there ...

Ahh, I see. So there are one or two around! :-)

Yep, but diybanter is in the killfile here so all is well.
--

SJW

Junior Member

When you say you have 'just' fed two cables, presumably you meant on the
31st of December, didn't you?[/quote]

On the 29th, actually!

Thanks for all the tips - as sure as I can be that everything is in the right bus.

You are correct in all metal boxes, but I don't get why that wouldn't give a short when it all worked via an extension cable, but than I have just come off a heavy 12 hour shift, and am not at my best.

When I can get out there in the light (i.e. the weekend, I'll run thru all the suggestions carefully, and get you helpful guys an update.

Thanks again

Denis