Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Cindi

Default Dishwashers Question

We have a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher that we've had about 8 years.
It has worked satisfactorily for the most part but recently the top
rack keeps falling off the tracks and we're tired of fighting with it,
treating it gingerly, and struggling to fix it. My husband says we
overload it... my thought is that it's MADE for glassware, mugs, etc. I
should be able to fill that entire rack with glasses etc. and it should
not fall off the tracks. Why should I limit it to only Tupperware or
other very lightweight things? That's just ridiculous.

We're shopping for a new dishwasher, he found one almost identical on
sale for a very good price but I'm leery of buying it again.

Does anyone else have similar problems with the top racks? Is this a
universal problem? Or am I right and I should purchase a different
mfr., maybe Kenmore which CR has rated very highly.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

"Cindi" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher that we've had about 8 years.
It has worked satisfactorily for the most part but recently the top
rack keeps falling off the tracks and we're tired of fighting with it,
treating it gingerly, and struggling to fix it. My husband says we
overload it... my thought is that it's MADE for glassware, mugs, etc. I
should be able to fill that entire rack with glasses etc. and it should
not fall off the tracks. Why should I limit it to only Tupperware or
other very lightweight things? That's just ridiculous.

We're shopping for a new dishwasher, he found one almost identical on
sale for a very good price but I'm leery of buying it again.

Does anyone else have similar problems with the top racks? Is this a
universal problem? Or am I right and I should purchase a different
mfr., maybe Kenmore which CR has rated very highly.

never had the top rack come off my dishwasher.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Acid Reign

"Cindi" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher that we've had about 8 years.
It has worked satisfactorily for the most part but recently the top
rack keeps falling off the tracks and we're tired of fighting with it,
treating it gingerly, and struggling to fix it.

That sounds a bit strange. Unless your top rack is actually broken, that
sounds like maybe you have one of those adjustable top racks that have
pull-tabs on each side in the front and the back of the top rack. If both
front and back are not adjusted to the same setting, I can imagine the rack
coming loose.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
SMS

Cindi wrote:
We have a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher that we've had about 8 years.
It has worked satisfactorily for the most part but recently the top
rack keeps falling off the tracks and we're tired of fighting with it,
treating it gingerly, and struggling to fix it. My husband says we
overload it... my thought is that it's MADE for glassware, mugs, etc. I
should be able to fill that entire rack with glasses etc. and it should
not fall off the tracks. Why should I limit it to only Tupperware or
other very lightweight things? That's just ridiculous.

We're shopping for a new dishwasher, he found one almost identical on
sale for a very good price but I'm leery of buying it again.

Does anyone else have similar problems with the top racks? Is this a
universal problem? Or am I right and I should purchase a different
mfr., maybe Kenmore which CR has rated very highly.

I have a Maytag that cleans well, but the racks are falling apart after
five years, with the coating peeling off, and the wire underneath
rusting. New racks are very expensive.
Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

I had a 16 year old Hotpoint that I replaced last year with a GE
Profile. The racks never came off either. While looking at new ones,
I did notice that some had racks that were much lighter and flimsier
than others. So, go out and look. Also, CR has ratings on some models
from most manufacturers.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Mike T.

"Cindi" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher that we've had about 8 years.
It has worked satisfactorily for the most part but recently the top
rack keeps falling off the tracks and we're tired of fighting with it,
treating it gingerly, and struggling to fix it. My husband says we
overload it... my thought is that it's MADE for glassware, mugs, etc. I
should be able to fill that entire rack with glasses etc. and it should
not fall off the tracks. Why should I limit it to only Tupperware or
other very lightweight things? That's just ridiculous.

We're shopping for a new dishwasher, he found one almost identical on
sale for a very good price but I'm leery of buying it again.

Does anyone else have similar problems with the top racks? Is this a
universal problem? Or am I right and I should purchase a different
mfr., maybe Kenmore which CR has rated very highly.

