Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When dishwashers go bad

My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

Cheers

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

aboleth wrote:
My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

I assume you regularly clean all the filters?
Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar, 15:24, "Jonathan Pearson"
wrote:
aboleth wrote:
My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

I assume you regularly clean all the filters?
Jon

I do regularly clean the ones I know about - there's a plastic
cylinder with some mesh which pulls out and a large flat sheet of
coarser mesh. I also clean out the rotating squirters which sometimes
get sunflower seeds in them. But even with these things clean it's
still leaving things speckled.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

aboleth wrote:
[...]

Have a close look at the rotating arms - they distribute the water/
detergent. The holes in them may be blocked, which would affect the
volume of water being chucked about. Check also that they are free to
rotate, and that the jet-holes in the tips of them, which are the
means of propelling them around, are clear - bit of bone in particular
can get lodged in them.

(Ex Hoover design engineer here!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 2, 3:04 pm, "aboleth" wrote:
My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

Cheers

John

Mine does this when the top sprayer arm gets stopped by a stray
serving spoon or similar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar, 15:04, "aboleth" wrote:
My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

Cheers

John

Usually happens when the arms are not free to rotate - blocked with
bits of bone or even grease. Do they turn freely, and are their
driving jets free of all bits.

You could, as a last resort, do what we did at Hoover to check machine
operation, which was to fashion a perpex door to allow us to view what
went on inside.

Regards

Ex Hoover design engineer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"aboleth" wrote in message
ps.com...
My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

Cheers

John

Ours does that occasionally and it is down to the rinse aid dispenser being
empty. Fill it up and all goes swimmingly again!

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a close look at the rotating arms - they distribute the water/
detergent. The holes in them may be blocked, which would affect the
volume of water being chucked about. Check also that they are free to
rotate, and that the jet-holes in the tips of them, which are the
means of propelling them around, are clear - bit of bone in particular
can get lodged in them.

(Ex Hoover design engineer here!)

even if they look clear the water flow down them can push food which has
some time got past the filter to block the holes. These can then appear
clear again when examined. Try forcing water through the central whole from
a tap and checking each hole again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar 2007 07:04:10 -0800, "aboleth" wrote:

My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

There's a matrix of complicated interlinked plastic pipes that usually
sit one side of the machine. Waste water passed through this matrix.
and over time the valve that controls the ingress of fresh water and
the expulsion of waste gets fouled up.

It's a bit of a fiddly, messy job - but if you remove one of the side
panels you'll find the matrix can be removed and cleaned.
If you do a search on google groups on this forum using my name in the
author field you should find a more thorough description of the
cleaning method.

Regards.

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Rob is offline

aboleth wrote:
My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

Cheers

John

Mine did this for a while. A few cycles of super hot seems to have cured
it - which suggests it might have been something soluble blocked in the
sprayer arm things, which I didn't check as well as I might.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"aboleth" wrote in message
ps.com...
My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

Cheers

John

Can I ask if you have changed your dishwasher tablets recently. The reason I
ask is that we had the same thing happen when we used the 'Gentle Action'
variety but when we went back to full strength ones the problem disappeared.

David - Milton Keynes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar, 15:04, "aboleth" wrote:
My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

Cheers

John

Returning to this topic as I haven't sorted it yet (new baby slowing
me down).

Today I managed to run it with the door open. I learned several
things.

1) If you run a dishwasher with the door open, prepare to get wet.
Also prepare to suffer skin irritation if you stupidly put powder in.

2) the rotors are not turning. It seems like the pressure is not
sufficient, water is coming out of all the holes, but not hard enough
to turn them. I removed the lower one and blocked its pipe with my
hand, and the oomph was enough to turn the top one. I think I've got a
general loss of pressure. Anyone got any thoughts on why / how to fix
it?

Cheers,

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Mar, 12:00, Rob wrote:
aboleth wrote:
My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's,
um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming
out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm
thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps
the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom
shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all
screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone
have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

Cheers

John

Mine did this for a while. A few cycles of super hot seems to have cured
it - which suggests it might have been something soluble blocked in the
sprayer arm things, which I didn't check as well as I might.

Rob

Genius! The control panel on ours is broken, so I set it on Eco and
left it there. Tried it on 65 deg Intensive and when I opened the door
half way it soaked the room.

Thankyou!

John

Dishwashers Question Cindi Home Ownership 11 March 20th 06 07:44 PM
Part P and Dishwashers James UK diy 18 December 25th 04 09:45 PM
Dishwashers Ron Kerr UK diy 15 April 11th 04 02:05 PM
dishwashers in2minds UK diy 5 October 13th 03 11:19 PM
DISHWASHERS kram UK diy 4 August 27th 03 03:16 PM