Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Laser printer transfer drum

Dave wrote:
I have been given a Panasonic 6100 laser printer and it is putting 3
black stripes across the page, about one third of the way round the
transfer roller I would reckon. Is there anything I can do, bar buying a
new transfer roller?

I do a bit for those that can not buy a brand new computer, such as
pensioners and those on low income. I was hoping to pass this onto
someone who is still running Win 98 as it is not recognized in XP.

I notice that the roller should not be exposed to daylight and I suspect
that was what has happened to this printer. Is there a fix for this?

Dave

ps. I posted this in uk.comp. misc and got no replies.

Sorry for answering my own post, but there have been so many very good
answers on this subject, I hope to cover them all.

The Panasonic is quite an old printer and as some have pointed out,
throw it and buy a new one. I now have two of them, both full of toner
and with faulty transfer drums. I'll get to the local tip early in the
morning with both of them. Many thanks for the advice on this.

I bought my wife an HP 1010 and that works fine for what she uses it
for. I bought our daughter an HP 1018 and that works fine for her. I
bought myself an HP 2550 colour laser printer that had well over £200
worth (HP's valuation here) of full toner carts in it and I only paid
£150 :-)
I am well pleased with it.

I have, under my computer desk, an old HP 5L that only needs the paper
feed roller changing when I can find a roundtuit :-)
Looks like HP have taken over this house for computers and peripherals :-)

The only pieces of kit are not HP are my Epsom photo printer and my home
built computer case.

Once again, many thanks to all the posters to this question.

Dave