Posted to alt.home.repair
john

Default Low Voltage Lighting Question...Help

I am considering a low voltage lighting system for my yard. Why do they all
say that the transformer must be mounted outside. I wanted to mount mine in
the garage as there is a GFCI receptical there. I can run the wire out the
wall to the yard. Any ideas why they say must be mounted outside. Is it safe
to mount it on the wall inside the garage?

John W

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

john wrote:
I am considering a low voltage lighting system for my yard. Why do they all
say that the transformer must be mounted outside. I wanted to mount mine in
the garage as there is a GFCI receptical there. I can run the wire out the
wall to the yard. Any ideas why they say must be mounted outside. Is it safe
to mount it on the wall inside the garage?

John W

John,

I can think of no reason why they would say that since it's low voltage,
but I wouldn't just mount it againt the wall. Those transformers can
over time overheat and the windings short and there is a poential for
fire although small. Personally, if I wanted to mount it inside I would
put it in a metal box that can breathe and that metal box mounted on
something metal in case it does overheat. Another thing you could do
for safety is to mount a thermal fuse on top of the transformer. I
guess if it was outside in a metal box and it overheated it could cause
no damage ??

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob S.

john wrote:
I am considering a low voltage lighting system for my yard. Why do they all
say that the transformer must be mounted outside. I wanted to mount mine in
the garage as there is a GFCI receptical there. I can run the wire out the
wall to the yard. Any ideas why they say must be mounted outside. Is it safe
to mount it on the wall inside the garage?

John W

If the transformer is in a metal case, the case may contain the
photocell to turn the system on/off. Wouldn't work if it was inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Joey wrote:
john wrote:

[...]

The *transformer* is not low voltate, its dual voltage as that is what
they do, transform. They also dump lots of heat. Some more than others
depending on design.

If it says outside then it just means that is what it was designed for.
Could be some funky chemicals inside or somethin!?

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RickR

Look carefully, does it say MUST be outside or CAN be outside.

They are different ratings that can be confusing.

Generally inside an unheated garage is OK unless you have the
photocell.

Richard Reid, LC
Luminous Views