Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blair

Default Ring Main addition-20 or 30 amp junction box?

I am adding two extra double sockets to my kitchen ring main and I was
proposing to fit two 20 amp junction boxes to enable me to add the extra
sockets.
A friend said I should fit 30 amp junction boxes instead of 20 amp
Is this essential?
So far I have not seen any 30amp boxes in B&Q or Wickes
Blair

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster

Blair wrote:
I am adding two extra double sockets to my kitchen ring main and I was
proposing to fit two 20 amp junction boxes to enable me to add the extra
sockets.
A friend said I should fit 30 amp junction boxes instead of 20 amp
Is this essential?
So far I have not seen any 30amp boxes in B&Q or Wickes

I'm surprised - they're readily available: eg

These have three terminals; the 20A ones you've seen typically have
four, right? (for use with lighting circuits)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Blair wrote:
I am adding two extra double sockets to my kitchen ring main and I was
proposing to fit two 20 amp junction boxes to enable me to add the extra
sockets.
A friend said I should fit 30 amp junction boxes instead of 20 amp
Is this essential?
So far I have not seen any 30amp boxes in B&Q or Wickes

30 amp - three terminals instead of four. Your nearest wholesaler will
have them and happily serve you.

--
*I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Blair

"Blair" wrote in message
I am adding two extra double sockets to my kitchen ring main and I was
proposing to fit two 20 amp junction boxes to enable me to add the extra
sockets.
A friend said I should fit 30 amp junction boxes instead of 20 amp
Is this essential?
So far I have not seen any 30amp boxes in B&Q or Wickes
Blair

Lobster and Dave
Thanks for your help
Blair