Ron Kerr

Default Dishwashers

Hi.

I am looking for elementary information about dishwashers. I have never
seen the guts of one until now.

I have just acquired a Zanussi XDT 5052 from my daughter who lives in
rented accommodation. It does not work and her landlord decided to
replace it to avoid hassle in diagnosing and fixing the
problem. (There's a wee bit of history here which is irrelevant to my
question.) The machine is actually not very old but outside the
guarantee and my daughter suspects that it may be possible to repair it
without great expense.

I have had a look at it and saw nothing obvious - electrical connections
apparently OK and no dangly bits. However something that caught my eye
is a plastic object below the washing compartment. This seems to consist
of two interconnected vessels. One is kind of circular cylindrical,
seems to be attached to the bottom of the washing compartment and has a
couple of tubes attached. It is empty apart from some residual
water. The other part is smaller and of a sort of flattened oval
cylindrical shape with one tube attached. This seems to be almost filled
with some sort of mottled brown substance. The substance is not liquid
but I cannot tell whether it is solid or gelatinous. What could this
substance be? The appearance is rather reminiscent of solidified
slightly fatty gravy! Could I be on to something here or am I way
off-beam?

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers....Ron

Richard Geyman

"Ron Kerr" wrote in message
[...]

This sounds very much like an experience I had with a dishwasher....

I had the embarrassing misfortune to sell a dishwasher through the free-ads,
after it had spent a winter in the shed, only for the buyer to call me
saying it wasn't working. I took it back and got a local appliance repair
company to have a look at it - a vacuum tube in the bottom of the machine
was filled with gunk and grease, stopping the machine from filling with
water. The guy took out the tube, cleaned it up, and put it back in. Took
5 minutes and fixed the dishwasher! Apparently it's quite a common fault.

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't!

Richard

--
Email at my name with an at sign in the middle and a dot com at the end.

Michael McNeil

Is there any reason why you can't snip a post about a blocked filter?

Did your mother put you on the bottle because she couldn't afford
nappies or what?

Richard Geyman

"Michael McNeil" wrote in message
news:c75b497a2645c57f48712adf8fa84d14.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
Is there any reason why you can't snip a post about a blocked filter?

Did your mother put you on the bottle because she couldn't afford
nappies or what?

Sorry sir.

--
Email at my name with an at sign in the middle and a dot com at the end.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Ron Kerr writes:
[...]

Sounds like the water softener, in which case it will be full of
ion exchange resin, which is always granular whenever I've seen
it, and possibly either water or brine from the salt container to
recharge it between washes, but I haven't investigated the ones
in dishwashers.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Paul

Is there any reason why you can't shut the **** up, you incredibly
boring ****?

Did your mother put you on the bottle because she couldn't afford
nappies or what?

Did your mother resort to the bottle whilst gestating you or what?
Dave Stanton

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:57:10 +0000, Michael McNeil wrote:

Is there any reason why you can't snip a post about a blocked filter?

Did your mother put you on the bottle because she couldn't afford nappies
or what?

If you think thats bad, look at some of the other threads on this group
!!.
It appears quite a few on here are incapable/unaware of the need to
snip/trim.

Dave

James Holdsworth

Is there any reason why you can't snip a post about a blocked filter?

Looking at some of your posts on Google I think you need to get your own
house in order first before starting on other people.

Also your nostrils must be extremely cold considering how your nose is
orientated.

James

N. Thornton

Ron Kerr wrote in message ...
[...]

How could we help you fix it if you dont even tell us whats wrong with it?

Regards, NT
richard

"Ron Kerr" wrote in message
Hi.

I am looking for elementary information about dishwashers. I have

never
seen the guts of one until now.

snipped story bit

In my experience, the main thing to go wrong with dishwashers is a
fractured/burnt out cable at the bottom of the door, where the loom
flexes every time you open it. Also check the door switch, it carries
the full load of the machine and can fail if it has been opened
frequently while running.

I'm assuming it is right to bottom post? How do I make OE do that
automatically?

Richard.

Ron Kerr

On 8 Apr 2004, N. Thornton wrote:

How could we help you fix it if you dont even tell us whats wrong with it?

I don't know the symptoms other than that it doesn't work. My daughter
is not that descriptive about technical things. I am trying to establish
whether the m/c is worth repairing but since we don't have one already
we have no water supply as yet and so I am not yet in a position to
connect it up and try it out. Consequently I am at the preliminary stage
of pursuing things that catch my eye - i.e. this brown stuff which
someone has suggested is residue from water softening.

Cheers....Ron

Ron Kerr

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Michael McNeil wrote:

Is there any reason why you can't snip a post about a blocked filter?

Yes - I am a thick, ignorant, senile old fart.

Did your mother put you on the bottle because she couldn't afford
nappies or what?

Spot on!

At one time, people like me were politely directed to more appropriate
sources of assistance.

N. Thornton

Ron Kerr wrote in message ...
On 8 Apr 2004, N. Thornton wrote:

How could we help you fix it if you dont even tell us whats wrong with it?

I don't know the symptoms other than that it doesn't work. My daughter
is not that descriptive about technical things.

Then theres no way for us to have the least idea whats wrong with it

I am trying to establish
whether the m/c is worth repairing

depends what needs repairing.

but since we don't have one already
we have no water supply as yet and so I am not yet in a position to
connect it up and try it out. Consequently I am at the preliminary stage
of pursuing things that catch my eye

that is not the most useful preliminary stage. Suggest beginning to
narrow down the problem by divide and conquer, and keep going till its
down to one bit.

With no info at all from your daughter I dont think anyone could help.

Regards, NT
Rod Hewitt

Ron Kerr wrote in
:

I don't know the symptoms other than that it doesn't work. My daughter
is not that descriptive about technical things. I am trying to
establish whether the m/c is worth repairing but since we don't have
one already we have no water supply as yet and so I am not yet in a
position to connect it up and try it out. Consequently I am at the
preliminary stage of pursuing things that catch my eye - i.e. this
brown stuff which someone has suggested is residue from water
softening.

Cheers....Ron

I think that you will find the word used was RESIN not residue. The water
softener uses a special resin that looks like coarse sand but slightly
transparent like poor quality amber. (I am sure that there is likely to be
considerable variation in the precise look of it depending on brand, age,
etc.) This is usually in a container that is accessible from the inside of
the machine via a small hatch or screwcap and sits underneath the floor of
the main compartment.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , richard
wrote:

I'm assuming it is right to bottom post? How do I make OE do that
automatically?

Nothing wrong at all with your posting. Trimmed to context and in
chronological order. If you want some background, have a look he

Ron Kerr

On 9 Apr 2004, Rod Hewitt wrote:

I think that you will find the word used was RESIN not residue. The water
softener uses a special resin that looks like coarse sand but slightly
transparent like poor quality amber. (I am sure that there is likely to be
considerable variation in the precise look of it depending on brand, age,
etc.) This is usually in a container that is accessible from the inside of
the machine via a small hatch or screwcap and sits underneath the floor of
the main compartment.

Thanks for this informative reply to the question I asked in my original
message.

Ron

dishwashers in2minds UK diy 5 October 13th 03 11:19 PM
DISHWASHERS kram UK diy 4 August 27th 03 03:16 PM