DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   low voltage lighting (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/193978-low-voltage-lighting.html)

[email protected] March 4th 07 08:36 AM

low voltage lighting

Hi,

I got a buzzing problem with my low voltage ceiling light.
It runs off a brand new volex low voltage dimmer switch but there's an
annoying buzzing noise coming from the transformer. If the light is
dimmed the noise gets much louder, but even on full power it's really
irritating.
Is there any way to fix this?

thanks

Andy Hall March 4th 07 10:04 AM

low voltage lighting

On 4 Mar 2007 00:36:37 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I got a buzzing problem with my low voltage ceiling light.
It runs off a brand new volex low voltage dimmer switch but there's an
annoying buzzing noise coming from the transformer. If the light is
dimmed the noise gets much louder, but even on full power it's really
irritating.
Is there any way to fix this?

thanks

Replace the transformer with one that is suitable for dimming
operation. This can also include suitable electronic transformers
which will then operate silently.

--

..andy

[email protected] March 4th 07 10:37 AM

low voltage lighting

On 4 Mar, 10:04, Andy Hall wrote:
On 4 Mar 2007 00:36:37 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I got a buzzing problem with my low voltage ceiling light.
It runs off a brand new volex low voltage dimmer switch but there's an
annoying buzzing noise coming from the transformer. If the light is
dimmed the noise gets much louder, but even on full power it's really
irritating.
Is there any way to fix this?

thanks

Replace the transformer with one that is suitable for dimming
operation. This can also include suitable electronic transformers
which will then operate silently.

--

.andy

Thanks Andy, but the transformer is built into the housing of the
light so I can't replace it. Will have to remove the dimmer I guess..

Roger Mills March 4th 07 10:37 AM

low voltage lighting

Hi,

I got a buzzing problem with my low voltage ceiling light.
It runs off a brand new volex low voltage dimmer switch but there's an
annoying buzzing noise coming from the transformer. If the light is
dimmed the noise gets much louder, but even on full power it's really
irritating.
Is there any way to fix this?

thanks

Yes - get rid of the dimmer and replace it with an on/off switch! That's
what I ended up doing.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Andy Hall March 4th 07 10:42 AM

low voltage lighting

On 4 Mar 2007 02:37:10 -0800, wrote:

On 4 Mar, 10:04, Andy Hall wrote:
On 4 Mar 2007 00:36:37 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I got a buzzing problem with my low voltage ceiling light.
It runs off a brand new volex low voltage dimmer switch but there's an
annoying buzzing noise coming from the transformer. If the light is
dimmed the noise gets much louder, but even on full power it's really
irritating.
Is there any way to fix this?

thanks

Replace the transformer with one that is suitable for dimming
operation. This can also include suitable electronic transformers
which will then operate silently.

--

.andy

Thanks Andy, but the transformer is built into the housing of the
light so I can't replace it. Will have to remove the dimmer I guess..

Ah...

Not a dimmable fitting?

--

..andy

[email protected] March 4th 07 11:21 AM

low voltage lighting

On 4 Mar, 10:04, Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

.andy- Hide quoted text -

Hmm, just tried it with a normal on/off switch and it's still buzzing!
I could understand it if it was a cheap light, but it was £60 at john
lewis..

[email protected] March 4th 07 11:26 AM

low voltage lighting

On 4 Mar, 10:04, Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

only solution is to replace the transformer. You dont need to
physically remove the old one, just disconnect it and wire in a new
one, which can sit next to the light on the plasterboard.

NT

[email protected] March 4th 07 12:00 PM

low voltage lighting

On 4 Mar, 10:04, Andy Hall wrote:
[...]

NT- Hide quoted text -

to be honest I'd rather send it back to john lewis than do that, but
thanks anyway.
btw, any idea what it is about this transformer that could be the
cause?

Andy Hall March 4th 07 12:08 PM

low voltage lighting

On 4 Mar 2007 04:00:47 -0800, wrote:

to be honest I'd rather send it back to john lewis than do that, but
thanks anyway.
btw, any idea what it is about this transformer that could be the
cause?

While the fitting may be relatively expensive (market expectation and
design), the transformer may well be a pretty low cost/quality
component.

Does the label on the fitting say that it's dimmable?

--

..andy