Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Noisy (Torbeck valve) cistern

On 2007-04-01 17:59:48 +0100, Lobster said:

Andy Hall wrote:

- Torbeck valves come with two flow restrictors - little spiral things
that go into the inlet. There are LP and HP versions. Perhaps you have
the LP one in there or none at all?

Had a looksee, and can't see anything in there so I guess I must have
bought an LP version. Sounds like it's worth investing 6 GBP in a new
valve, anyway!

Ah. If there's nothing in there, then on a decent mains supply you
will certainly get thumping as the valve closes. It might even
vibrate. I have a fairly peewilly supply and still can't get away
with no insert at all - it has the LP one fitted for the loft tank. I
added a second valve and improved the supply though.

Just to be clear, the valves are normally supplied with both
restrictors - often the mains one is fitted - I imagine because that's
the fail safe; i.e. tank fills slowly.

- If there is banging from the pipes, this is usually because they
aren't supported properly,

But unfortunately they are very inaccessible where they bang, too:
behind a finished plasterboard wall. It's only an issue if I let the
cistern fill too quickly though.

That's a shame. You might be lucky after fitting a new valve with
restrictor. Don't forget to put on and finger tighten the tap
connector nut first then the backnut onto the cistern. Less risk of
crossthreading.

- Replacing the toilet is unlikely to solve a valve problem, but you know that.

I do indeed, but SWMBO doesn't: or if she does believe me she reckons
that the threat of pitching up with a new loo will spur me into action.
And whaddyaknow...

Seems to have done :-)

Of course if she did and it still made a lot of noise, you'd be in even
more trouble and she'd want to "get a man in"

I hope you have a lampost in the garden to mark your territory accordingly :-)