Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Do ring main cables have to be concealed (i.e., chased or in trunking)?

I want to have an extra socket in a utility room. The easiest way to
route the cable would be horizontally from an existing socket, then
neatly around the door frame, to the place where I want it. The room
has a solid floor and a solid ceiling. If I route the cable around the
door frame, as mentioned, has it got to be in trunking? I think it
would be neater without.

Thank you...

Rich
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 May, 12:35, Rich wrote:
I want to have an extra socket in a utility room. The easiest way to
route the cable would be horizontally from an existing socket, then
neatly around the door frame, to the place where I want it. The room
has a solid floor and a solid ceiling. If I route the cable around the
door frame, as mentioned, has it got to be in trunking? I think it
would be neater without.

Thank you...

Rich

Hi Rich.

Its all about mechanical protection. eg.. If you were hovering and
slap it with tthe hoover.

Typical Twin & Earth cable (T&E) on its own isn't the toughest
cable... infact, its only really designed to suffer scuffs and light
abrasion when pulling in.

If it were me, i'd find a way of doing it where it can be protected
inside a wall, trunking etc.
Have you looked at Oval conduit or mini trunking?

Also... have a look at your local B&Q... the have many ways of
offering protection such low profile concealers.

Shay

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rich wrote:

I want to have an extra socket in a utility room. The easiest way to
route the cable would be horizontally from an existing socket, then
neatly around the door frame, to the place where I want it. The room
has a solid floor and a solid ceiling. If I route the cable around the
door frame, as mentioned, has it got to be in trunking? I think it
would be neater without.

If you surface wire then you can follow any route you like. However the
proposed route would not be suitable if the cable were chased into the
wall. The cable does not have to be in trunking, but you need to erect
it in such a way as it is unlikely to get damaged.

You might consider instead running straight up from the current socket
to the top of the wall. Then along at just below ceiling level, then
back down to the required position. That way it would be following a
permitted route should you wish to chase it in later (say next time the
room is decorated).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rich wrote:
I want to have an extra socket in a utility room. The easiest way to
route the cable would be horizontally from an existing socket, then
neatly around the door frame, to the place where I want it. The room
has a solid floor and a solid ceiling. If I route the cable around the
door frame, as mentioned, has it got to be in trunking? I think it
would be neater without.

It's ok without trunking - but be sensible about the run to prevent
accidental damage from Hoovers, chair legs etc.

--
*To err is human. To forgive is against company policy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rich writes:

I want to have an extra socket in a utility room. The easiest way to
route the cable would be horizontally from an existing socket, then
neatly around the door frame, to the place where I want it. The room
has a solid floor and a solid ceiling. If I route the cable around the
door frame, as mentioned, has it got to be in trunking? I think it
would be neater without.

No, cables don't have to be concealed.
Actually, if they are concealed, there are restrictions
on where they are allowed to be routed.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rich" wrote in message

I want to have an extra socket in a utility room. The easiest way to
route the cable would be horizontally from an existing socket, then
neatly around the door frame, to the place where I want it. The room
has a solid floor and a solid ceiling. If I route the cable around the
door frame, as mentioned, has it got to be in trunking? I think it
would be neater without.

Thank you...

Rich

Put it how you like, you ask a very odd question.
Who is going to know anyway unless you take a full page advert in the local
papers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 May 2007 04:38:04 -0700, Shay wrote:

Also... have a look at your local B&Q... the have many ways of
offering protection such low profile concealers.

Ok - thanks for the suggestions.

Rich

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2007 12:49:56 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

If you surface wire then you can follow any route you like. However the
proposed route would not be suitable if the cable were chased into the
wall.

Yes - I wondered about that. Another reason for surface-wiring it.

The cable does not have to be in trunking, but you need to erect
it in such a way as it is unlikely to get damaged.

Well, it will be well above floor level.

You might consider instead running straight up from the current socket
to the top of the wall. Then along at just below ceiling level, then
back down to the required position. That way it would be following a
permitted route should you wish to chase it in later (say next time the
room is decorated).

That's a possibility. Thanks for the suggestions and info.

Rich

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2007 15:41:28 +0100, "Pete" wrote:

If I route the cable around the
door frame, as mentioned, has it got to be in trunking? I think it
would be neater without.

Thank you...

Rich

Put it how you like, you ask a very odd question.
Who is going to know anyway unless you take a full page advert in the local
papers.

I just didn't want to plan anything that's blatently illegal or
cowboyish-looking. I'm mainly wary of causing myself problems when I
come to sell the place or rent it out - wither of which is very
possible shortly.

Rich

Ring main...or not Ben UK diy 22 April 14th 07 05:36 PM
Installation zones for concealed cables Andy Hall UK diy 6 September 23rd 06 02:35 PM
Radial-main, Ring-main or Spur? Dazzler UK diy 7 August 11th 05 04:26 PM
Extra cables to the main breaker box Jag Man Home Repair 6 March 11th 05 05:30 PM
Ring Main help Denis UK diy 10 February 15th 05 10:08 PM