Default Low voltage lighting benefits

In my extension most of the new rooms will be having the small lights
inset into the ceiling - but I don't know whether to do it with low
voltage lamps or use the mains powered small lamps (Wickes currently
are doing packs of 4 mains powered lamps for =A313.99).

Can anybody tell me of the relative advantages/disadvantages of going
low voltage or mains voltage for this lighting?

Quigs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gary Quigley
See my build at http://www.wilcotclose.co.uk

Mark

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Can anybody tell me of the relative advantages/disadvantages of going
low voltage or mains voltage for this lighting?"

One of our rooms have a light fitting using 4 mains powered GU10 bulbs
and I can guarantee a bulb will blow every 3 or 4 months. Surprisingly
the bulbs that have lasted the longest so far are the cheap twin packs I
got from Poundland! If I fitted another one I'd pay extra go for a
transformer low voltage type.

Charles Middleton

Are the LED downlighters available yet? How do they compare on
brightness and energy efficiency? I imagine that they can be fitted
into the same fixture - that is they are GU10 spec.
CM.

John Rumm

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They're both horribly inefficient at general lighting, and
won't meet the building regs requirements for lighting
energy efficiency if they apply to your extension (I can't
remember off-hand when they kick in on a building project).

The building regs may require instalation of a certain number of "low
energy" light fittings as a part of the build. The number required being
dictated by the number of habitable rooms you are adding.

Note however that these fittings do not have to be the only fittings
used... so you can make your ligting as energy inefficent as you want,
so long as somewhere you can point to the required number of LE fittings
to satisfy the regs. Even if the LE fittings never get used!

--
Cheers,

John.

Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
"Charles Middleton" writes:
Are the LED downlighters available yet? How do they compare on
brightness and energy efficiency?

Roughly same efficieny as LV halogens.
However, semi-conductors would be destroyed at typical LV halogen
temperatures, so they're all much lower power, with resulting much
lower light output. To make them look bright, the light is usually
concentrated into a very narrow beam.

I imagine that they can be fitted
into the same fixture - that is they are GU10 spec.

There are 7W compact fluorescents in this format now. In theory,
they should give the same light as a 28W mains lamp, but that's
probably reduced a bit as the tube and reflector combination is
not going to be as effective as with a filament lamp, and they
will be wide angle only.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andy Burns

R Taylor wrote:

more bangladeshis

Luckily no coffee anywhere near my screen :-)