Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Do ring main cables have to be concealed (i.e., chased or intrunking)?

Rich wrote:

I want to have an extra socket in a utility room. The easiest way to
route the cable would be horizontally from an existing socket, then
neatly around the door frame, to the place where I want it. The room
has a solid floor and a solid ceiling. If I route the cable around the
door frame, as mentioned, has it got to be in trunking? I think it
would be neater without.

If you surface wire then you can follow any route you like. However the
proposed route would not be suitable if the cable were chased into the
wall. The cable does not have to be in trunking, but you need to erect
it in such a way as it is unlikely to get damaged.

You might consider instead running straight up from the current socket
to the top of the wall. Then along at just below ceiling level, then
back down to the required position. That way it would be following a
permitted route should you wish to chase it in later (say next time the
room is decorated).

--
Cheers,

John.