Dazzler

Default Radial-main, Ring-main or Spur?

I have a socket at the top of my stairs which only has one cable into it.
How do I find out if this is a spur off a ring main or if its the last
socket on a radial main?
The house is about 30 years old and a straight forward 3 bed semi on an
estate.
Is there anyway of finding out without having to lift the boards?

Switch off the ring main at the Consumer Unit and see if the socket
still works.

Cheers

Richard

Rob Convery

wrote in message
oups.com...
Switch off the ring main at the Consumer Unit and see if the socket
still works.

Cheers

Richard

How will that help?

If its a spur off the ring (which is off) it will be off
If its the last on the ring it will be off

Good point, sorry misunderstood question! more sleep less
DIY............

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Rob Convery" writes:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Switch off the ring main at the Consumer Unit and see if the socket
still works.

How will that help?

If its a spur off the ring (which is off) it will be off
If its the last on the ring it will be off

If it was last on the ring circuit, it would have two cables
into it, which it apparently doesn't.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Rob Convery

"Andrew Gabriel" andrew@a17 wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Rob Convery" writes:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Switch off the ring main at the Consumer Unit and see if the socket
still works.

How will that help?

If its a spur off the ring (which is off) it will be off
If its the last on the ring it will be off

If it was last on the ring circuit, it would have two cables
into it, which it apparently doesn't.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Sorry my typo I mean last on a radial ring

TheScullster

Sorry my typo I mean last on a radial ring

Radial ring - sounds like a contradiction in terms even to a newbie like me!

Phil

Rob Convery

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Sorry my typo I mean last on a radial ring

Radial ring - sounds like a contradiction in terms even to a newbie like
me!

Phil

OK brain is not quite working at the moment Spent too much time workin on
getting my kitchen in

Spacing of junction boxes and fcus on a ring circuit chopsaw UK diy 3 March 15th 05 06:25 AM
New kitchen ring main a UK diy 5 August 23rd 04 11:36 AM
Is it a radial or ring circuit? Paul UK diy 14 September 4th 03 04:48 PM
Question regarding adding an extra socket to the ring main Fiona Reid UK diy 10 September 3rd 03 04:45 PM
extending a ring main Paul Draper UK diy 7 July 4th 03 07:43 PM