OK, we own a Frigidaire model dishwasher, and we LOVE it, but we've only had
it about a year. If yours lasted 8 years, I'd say you've gotten your money
out of it. A brand new one (with many premium features, even) is only about
$250. If it lasts another 8 years, that would be about $30/year. Not bad!
I'd suggest you replace it with the following:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...RES&lpage=none

Note that you might have to special-order to get a matching color, but
they've got white, black, silver, bisque, stainless and ???, all in this
model, though the stainless costs a bit more, I think.

Oh, and switching to Kenmore might back-fire on you. There is no brand
"Kenmore". If you buy a "Kenmore" hoping to get something other than
frigidaire, you might be surprised to discover that the kenmore dishwasher
was made by frigidaire.

But again, I think you are looking at this all wrong. You say you've had a
dishwasher that worked fine for 8 years. THAT'S NOT BAD!!! I know we all
hope that our appliances would last forever, but if you've only started
having problems with it after 8 years, I'd say that's OUTSTANDING
performance. If anything, you should be inclined to purchase another of the
same brand, as it has performed very well for you. -Dave

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
SMS

Janie wrote:

Look for a place that sells used appliances. Tell the owner exactly what
you want, in this case a rack for a certain model dishwasher, and he may
come up with the item for you at a very low cost. My neighbor sells used
appliances and throws this kind of stuff away on a daily basis.

How can he sell a used dishwasher without the racks?
Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Mike T.

"SMS" wrote in message
Janie wrote:

Look for a place that sells used appliances. Tell the owner exactly what
you want, in this case a rack for a certain model dishwasher, and he may
come up with the item for you at a very low cost. My neighbor sells used
appliances and throws this kind of stuff away on a daily basis.

How can he sell a used dishwasher without the racks?

It's called cannibalizing. You take two broken dishwashers of similar or
same model. They both have a different problem, hopefully. You take parts
from one to fix the other one so you can sell it. Now you have several
leftover parts that aren't useful anymore. -Dave

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Janie

"SMS" wrote in message
Janie wrote:

Look for a place that sells used appliances. Tell the owner exactly what
you want, in this case a rack for a certain model dishwasher, and he may
come up with the item for you at a very low cost. My neighbor sells used
appliances and throws this kind of stuff away on a daily basis.

How can he sell a used dishwasher without the racks?

He gets lots of appliance that have been hauled away when people purchased
new ones. He has to take everything from the various companies.( He has
contracts with places that sell only new stuff and gets their customers'
discards.) Lots of the stuff he gets isn't worth fixing, but he will strip
some things for parts to use on other stuff. He may have a machine that he
isn't going to fix, and might even just give it to you to get rid of it or
sell it to real cheap. He picks out the best stuff to repair, usually the
newer stuff that still looks nice. People keep tossing stuff that looks
good and only need --at least to him- minor repairs.

He runs a full time repair shop and services all major brands. If he
doesn't have service calls, then he works on repairing used stuff and
resells it.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On 15 Mar 2006 13:19:05 -0800, someone wrote:

We have a Frigidaire Gallery dishwasher that we've had about 8 years.
It has worked satisfactorily for the most part but recently the top
rack keeps falling off the tracks

Eight years and the only thing wrong is that now the rack comes off,
doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. Maybe you'd rather have one
where the racks stayed on but it blew some other $200 worth of parts?

My Frigidaire DW, after 7 years the motor that drives the vent fan
burnt up, and I do mean burned. Melted part of the front panel as
well as the vent chamber the blower was attached to.

You take mine, and I'll take yours.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house
Bob Ward

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:39:36 -0800, SMS
wrote:

Janie wrote:

Look for a place that sells used appliances. Tell the owner exactly what
you want, in this case a rack for a certain model dishwasher, and he may
come up with the item for you at a very low cost. My neighbor sells used
appliances and throws this kind of stuff away on a daily basis.

How can he sell a used dishwasher without the racks?

He doesn't need to, if it was one he was otherwise discarding after
scavenging parts.

Besides, he can probably find an ignorant credit-card bigot who
wouldn't know the difference.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 01:44:31 GMT, someone wrote:

Besides, he can probably find an ignorant credit-card bigot who
wouldn't know the difference.

Huh?

He could also find an ignorant mouth-breathing cash-only idiot without
a bank account; what's that got to do with racks?

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM