Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default low voltage lighting

Hi,

I got a buzzing problem with my low voltage ceiling light.
It runs off a brand new volex low voltage dimmer switch but there's an
annoying buzzing noise coming from the transformer. If the light is
dimmed the noise gets much louder, but even on full power it's really
irritating.
Is there any way to fix this?

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 10:04, Andy Hall wrote:
On 4 Mar 2007 00:36:37 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I got a buzzing problem with my low voltage ceiling light.
It runs off a brand new volex low voltage dimmer switch but there's an
annoying buzzing noise coming from the transformer. If the light is
dimmed the noise gets much louder, but even on full power it's really
irritating.
Is there any way to fix this?

thanks

Replace the transformer with one that is suitable for dimming
operation. This can also include suitable electronic transformers
which will then operate silently.

--

.andy

Thanks Andy, but the transformer is built into the housing of the
light so I can't replace it. Will have to remove the dimmer I guess..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 10:42, Andy Hall wrote:
On 4 Mar 2007 02:37:10 -0800, wrote:

On 4 Mar, 10:04, Andy Hall wrote:
On 4 Mar 2007 00:36:37 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I got a buzzing problem with my low voltage ceiling light.
It runs off a brand new volex low voltage dimmer switch but there's an
annoying buzzing noise coming from the transformer. If the light is
dimmed the noise gets much louder, but even on full power it's really
irritating.
Is there any way to fix this?

thanks

Replace the transformer with one that is suitable for dimming
operation. This can also include suitable electronic transformers
which will then operate silently.

--

.andy

Thanks Andy, but the transformer is built into the housing of the
light so I can't replace it. Will have to remove the dimmer I guess..

Ah...

Not a dimmable fitting?

--

.andy- Hide quoted text -

Hmm, just tried it with a normal on/off switch and it's still buzzing!
I could understand it if it was a cheap light, but it was £60 at john
lewis..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 10:04, Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

only solution is to replace the transformer. You dont need to
physically remove the old one, just disconnect it and wire in a new
one, which can sit next to the light on the plasterboard.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 10:04, Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

NT- Hide quoted text -

to be honest I'd rather send it back to john lewis than do that, but
thanks anyway.
btw, any idea what it is about this transformer that could be the
cause?