Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Laser printer transfer drum

On 2007-04-04 11:11:13 +0100, "Andy McKenzie"
said:

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3
black stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the
transfer roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a
new transfer roller?

With mono laser printers available for as little as £125, it is rarely
worth buying major components for old ones these days.

Colin Bignell

Well maybe and maybe not.

My laserjet 5P is now 20 years old and is still going strong.

I am not sure that a new £125 printer will keep me going another 20
years..

I would FAR rather have a secondhand 5P at £70 or less than new Laser at
£125.

PEDANT MODE ON
Could you tell me what the winning lottery tickets will be on Saturday? The
5P was intoduced in 1995, so yours is probably only 12 years old, so you
must have a time machine available to have allowed you to zap forward from
1987 to buy a 5P. A 20 year old HP would be a LaserJet II.
/PEDANT MODE

I don't disagree that old HP printers are good things, but if you shop
carefully, taking into account both up front and recurret costs some modern
printers are fine. My Samsung Ml-1650 works fine in a 'home office'
environmet and doesn't take up too much desk real-estate.

Andy

I have to agree with TNP on this one.

I have a Laserjet 5M that I've had for a long while and it works impeccably.

A more recent MFD, also from HP, not at the cheapest end of the range,
is OK but only OK. The firmware has an obvious memory leak which
happens if either or both DHCP or PNP modes are enabled. With these,
it will crash every few days and require repowering. Fortunately, I
can work around that.
The scanning software for Windows is somewhat fragile, although that
may well be Windows. On the Mac it's fine.

This appears to be as a result of products being made down to a price
and having a short market lifetime.

Once again the consumer shoots himself in the foot.