Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spurs off a ring main

Hi,

I have a ring main in my kitchen with 7 double sockets with a spur for
an under unit light. My questions is can I take a spur off 2 of the
double sockets to create 2 more double sockets?

The ring main goes back to my consumer unit which has a 32 amp fuse.

I need the spurs to relocate some of my applicence therefore not all of
the sockets will be used at the same time.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Stuart contains these words:

As I understand it, you can only have a single fitting off a spur. So
/two/ double sockets on one spur is out.

One double on each of two different sockets should be OK.

The latter is what I understood to be the OP's intention ...

I thought so too - which was why mentioned it!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from BBNews contains these words:

All seems a bit silly these days when most people have at least a dozen
things plugged in behind their tv and computer

Ah, but that's done with dodgy socket strips, so it's OK.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from contains these words:

But they /are/ protected by a 13a (or lower) fuse. Several sockets loaded to
3kw on a spur with 2.5mm wiring will overload the fixed wiring.

Shouldn't do - that's what the 32A breaker in the fusebox is for!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 17:56:33 UTC, Huge

On 2006-10-14, Guy King wrote:
The message
from BBNews contains these words:

All seems a bit silly these days when most people have at least a dozen
things plugged in behind their tv and computer

Ah, but that's done with dodgy socket strips, so it's OK.

Dodgy? Pish and tush, Sir, I have splendid Olson strips in my
study. 3 x 12 way ones.

That's not OK, then. You have to use dodgy ones!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Guy King contains these words:

But they /are/ protected by a 13a (or lower) fuse. Several sockets
loaded to
3kw on a spur with 2.5mm wiring will overload the fixed wiring.

Shouldn't do - that's what the 32A breaker in the fusebox is for!

But the spur is in effect a radial circuit and radials in 2.5mm have 20A MCBs.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from contains these words:

Two double sockets with 3 outlets loaded to 3 kw will put ~36A on the 2.5mm
cable, well above it's required capacity of 20A.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about a ring circuit. Yes, on a spur it
will - but that's why you're not allowed more than one double socket on
a spur!

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from contains these words:

Two double sockets with 3 outlets loaded to 3 kw will put ~36A on the 2.5mm
cable, well above it's required capacity of 20A.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about a ring circuit. Yes, on a spur it
will - but that's why you're not allowed more than one double socket on
a spur!

What about a switched fused spur?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

One double on each of two different sockets should be OK.

Yes this is what I was looking to do. One double as a spur off of two
different sockets on the ring main.

Cheers for all the comments,

James

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

What about a switched fused spur?

You can have as many sockets as you like on a fused spur, provided you
don't expect the total load to exceed 13 A.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 10:59:15 +0100 someone who may be The Natural
Philosopher wrote this:-

Sorry, I thought we were talking about a ring circuit. Yes, on a spur it
will - but that's why you're not allowed more than one double socket on
a spur!

What about a switched fused spur?

Then that part of the circuit changes from an unfused spur to a
fused spur. On a fused spur one can do all sorts of things that are
not allowed on an unfused spur.

Of course on a fused spur one must put one's finger in the air and
evaluate the likely diversity of loads on the spur. Otherwise it may
become something of a nuisance when the protective device operates
frequently. One also has to look at issues of the earth loop
impedance of the cable size.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh