Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Default Ring main...or not

Hi,

Can anyone advise? I have what I think is the ringmain in a room, set
into the brickwork behind the plaster. It runs at the same level as
the sockets, and looks exactly right for a ringmain. It has been
chased very badly such that at certain points it rises proud of the
plaster (corners etc). However, it has a brass outer skin. This made
me think gas pipe, but there is no gas pipe of that description going
from the meter, and no gas in the room. My voltstick registers
nothing, but the brass would shield it anyway, so that's no surprise.
Any thoughts? Is this just a bely and braces solution to stop people
accidentally chopping the cable?

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How old is your house? Old enough to have had gas lighting?

Is it of unusual construction e.g. solid granite?

The cable may be pyro, a copper jacketed cable intended for surface
mounting, (e.g.on solid stone walls) and the plaster added
subsequently.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr 2007 10:11:57 -0700, " mused:

How old is your house? Old enough to have had gas lighting?

Is it of unusual construction e.g. solid granite?

The cable may be pyro, a copper jacketed cable intended for surface
mounting, (e.g.on solid stone walls) and the plaster added
subsequently.

That was my first thought. There are a few houses round here that have
suffered damp problems on the groun floors so downstairs sockets have
been run in in MICC. As it`s got an earthed metal cover then you can
run it pretty much wherever you want too.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

On 13 Apr, 19:02, Lurch wrote:
On 13 Apr 2007 10:11:57 -0700, " mused:

How old is your house? Old enough to have had gas lighting?

Is it of unusual construction e.g. solid granite?

The cable may be pyro, a copper jacketed cable intended for surface
mounting, (e.g.on solid stone walls) and the plaster added
subsequently.

That was my first thought. There are a few houses round here that have
suffered damp problems on the groun floors so downstairs sockets have
been run in in MICC. As it`s got an earthed metal cover then you can
run it pretty much wherever you want too.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

The building is 1920's, but has been retrofitted with new electrics at
some point. The wire in question crosses a blocked in fireplace, so it
can't be original. It is chiseled into the brickwork for most of its
length, except a few places. I'm on the top floor, so I doubt that
damp is a problem.

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr 2007 11:17:00 -0700, "Ben"
mused:

On 13 Apr, 19:02, Lurch wrote:
[...]

Does sound like it could be MICC. Can you not expose a bit and provide
us with a photo?
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr, 19:02, Lurch wrote:
[...]

Stuart.- Hide quoted text -

take a look at the wires in one of the accessories it serves

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

On 13 Apr, 19:02, Lurch wrote:
[...]

By the time they make it into the socket boxes they are two black
insulated cores (makes live/neutral identification interesting!)

A photo is he

http://www.bbarker.co.uk/cable.JPG

I suspect the suggestion of MICC may be correct though.

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben wrote:
By the time they make it into the socket boxes they are two black
insulated cores (makes live/neutral identification interesting!)

A photo is he

http://www.bbarker.co.uk/cable.JPG

Yup that is MICC / Pyro

(no need to post four times - we heard the first!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

On 13 Apr, 20:13, John Rumm wrote:
Ben wrote:
By the time they make it into the socket boxes they are two black
insulated cores (makes live/neutral identification interesting!)

A photo is he

http://www.bbarker.co.uk/cable.JPG

Yup that is MICC / Pyro

(no need to post four times - we heard the first!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Yeah, I'm not sure what went on there. I think it was each time I
refreshed the page it resent the post data and added a new post. Sort
about that :-)

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 20:13:34 +0100, John Rumm
mused:

Ben wrote:
By the time they make it into the socket boxes they are two black
insulated cores (makes live/neutral identification interesting!)

A photo is he

http://www.bbarker.co.uk/cable.JPG

Yup that is MICC / Pyro

Whoever did the polarity and installation tests should have identified
the conductors. The black wires you see are site applied, the actual
presentation of a terminated MICC pot is actually 2 bare copper wires.
You can get sleeving in most colours which makes identification
easier, but most people use exclusively black sleeving and coloured
tape for some reason.

(no need to post four times - we heard the first!)

Seven and counting.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ben Ben is offline

Ben wrote:
By the time they make it into the socket boxes they are two black
insulated cores (makes live/neutral identification interesting!)

A photo is he

http://www.bbarker.co.uk/cable.JPG

Yup that is MICC / Pyro

Whoever did the polarity and installation tests should have identified
the conductors. The black wires you see are site applied, the actual
presentation of a terminated MICC pot is actually 2 bare copper wires.
You can get sleeving in most colours which makes identification
easier, but most people use exclusively black sleeving and coloured
tape for some reason.

(no need to post four times - we heard the first!)

Seven and counting.
--
Regards,
Stuart.

Thanks for that. If I want to in insert a socket into the main is
there anything special to know about this cable, or is it just like
any other - since it's unlabeled I'll have to do a continuity check to
work out live and neutral. How about earth? Is the sheath used for
that...?

Cheers,

Ben

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Apr 2007 14:45:27 -0700, "Ben"
mused:

Ben wrote:
[...]

Gogle MICC termination and tools. Costs a fair few quid for the proper
kit and not many people can actually terminate MICC properly.

since it's unlabeled I'll have to do a continuity check to
work out live and neutral. How about earth? Is the sheath used for
that...?

Usually sheath is earth, yes.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ben" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ben wrote:
[...]

Ah, Yes the earth is the sheath, but special tools and glands are need for
the cable ends if is just a one off you may find it better to get the pro
in, and warn them it is a MICC cable....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lurch wrote:

Gogle MICC termination and tools. Costs a fair few quid for the proper
kit and not many people can actually terminate MICC properly.

One option if you don't have the tools and experience, and there is no
particular reason to need MICC, is going back to T&E for the new wiring,
and replacing the existing MICC at the point(s) you plan to join to the
ring.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lurch
writes
Gogle MICC termination and tools. Costs a fair few quid for the proper
kit and not many people can actually terminate MICC properly.

Very easy for beginners to end up with shorted ends.

Proper assembly requires a bit of practice and an insulation tester.

Once you've done a few hundred you get used to it. :P

--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 23:53:02 GMT, Clive Mitchell
mused:

In message , Lurch
writes
Gogle MICC termination and tools. Costs a fair few quid for the proper
kit and not many people can actually terminate MICC properly.

Very easy for beginners to end up with shorted ends.

Proper assembly requires a bit of practice and an insulation tester.

Just to confirm, I wasn't suggesting the OP actually reterminates any
MICC, just that he has a look at what he can't do.

Once you've done a few hundred you get used to it. :P

I've still got my first 4 MICC pots from college (2L1.5). Perfect, and
that was the first 4 of many more perfect terminations.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben, as you are discovering, Google groups is a poor way to contribute to
Usenet.
If your ISP (Be) dosn't offer a newserver, you can sign up for a free
account with
news.datemas.de
or, if you dont mind paying a few Euros
news.individual.net

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Spurs off a ring main [email protected] UK diy 14 October 15th 06 12:15 PM
Load on a ring main Andy UK diy 17 August 23rd 06 01:09 AM
Making a New Ring Main Kev UK diy 3 December 14th 05 02:29 PM
Radial-main, Ring-main or Spur? Dazzler UK diy 7 August 11th 05 04:26 PM
Ring Main help Denis UK diy 10 February 15th 05 10:08 PM