Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Noisy (Torbeck valve) cistern

We have one toilet cistern which is terribly noisy to fill - you hear it
throughout the whole house and it would wake the dead at night-time - so
after n years, SWMBO has decided that Something Must Be Done (she's
now threatening to go to B&Q and just buy a whole new loo for me to fit).

ISTR the problem dates back to when we changed our DHW to a sealed,
mains pressure system throughout the house about 6 years ago. Can't
recall all the details now but I do remember changing the cistern valve
for a Torbeck job - I think that might have been because of noise but
can't remember.

Anyway, currently I have to have the service valve for this cistern
cranked right down, otherwise it's far worse - we get the most amazing
banging and reverberating noise from the pipework as the cistern fills.
As it is, with the service valve almost closed, it takes a very long
time to fill (7-10 mins) and the water still makes a hell of a noise (ie
hissing) during that time... and no matter how finely adjusted the
service valve, I can't avoid the almighty 'thunk' as the Torbeck valve
finally closes, when the cistern is full: and that if the hissing hasn't
woken her already, that certainly will!

So what to do?

My thought is that the Torbeck valve I've got is inadequate for the
water pressure (ISTR it's a fairly standard 2-3 bars) - I can't
particularly rememember any issues over pressure rating etc when I
fitted it, and would certainly have been wise to it had it been
mentioned or whatever. Are there specific versions for high and low
pressure or do they have swappable components?

I'm thinking of buying a new Torbeck valve and fitting that from
scratch: does that sound sensible or am I missing something?

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So what to do?

My thought is that the Torbeck valve I've got is inadequate for the
water pressure (ISTR it's a fairly standard 2-3 bars) - I can't
particularly rememember any issues over pressure rating etc when I
fitted it, and would certainly have been wise to it had it been
mentioned or whatever. Are there specific versions for high and low
pressure or do they have swappable components?

I'm thinking of buying a new Torbeck valve and fitting that from
scratch: does that sound sensible or am I missing something?

Thanks
David

The service valve could be contributing to the noise if it is partly closed
I guess.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 16:55:51 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

We have one toilet cistern which is terribly noisy to fill - you hear it
throughout the whole house and it would wake the dead at night-time - so
after n years, SWMBO has decided that Something Must Be Done (she's
now threatening to go to B&Q and just buy a whole new loo for me to fit).

ISTR the problem dates back to when we changed our DHW to a sealed,
mains pressure system throughout the house about 6 years ago. Can't
recall all the details now but I do remember changing the cistern valve
for a Torbeck job - I think that might have been because of noise but
can't remember.

You *did* fit the flow restrictor if you have high-ish pressure, didn't
you?

Or has the polythene tube rotted/come off?
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-31 17:55:51 +0100, Lobster said:

[...]

Several things he

- The service valve will create a hissing noise if substantially
restricting the flow.

- Torbeck valves come with two flow restrictors - little spiral things
that go into the inlet. There are LP and HP versions. Perhaps you have
the LP one in there or none at all?

- If there is banging from the pipes, this is usually because they
aren't supported properly,

- You could try adding a surge arrestor. (A little pressure vessel
about the size of a fist)

- Replacing the toilet is unlikely to solve a valve problem, but you know that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Mar, 17:55, Lobster wrote:

I can't avoid the almighty 'thunk' as the Torbeck valve
finally closes, when the cistern is full: and that if the hissing hasn't
woken her already, that certainly will!

So what to do?

Half a bottle of gin and a pair of earplugs should see her through to
morning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-03-31 17:55:51 +0100, Lobster
said:

We have one toilet cistern which is terribly noisy to fill - you hear it
throughout the whole house and it would wake the dead at night-time - so
after n years, SWMBO has decided that Something Must Be Done (she's
now threatening to go to B&Q and just buy a whole new loo for me to fit).

My thought is that the Torbeck valve I've got is inadequate for the
water pressure (ISTR it's a fairly standard 2-3 bars) - I can't
particularly rememember any issues over pressure rating etc when I
fitted it, and would certainly have been wise to it had it been
mentioned or whatever. Are there specific versions for high and low
pressure or do they have swappable components?

- Torbeck valves come with two flow restrictors - little spiral things
that go into the inlet. There are LP and HP versions. Perhaps you have
the LP one in there or none at all?

Had a looksee, and can't see anything in there so I guess I must have
bought an LP version. Sounds like it's worth investing 6 GBP in a new
valve, anyway!

- If there is banging from the pipes, this is usually because they
aren't supported properly,

But unfortunately they are very inaccessible where they bang, too:
behind a finished plasterboard wall. It's only an issue if I let the
cistern fill too quickly though.

- Replacing the toilet is unlikely to solve a valve problem, but you
know that.

I do indeed, but SWMBO doesn't: or if she does believe me she reckons
that the threat of pitching up with a new loo will spur me into action.
And whaddyaknow...

Thanks all

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-04-01 17:59:48 +0100, Lobster said:

Andy Hall wrote:

- Torbeck valves come with two flow restrictors - little spiral things
that go into the inlet. There are LP and HP versions. Perhaps you have
the LP one in there or none at all?

Had a looksee, and can't see anything in there so I guess I must have
bought an LP version. Sounds like it's worth investing 6 GBP in a new
valve, anyway!

Ah. If there's nothing in there, then on a decent mains supply you
will certainly get thumping as the valve closes. It might even
vibrate. I have a fairly peewilly supply and still can't get away
with no insert at all - it has the LP one fitted for the loft tank. I
added a second valve and improved the supply though.

Just to be clear, the valves are normally supplied with both
restrictors - often the mains one is fitted - I imagine because that's
the fail safe; i.e. tank fills slowly.

- If there is banging from the pipes, this is usually because they
aren't supported properly,

But unfortunately they are very inaccessible where they bang, too:
behind a finished plasterboard wall. It's only an issue if I let the
cistern fill too quickly though.

That's a shame. You might be lucky after fitting a new valve with
restrictor. Don't forget to put on and finger tighten the tap
connector nut first then the backnut onto the cistern. Less risk of
crossthreading.

- Replacing the toilet is unlikely to solve a valve problem, but you know that.

I do indeed, but SWMBO doesn't: or if she does believe me she reckons
that the threat of pitching up with a new loo will spur me into action.
And whaddyaknow...

Seems to have done :-)

Of course if she did and it still made a lot of noise, you'd be in even
more trouble and she'd want to "get a man in"

I hope you have a lampost in the garden to mark your territory accordingly :-)

Torbeck valve failure [email protected] UK diy 6 September 16th 06 05:45 PM
Torbeck valve - thumping [email protected] UK diy 1 August 3rd 06 02:34 PM
Torbeck valve Andy Pandy UK diy 7 July 5th 05 10:47 PM
Torbeck valve and hammer Martin Angove UK diy 12 March 30th 04 09:33 AM
Torbeck valve noisy at shutoff - sometimes [email protected] UK diy 7 September 26th 03 01:35 PM