Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable clips.....

Set about installing a new external light at the rear of the house today. No
problem until I get to the outside of the house, and I try and clip the
cable to the wall.

I have tried and tried to get the clips to go in, but I reckon the mortar is
more like reinforced concrete, the clips will only go halfway in before
bending over. The clips I am using are from TLC-Direct,
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TC58G.html in the past I have had no
problems getting them into walls etc, but we have just moved house, and
therefore into unknown territory.

Any suggestions or ideas??

thanks

Vernon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vernon" wrote in message
Set about installing a new external light at the rear of the house today.
No problem until I get to the outside of the house, and I try and clip the
cable to the wall.

I have tried and tried to get the clips to go in, but I reckon the mortar
is more like reinforced concrete, the clips will only go halfway in before
bending over. The clips I am using are from TLC-Direct,
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TC58G.html in the past I have had no
problems getting them into walls etc, but we have just moved house, and
therefore into unknown territory.

Any suggestions or ideas??

thanks

Vernon

You can get from most electrical wholesalers, and perhaps B&Q plastic wall
plugs for the cable clip nails.......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2007 18:39:52 GMT, "Vernon"
mused:

Set about installing a new external light at the rear of the house today. No
problem until I get to the outside of the house, and I try and clip the
cable to the wall.

I have tried and tried to get the clips to go in, but I reckon the mortar is
more like reinforced concrete, the clips will only go halfway in before
bending over. The clips I am using are from TLC-Direct,
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TC58G.html in the past I have had no
problems getting them into walls etc, but we have just moved house, and
therefore into unknown territory.

Any suggestions or ideas??

There's a knack to it, but if you haven't got the knack then you can
cheat by using plugs made for clips or by using smallish screws or
nails and yellow or red plugs instead.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Vernon" writes:
Set about installing a new external light at the rear of the house today. No
problem until I get to the outside of the house, and I try and clip the
cable to the wall.

I have tried and tried to get the clips to go in, but I reckon the mortar is
more like reinforced concrete, the clips will only go halfway in before
bending over. The clips I am using are from TLC-Direct,

If they bend much without snapping, they aren't very hardened.
Remember to use eye protection (if they are hardened).

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TC58G.html in the past I have had no
problems getting them into walls etc, but we have just moved house, and
therefore into unknown territory.

Any suggestions or ideas??

I tend to tap them gently lots of times, rather than trying to
get them in in a couple of blows.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vernon wrote:

Any suggestions or ideas??

Pin Plug, page 10:

http://www.towerman.co.uk/pdf/tower_catalogue.pdf

(don't know where to order them online though)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vernon" wrote in message
Set about installing a new external light at the rear of the house today.
No problem until I get to the outside of the house, and I try and clip the
cable to the wall.

I have tried and tried to get the clips to go in, but I reckon the mortar
is more like reinforced concrete, the clips will only go halfway in before
bending over. The clips I am using are from TLC-Direct,
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TC58G.html in the past I have had no
problems getting them into walls etc, but we have just moved house, and
therefore into unknown territory.

Tower do a pin wall plug P/N 55PP1 ...
http://www.towerman.co.uk/pdf/fixings/hammerfix.pdf

Since I have some I suspect they are available in the bigger B&Qs

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tower do a pin wall plug P/N 55PP1 ...
http://www.towerman.co.uk/pdf/fixings/hammerfix.pdf

Since I have some I suspect they are available in the bigger B&Qs

Jim A

Thanks,

Got a large B&Q in town will take a look in the morning...........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any suggestions or ideas??

I tend to tap them gently lots of times, rather than trying to
get them in in a couple of blows.

Indeed I tried both methods, in both cases as you got about 4-5 mm into the
wall, the sound changed and the things would just bend! Most annoying

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2007 21:13:17 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Vernon wrote:

Any suggestions or ideas??

Pin Plug, page 10:

http://www.towerman.co.uk/pdf/tower_catalogue.pdf

(don't know where to order them online though)

Well done Sir - I had no idea that they did that comprehensive range
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vernon" wrote in message

Tower do a pin wall plug P/N 55PP1 ...
http://www.towerman.co.uk/pdf/fixings/hammerfix.pdf

Since I have some I suspect they are available in the bigger B&Qs

Jim A

Thanks,

Got a large B&Q in town will take a look in the morning...........

A tip someone once gave me was to nail them directly below a vertical course
of mortar (rather than directly under a brick if you understand my
meaning) - on the basis that the mortar has not been subject to weight as it
set.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2007 22:57:10 GMT
"Vernon" wrote:

Any suggestions or ideas??

I tend to tap them gently lots of times, rather than trying to
get them in in a couple of blows.

Indeed I tried both methods, in both cases as you got about 4-5 mm
into the wall, the sound changed and the things would just bend! Most
annoying

No chance that you are nailing into a steel lintel under the screed,
I suppose? That would do this every time. There must be some sort of
material change for this to happen at a consistent depth - I'd do an
investigatory drill to find out.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I tend to tap them gently lots of times, rather than trying to
get them in in a couple of blows.

Yes. I find a heavy hammer - a club one - used in this way the most
likely to succeed. Although it still requires a deal of skill if the
material is hard. Using the special wallplugs makes life easy - if it's
easy to drill at the location. But they're not that readily available -
TLC etc don't seem to stock them anymore. I've often meant to look for a
cable tie with screw fixing at a reasonable cost - this could have many
such uses.

--

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:41:35 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I tend to tap them gently lots of times, rather than trying to
get them in in a couple of blows.

Yes. I find a heavy hammer - a club one - used in this way the most
likely to succeed. Although it still requires a deal of skill if the
material is hard. Using the special wallplugs makes life easy - if it's
easy to drill at the location. But they're not that readily available -
TLC etc don't seem to stock them anymore. I've often meant to look for a
cable tie with screw fixing at a reasonable cost - this could have many
such uses.

If you find one, do let us know...I really need sometuing like that.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No chance that you are nailing into a steel lintel under the screed,
I suppose? That would do this every time. There must be some sort of
material change for this to happen at a consistent depth - I'd do an
investigatory drill to find out.

R.

Thanks guys,

Took a stroll around B&Q today, and in the electrical section along with the
cable clips, they had the tower pin plugs. Job done. In answer to the above,
there was nothing behind, just rock hard cement I guess, but drill went in
ok.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vernon wrote:
Took a stroll around B&Q today, and in the electrical section along with
the cable clips, they had the tower pin plugs.

Nice to know. Now all I need is an SDS bit in that size. ;-)

--
*If I worked as much as others, I would do as little as they *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vernon wrote:
Set about installing a new external light at the rear of the house today. No
problem until I get to the outside of the house, and I try and clip the
cable to the wall.

snip
Any suggestions or ideas??

Yep.
A far neater and quicker solution if you can't get clips in is to use
some mini-trunking and drill, plug, screw every 18" or so.

When I was installing electronic time systems the flat-packed stuff
which came rolled up in a box was used everywhere.
R-S used to do it.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...g_1/index.html
for example. All seems to be self adhesive but you can just screw to the
wall.

Just pull as much as you need out the box, cut to length (channel + lid
rolled up as one) fold up, fix and clip the lid on.

The open ends of the trunk can be closed over by cutting the lid longer
than the trunk, removing the "track" with a stanley knife and folding it
over before clipping.

Both internal and external angles can be made in the same way so corners
can also be made neatly.

Plus it keeps the elements off the cable (not that that's really a problem)

Just another idea as I have experienced walls many times where the brick
is too hard and the mortar either too brittle or too soft for normal clips.

HTH
Pete

--
http://www.gymratz.co.uk
Gym Equipment & Fitness equipment in the UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vernon wrote:
Took a stroll around B&Q today, and in the electrical section along with
the cable clips, they had the tower pin plugs. Job done. In answer to
the above, there was nothing behind, just rock hard cement I guess, but
drill went in ok.

Found them in my local B&Q - thanks. But no indication of drill size
needed on the box or plugs. They are just under 5mm in diameter but I'd
guess need an interference fit. I was also surprised to find a 4mm SDS
drill on sale - didn't think they did them that small. Perhaps it would be
ideal?

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 May, 10:13, "Bob Eager" wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:41:35 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
I've often meant to look for a
cable tie with screw fixing at a reasonable cost - this could have many
such uses.

If you find one, do let us know...I really need sometuing like that.

Screwfix do them he http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...89036&ts=31065.
They look like the ones in the Tower catalogue already pointed to.
I've used them on timber but never had an opportunity to try them in
masonry.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2007 16:00:43 UTC, Andrew
wrote:

On 15 May, 10:13, "Bob Eager" wrote:
On Tue, 15 May 2007 08:41:35 UTC, "Dave Plowman (News)"
I've often meant to look for a
cable tie with screw fixing at a reasonable cost - this could have many
such uses.

If you find one, do let us know...I really need something like that.

Screwfix do them he http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...89036&ts=31065.

Thanks, I'll note that. Currently out of stock though!

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Vernon wrote:
Took a stroll around B&Q today, and in the electrical section along with
the cable clips, they had the tower pin plugs. Job done. In answer to
the above, there was nothing behind, just rock hard cement I guess, but
drill went in ok.

Found them in my local B&Q - thanks. But no indication of drill size
needed on the box or plugs. They are just under 5mm in diameter but I'd
guess need an interference fit. I was also surprised to find a 4mm SDS
drill on sale - didn't think they did them that small. Perhaps it would be
ideal?

5mm Is the size indicated on the website. I did think they would have put
that information on the box, no such luck .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vernon wrote:
Found them in my local B&Q - thanks. But no indication of drill size
needed on the box or plugs. They are just under 5mm in diameter but
I'd guess need an interference fit. I was also surprised to find a 4mm
SDS drill on sale - didn't think they did them that small. Perhaps it
would be ideal?

5mm Is the size indicated on the website. I did think they would have
put that information on the box, no such luck .....

Thanks for that - I should have thought of checking their site. As you say
it doesn't take much effort to print the required information on the box.

--
*I don't have a solution, but I admire your problem. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Vernon wrote:
Took a stroll around B&Q today, and in the electrical section along with
the cable clips, they had the tower pin plugs. Job done. In answer to
the above, there was nothing behind, just rock hard cement I guess, but
drill went in ok.

Found them in my local B&Q - thanks. But no indication of drill size
needed on the box or plugs. They are just under 5mm in diameter but I'd
guess need an interference fit. I was also surprised to find a 4mm SDS
drill on sale - didn't think they did them that small. Perhaps it would be
ideal?

4mm and 4.5mm SDS drills seem to come and go at random. Sometimes
they are widely available then other times (usually when I want one)
no one is stocking them. Last time I wanted some I found them on
Ebay.

--
Chris Green

Sink clips Anna Kettle UK diy 14 December 22nd 05 08:23 PM
Floorboard clips? Tom Corcoran UK diy 7 July 20th 05 02:58 AM
Starlock clips Mike Clarke UK diy 5 November 8th 04 05:47 PM
Looking for small jumper-cable type alligator clips Frank Home Repair 39 October 20th 04 01:02 PM
Sink Clips Caliban Home Repair 4 September 3rd 03 08:40 PM