Set Square

In my extension most of the new rooms will be having the small lights
inset into the ceiling - but I don't know whether to do it with low
voltage lamps or use the mains powered small lamps (Wickes currently
are doing packs of 4 mains powered lamps for £13.99).

Can anybody tell me of the relative advantages/disadvantages of going
low voltage or mains voltage for this lighting?

Are you talking about halogen downlighters? If so, use LV.

You get much more light per watt of input power from LV. This is because
they have short fat filaments which can by run at a higher temperature than
the long thin filaments in mains lights. A hotter filament produces much
more of its radiation in the visible spectrum rather than infra red.

LV bulbs also last much longer - you'll be for ever replacing mains bulbs.
--
Cheers,
Set Square