Joel 2

Default GFCI for Lighting question

Wiring my new shop.
I was planning to install some 4ft flourescent lights I happen to have. This
would necessitate installing outlet receptacles in the ceiling. Do ceiling
outlets (only for lighting) require a GFCI ?
Or how about the dedicated circuit for the garage door opener?
Thanks.

George Elkins

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message ...

The door opener is specifically excluded from the GFCI reqmnt;
I wouldn't use a GFCI for the lighting since the recept is not readily
accessible for portable cord use (tools,etc.) Should be a single
recept directly above the fixture.

Jim

To reinforce what Jim correctly wrote, the non-GFCI receptacle in the
ceiling should be simplex (single outlet) so only a dedicated appliance
excluded from the GFCI requirement, such as the garage door opener, can be
plugged in.

George Elkins