Faustino Dina

Default Which is the advantage of low voltage lighting?

Hi,

I've been seeing recently the increasing offers of low voltage (12V)
lighting. At least one disadvantage is real: I need a voltage transformer
(and run the low voltage lines all over the house) to make it work. But
which are the advantage of these over conventional 110V lighting?.

Thanks in advance
Faustino

Edwin Pawlowski

Faustino Dina wrote:
Hi,

I've been seeing recently the increasing offers of low voltage (12V)
lighting. At least one disadvantage is real: I need a voltage
transformer (and run the low voltage lines all over the house) to
make it work. But which are the advantage of these over conventional
110V lighting?.

Thanks in advance
Faustino

Safety!
The transformer is a minor disadvantage compared to the benefits in
certaincicumstances.

12V lighting is not subject to some of the same codes of wiring as the 110V
stuff. Yu can runwires in places that would not be allowed. The wires are
thinner and easier for Joe Sixpack to handle. This is a major advantage for
outdoor applications for lighitng a patio or deck.

--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

John Hines

"Faustino Dina" wrote:

I've been seeing recently the increasing offers of low voltage (12V)
lighting. At least one disadvantage is real: I need a voltage transformer
(and run the low voltage lines all over the house) to make it work. But
which are the advantage of these over conventional 110V lighting?.

Smaller fixtures. I got some small "hockey puck" type of lights to go
under the kitchen cabinets.

Another use, would be inside of china cabinets and the like, again
small, low power (10-20w) lights.

William W. Plummer

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
. com...
Faustino Dina wrote:
[...]

Well, actually the advantage is to the insurance company used by the light
manufacturer. There is much less chance that you, the consumer, will shock
yourself and sue the manufacturer. This is the same reason that all small
electronics devices have "power bricks" now.

Jeff Cochran

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:43:04 -0600, "Faustino Dina"
wrote:

I've been seeing recently the increasing offers of low voltage (12V)
lighting. At least one disadvantage is real: I need a voltage transformer
(and run the low voltage lines all over the house) to make it work. But
which are the advantage of these over conventional 110V lighting?.

More lights on a circuit, easier wiring of lamps, can't electrocute
yourself by sticking your tongue in the lamp socket...

Biggest advantage is often size of fixtures. You can put
mood/environment lighting everywhere. Better is fiber optic for this,
but costlier and more difficult.

Jeff

RB

Anmother reason most manufacturers have resorted to "power bricks" is
that UL only goes as far as the 120 volt component. I don't believe
that my printer is UL blessed, but the "power brick" is. Same with my
laptop. Saves time and money.

BTW, I bought a replacement cord for an old iron that I wanted to use
for softening glued veneer. Plugged it in and thought I had left my arc
welder on. When I opened it up the two conductors (an old style cord)
were connected together in the female connector. The UL tag on the cord
didn't even get singed.

RB

Faustino Dina wrote:

[...]

Mark

In article t3QSb.195618$xy6.1008406@attbi_s02,
says...
There is much less chance that you, the consumer, will shock
yourself and sue the manufacturer. This is the same reason that all small
electronics devices have "power bricks" now.

Well, yes and no.

The advantage to the manufacturer selling in the U.S. in
using out-board power supplies is that they only need to get
the power supply UL listed, not the entire device, hence
saving significant money and time-to-market. In this way
they can also use the same supply on multiple devices for
further savings, or use different supplies for the same
device destined for different countries to gain even further
savings.

--
Mark

The truth as I perceive it to be.