Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laser printer transfer drum

I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3
black stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the
transfer roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a
new transfer roller?

I do a bit for those that can not buy a brand new computer, such as
pensioners and those on low income. I was hoping to pass this onto
someone who is still running Win 98 as it is not recognized in XP.

I notice that the roller should not be exposed to daylight and I suspect
that was what has happened to this printer. Is there a fix for this?

Dave

ps. I posted this in uk.comp. misc and got no replies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3 black
stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the transfer
roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a new
transfer roller?

I do a bit for those that can not buy a brand new computer, such as
pensioners and those on low income. I was hoping to pass this onto someone
who is still running Win 98 as it is not recognized in XP.

I notice that the roller should not be exposed to daylight and I suspect
that was what has happened to this printer. Is there a fix for this?

Dave

ps. I posted this in uk.comp. misc and got no replies.

The drivers for XP are here
http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/...di/eng-eu.html
However, it sounds like the drum is knackered. I am not familier with this
model,
can you see the surface of the drum? does it have marks that corrospond to
the marks on the paper?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3 black
stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the transfer
roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a new
transfer roller?

I do a bit for those that can not buy a brand new computer, such as
pensioners and those on low income. I was hoping to pass this onto someone
who is still running Win 98 as it is not recognized in XP.

I notice that the roller should not be exposed to daylight and I suspect
that was what has happened to this printer. Is there a fix for this?

I've got a 6300. The drums are dear. I'd bin it and get an LJ4 or 5...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3 black
stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the transfer
roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a new
transfer roller?

With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely worth
buying major components for old ones these days.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3 black
stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the transfer
roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a new
transfer roller?

With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely
worth buying major components for old ones these days.

Colin Bignell

I bought a HP Laser Jet 1018 (new) for £50 last year and it is excellent.
Binned the inkjet and have given up colour!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 01:57:29 +0100, "nightjar".uk.com wrote:

With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely
worth buying major components for old ones these days.

Or even half that! It's getting to the stage where a new toner cart for a
cheap laser is more expensive than an identical brand new printer.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doki" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3 black
stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the transfer
roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a new
transfer roller?

I do a bit for those that can not buy a brand new computer, such as
pensioners and those on low income. I was hoping to pass this onto
someone who is still running Win 98 as it is not recognized in XP.

I notice that the roller should not be exposed to daylight and I suspect
that was what has happened to this printer. Is there a fix for this?

I've got a 6300. The drums are dear. I'd bin it and get an LJ4 or 5...

And FWIW the 6300 is a winprinter. It's brilliant drivers stop any other
printer working with your PC IME, and take a lot of resources up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3
black stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the
transfer roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a
new transfer roller?

I do a bit for those that can not buy a brand new computer, such as
pensioners and those on low income. I was hoping to pass this onto
someone who is still running Win 98 as it is not recognized in XP.

I notice that the roller should not be exposed to daylight and I suspect
that was what has happened to this printer. Is there a fix for this?

Dave

ps. I posted this in uk.comp. misc and got no replies.

Try comp.misc.peripherals.printers
You need a new drum tho, or a second hand one.

I did a fair bit of research on some printer fault I had, and parts are
available for most machines, second hand ex ebay and other places.
However in the end it looked as cheap to by an old refurbed decent
printer anyway. In my case the problem went away (weird)

Also, my printer (HP laserjet) has the transfer drum as part of the ink
cartridge anyway..you should check this..depending on te spacing of the
(horizontal?) lines it may be the transfer or the fuser drums. These are
all standard parts that all go eventually and all need replacing as part
of a regular maintenance cycle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3 black
stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the transfer
roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a new
transfer roller?

With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely worth
buying major components for old ones these days.

Colin Bignell

Well maybe and maybe not.

My laserjet 5P is now 20 years old and is still going strong.

I am not sure that a new £125 printer will keep me going another 20 years..

I would FAR rather have a secondhand 5P at £70 or less than new Laser at
£125.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3
black stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the
transfer roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a
new transfer roller?

With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely
worth buying major components for old ones these days.

Colin Bignell

Well maybe and maybe not.

My laserjet 5P is now 20 years old and is still going strong.

I am not sure that a new £125 printer will keep me going another 20
years..

I would FAR rather have a secondhand 5P at £70 or less than new Laser at
£125.

PEDANT MODE ON
Could you tell me what the winning lottery tickets will be on Saturday? The
5P was intoduced in 1995, so yours is probably only 12 years old, so you
must have a time machine available to have allowed you to zap forward from
1987 to buy a 5P. A 20 year old HP would be a LaserJet II.
/PEDANT MODE

I don't disagree that old HP printers are good things, but if you shop
carefully, taking into account both up front and recurret costs some modern
printers are fine. My Samsung Ml-1650 works fine in a 'home office'
environmet and doesn't take up too much desk real-estate.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My laserjet 5P is now 20 years old and is still going strong.

I don't believe you - mostly because I remember when laserjet 4's came out,
and that was less than 20 years ago.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 11:27:40 UTC, "Clive George"

My laserjet 5P is now 20 years old and is still going strong.

I don't believe you - mostly because I remember when laserjet 4's came out,
and that was less than 20 years ago.

Yup. Copyright date on my LJ4 manual is 1992, so for one to be 20 years
old would mean they made them for 5 years. And I had a LJ4 dated 1993,
so that makes it 6 years! Very unlikely...

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy McKenzie wrote:
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

apologies, Its a 6P.. Bought sometime in the mid 80's

I don't know where you get those dates from..4's 5's and 6's were all
mid 80s designs.

I don't disagree that old HP printers are good things, but if you shop
carefully, taking into account both up front and recurret costs some modern
printers are fine. My Samsung Ml-1650 works fine in a 'home office'
environmet and doesn't take up too much desk real-estate.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:

My laserjet 5P is now 20 years old and is still going strong.

I don't believe you - mostly because I remember when laserjet 4's came
out, and that was less than 20 years ago.

Well, it was certainly prior to 1993, because I had it at my old house..

Come to think of it, it may have been around 1989..which would only be
18 years old..

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PEDANT MODE ON
Could you tell me what the winning lottery tickets will be on Saturday?
The 5P was intoduced in 1995, so yours is probably only 12 years old, so
you must have a time machine available to have allowed you to zap forward
from 1987 to buy a 5P. A 20 year old HP would be a LaserJet II.
/PEDANT MODE

apologies, Its a 6P.. Bought sometime in the mid 80's

I don't know where you get those dates from..4's 5's and 6's were all mid
80s designs.

We're talking about HP laserjets, not Apple LaserWriters - LJ 6P is even
newer than the 5P.

cheers,
clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-04 11:11:13 +0100, "Andy McKenzie"
said:

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

I have to agree with TNP on this one.

I have a Laserjet 5M that I've had for a long while and it works impeccably.

A more recent MFD, also from HP, not at the cheapest end of the range,
is OK but only OK. The firmware has an obvious memory leak which
happens if either or both DHCP or PNP modes are enabled. With these,
it will crash every few days and require repowering. Fortunately, I
can work around that.
The scanning software for Windows is somewhat fragile, although that
may well be Windows. On the Mac it's fine.

This appears to be as a result of products being made down to a price
and having a short market lifetime.

Once again the consumer shoots himself in the foot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy McKenzie wrote:
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaserJet

1984 Laserjet
1985 Laserjet +
1986 Laserjet 500
1987 Laserjet 2, 2000
1990 Laserjet 3
1991 Laserjet 3i
1992 Laserjet 4
1996 Laserjet 5

I think you must be confusing the 1980s and the 1990s :- The first
commercial laser printer was only produced in 1976, and I remember buying an
early Xerox laser printer in about 1987 and eliciting a lot of interst in an
office environment still dominated by daisy wheel and dot matrix printers.
In early 1993 we were stll purchasing new Laserjet 3s in quite a well
funded government lab, and we still used dot matrix printers until the mid
1990s for most routine output.

Now for real IT nostalgia - HP pen plotters, the fun of finding pens that
hadn't dried up, and the pleasure of programming HPGL commands to draw and
label graphs - PU0,0; PD10,10;PU. I think I still have a few reams of shiny
plotter paper - it used to be doled out begrudgingly to individual projects
as if it was a vital, finite, resource - quite galling to find that our
storeman had actually squirreled away a supply that lasted well past the
life time of the plotters.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy McKenzie wrote:

Now for real IT nostalgia - HP pen plotters, the fun of finding
pens that hadn't dried up, and the pleasure of programming HPGL
commands to draw and label graphs - PU0,0; PD10,10;PU. I think I
still have a few reams of shiny plotter paper - it used to be
doled out begrudgingly to individual projects as if it was a
vital, finite, resource - quite galling to find that our
storeman had actually squirreled away a supply that lasted well
past the life time of the plotters.

I still have a big Roland A1 and small A3 plotter.
Plus a stock of pens and film/paper.
Rarely used now though.

--
Tony Williams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 4, 9:11 am, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 01:57:29 +0100, "nightjar".uk.com wrote:
With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely
worth buying major components for old ones these days.

Or even half that! It's getting to the stage where a new toner cart for a
cheap laser is more expensive than an identical brand new printer.

Sorry, but for some makes/models it's been that way for at least two
years. My Samsung was £50 in Office World. New cartridges on the shelf
were £70. Luckily, by the time I needed one they were down to £50.
Last time I needed one, I almost bought another printer instead, but
they don't ship with a full cartridge.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 14:10:12 +0100, Andy McKenzie wrote:

quite galling to find that our storeman had actually squirreled away a
supply that lasted well past the life time of the plotters.

But that's what the job of a storeman, is to keep stores. People coming in
and asking for things depletes his stores and he has to order more...

I got several boxes of 5 hole tape from our stores several years after the
last teleprinter using tape had been retired.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

Andy McKenzie wrote:
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is
putting 3 black stripes across the page, about one third of
the way round the transfer roller I would reckon. Is there
anything I can do, bar buying a new transfer roller?
With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is
rarely worth buying major components for old ones these days.

Colin Bignell
Well maybe and maybe not.

My laserjet 5P is now 20 years old and is still going strong.

I am not sure that a new £125 printer will keep me going another
20 years..

I would FAR rather have a secondhand 5P at £70 or less than new
Laser at £125.

apologies, Its a 6P.. Bought sometime in the mid 80's

I don't know where you get those dates from..4's 5's and 6's were
all mid 80s designs.

I run multiple HP LJ 6P printers. They date from approx 1997, and are
still going strong in a home office system. BTW, the P stands for
Personal IIRC, and they don't have a high ppm rate. Is it 8ppm max?

Anyway, cheap to buy (approx GBP 20 on eBay) and cheap to run (toner
cartridges for around GBP 10-15). Rock solid, and highly recommended.

I also have HP LJ4+ and 5M (Postscript) devices. They have a higher
thoughput, and again are rock solid. The 5M is nice as it comes with
inbuilt Ethernet, but since it's possible with GhostScript to print a
PS document to just about any device, it's somewhat underused...
--
Richard Perkin
To email me, change the AT in the address below

is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

apologies, Its a 6P.. Bought sometime in the mid 80's

The oldest mention of "laserjet 6p" on DejaGoogle appears to be 10th
October 1996.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Replying to self, On 04/04/2007 19:00, Andy Burns wrote:

The oldest mention of "laserjet 6p" on DejaGoogle appears to be 10th
October 1996.

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/fe...rstimeline.pdf
top of page 15, now when did you say you moved house?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3
black stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the
transfer roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a
new transfer roller?

I do a bit for those that can not buy a brand new computer, such as
pensioners and those on low income. I was hoping to pass this onto
someone who is still running Win 98 as it is not recognized in XP.

I notice that the roller should not be exposed to daylight and I suspect
that was what has happened to this printer. Is there a fix for this?

Dave

ps. I posted this in uk.comp. misc and got no replies.

Sorry for answering my own post, but there have been so many very good
answers on this subject, I hope to cover them all.

The Panasonic is quite an old printer and as some have pointed out,
throw it and buy a new one. I now have two of them, both full of toner
and with faulty transfer drums. I'll get to the local tip early in the
morning with both of them. Many thanks for the advice on this.

I bought my wife an HP 1010 and that works fine for what she uses it
for. I bought our daughter an HP 1018 and that works fine for her. I
bought myself an HP 2550 colour laser printer that had well over £200
worth (HP's valuation here) of full toner carts in it and I only paid
£150 :-)
I am well pleased with it.

I have, under my computer desk, an old HP 5L that only needs the paper
feed roller changing when I can find a roundtuit :-)
Looks like HP have taken over this house for computers and peripherals :-)

The only pieces of kit are not HP are my Epsom photo printer and my home
built computer case.

Once again, many thanks to all the posters to this question.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , nightjar
writes

"Dave" wrote in message
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3 black
stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the transfer
roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a new
transfer roller?

With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely worth
buying major components for old ones these days.

Epson 1000 fuser cogs died - £300 for a new fuser unit

Epson 1100 new - £250

... I think your case is proven ...

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:10:12 UTC, "Andy McKenzie"
wrote:

Now for real IT nostalgia - HP pen plotters, the fun of finding pens that
hadn't dried up, and the pleasure of programming HPGL commands to draw and
label graphs - PU0,0; PD10,10;PU. I think I still have a few reams of shiny
plotter paper - it used to be doled out begrudgingly to individual projects
as if it was a vital, finite, resource - quite galling to find that our
storeman had actually squirreled away a supply that lasted well past the
life time of the plotters.

I have one of those plotters!
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy McKenzie
writes
Andy McKenzie wrote:
nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Hmmm got a couple of those

And an Artisan Plus A0 plotter

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , nightjar
writes

"Dave" wrote in message
.. .
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3
black
stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the transfer
roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a new
transfer roller?

With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely
worth
buying major components for old ones these days.

Epson 1000 fuser cogs died - £300 for a new fuser unit

Epson 1100 new - £250

Epson 1000 cogs.. about a fiver?
It cost me 25p to fix the cogs on my lj4.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"raden" wrote in message
In message , nightjar
writes

"Dave" wrote in message
. ..
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3
black
stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the transfer
roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a new
transfer roller?

With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely
worth
buying major components for old ones these days.

Epson 1000 fuser cogs died - £300 for a new fuser unit

Epson 1100 new - £250

Epson 1000 cogs.. about a fiver?
It cost me 25p to fix the cogs on my lj4.

From where ?

offlist if you want

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"raden" wrote in message
In message , "dennis@home"
writes

Epson 1000 cogs.. about a fiver?
It cost me 25p to fix the cogs on my lj4.

From where ?

offlist if you want

I got my bits from www.micom.co.uk.
They used to do printer repairs and stuff like that in the shop.
They moved and I don't know if they still do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Apr, 01:57, "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com
wrote:

With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely worth
buying major components for old ones these days.

Unless you want a reliable printer that doesn't need to be plugged
into a Windows box to work at all.

(I've still got a couple of LJIIIs at home, and I'm not getting rid of
them)