Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Load on a ring main

Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a homebrew boiler. It's basically a
stainless vessel with two integral 3kW heating elements.
The elements are capable of being switched independently
but there are times where I'd require both of them on. I intend
to use the boiler in my garage which has sockets served via
a RCD fusebox (don't know exact term for it) which is run as
a spur off the downstairs ring main. The downstairs ringmain
is connected to a 32A MCB, the house was constructed in
1990.

My question is, am I OK to operate the boiler with both 3kW
elements on given the above configuration ? I'd obviously
ensure that any additional load on the ringmain was minimised
by switching off TV, PC, washing machines etc. 6kW would
draw 25A - would my ringmain be OK with this ?

Cheers!

Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Presumably your garage is on a 16A spur from the ring main?

The answer is no. Your peak power demand is around 25A and requires a
dedicated radial as well the appliance being wired in.

Can we ask what you're cooking up with a 6KW boiler?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My question is, am I OK to operate the boiler with both 3kW
elements on given the above configuration ?

Absolutely not. The load is completely unsuitable for your electrical
installation.

It isn't clear if your spur is fused or unfused. A fused spur can supply 13A
and an unfused spur is rated for 20A.

However, even if you ran only one of the elements, it still isn't allowed,
as immersion heaters are not allowed on socket circuits, as they are
inappropriate to the diversity calculations used to justify them.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Aug 2006 05:54:53 -0700 someone who may be "Andy"
wrote this:-

I'm looking at purchasing a homebrew boiler. It's basically a
stainless vessel with two integral 3kW heating elements.
The elements are capable of being switched independently
but there are times where I'd require both of them on.

Quite a big boiler by the sound of it. Sounds like it is not
portable equipment and thus should be connected permanently to the
supply.

You will need a proper sub-main from your consumer unit to say a
four way board in the garage. From there you can run circuits to the
boiler, sockets, lights and so on.

The boiler should have a switch nearby. If it is vaguely portable
you might consider fitting a 32A BS4343 plug to the lead, which can
be plugged into a suitable socket.

Of you are in England or Wales beware of Mr Prescott.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I'm looking at purchasing a homebrew boiler. It's basically a
stainless vessel with two integral 3kW heating elements.
The elements are capable of being switched independently
but there are times where I'd require both of them on.

Quite a big boiler by the sound of it. Sounds like it is not
portable equipment and thus should be connected permanently to the
supply.

No, it's very portable.

You will need a proper sub-main from your consumer unit to say a
four way board in the garage. From there you can run circuits to the
boiler, sockets, lights and so on.

The boiler should have a switch nearby. If it is vaguely portable
you might consider fitting a 32A BS4343 plug to the lead, which can
be plugged into a suitable socket.

Sounds like waaay too much hassle so I won't bother with the purchase.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I'm looking at purchasing a homebrew boiler. I

Sounds like waaay too much hassle so I won't bother with the purchase.

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

What a bunch of spoil-sports -- there was a great chance for us all
to get free beer, and you all blow it out of the water !!

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

[...]

there are ways it can be run in the house off 2 sockets, each one on a
separate ring, but... the house just isnt set up for this kind of load.

NT

New ring main in kitchen Barry UK diy 12 July 19th 06 09:57 AM
Ring Main addition-20 or 30 amp junction box? Blair UK diy 3 December 1st 05 01:57 PM
power limit for connection to a ring main? David Hansen UK diy 2 November 9th 05 09:14 AM
Spacing of junction boxes and fcus on a ring circuit chopsaw UK diy 3 March 15th 05 06:25 AM
extending a ring main Paul Draper UK diy 7 July 4th 03 07:43 PM