Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Noisy (Torbeck valve) cistern

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2007-03-31 17:55:51 +0100, Lobster
said:

We have one toilet cistern which is terribly noisy to fill - you hear it
throughout the whole house and it would wake the dead at night-time - so
after n years, SWMBO has decided that Something Must Be Done (she's
now threatening to go to B&Q and just buy a whole new loo for me to fit).

My thought is that the Torbeck valve I've got is inadequate for the
water pressure (ISTR it's a fairly standard 2-3 bars) - I can't
particularly rememember any issues over pressure rating etc when I
fitted it, and would certainly have been wise to it had it been
mentioned or whatever. Are there specific versions for high and low
pressure or do they have swappable components?

- Torbeck valves come with two flow restrictors - little spiral things
that go into the inlet. There are LP and HP versions. Perhaps you have
the LP one in there or none at all?

Had a looksee, and can't see anything in there so I guess I must have
bought an LP version. Sounds like it's worth investing 6 GBP in a new
valve, anyway!

- If there is banging from the pipes, this is usually because they
aren't supported properly,

But unfortunately they are very inaccessible where they bang, too:
behind a finished plasterboard wall. It's only an issue if I let the
cistern fill too quickly though.

- Replacing the toilet is unlikely to solve a valve problem, but you
know that.

I do indeed, but SWMBO doesn't: or if she does believe me she reckons
that the threat of pitching up with a new loo will spur me into action.
And whaddyaknow...

Thanks all

David