Richard Geyman

Default Dishwashers

"Ron Kerr" wrote in message
Hi.

I am looking for elementary information about dishwashers. I have never
seen the guts of one until now.

I have just acquired a Zanussi XDT 5052 from my daughter who lives in
rented accommodation. It does not work and her landlord decided to
replace it to avoid hassle in diagnosing and fixing the
problem. (There's a wee bit of history here which is irrelevant to my
question.) The machine is actually not very old but outside the
guarantee and my daughter suspects that it may be possible to repair it
without great expense.

I have had a look at it and saw nothing obvious - electrical connections
apparently OK and no dangly bits. However something that caught my eye
is a plastic object below the washing compartment. This seems to consist
of two interconnected vessels. One is kind of circular cylindrical,
seems to be attached to the bottom of the washing compartment and has a
couple of tubes attached. It is empty apart from some residual
water. The other part is smaller and of a sort of flattened oval
cylindrical shape with one tube attached. This seems to be almost filled
with some sort of mottled brown substance. The substance is not liquid
but I cannot tell whether it is solid or gelatinous. What could this
substance be? The appearance is rather reminiscent of solidified
slightly fatty gravy! Could I be on to something here or am I way
off-beam?

Any information would be appreciated.

Cheers....Ron

This sounds very much like an experience I had with a dishwasher....

I had the embarrassing misfortune to sell a dishwasher through the free-ads,
after it had spent a winter in the shed, only for the buyer to call me
saying it wasn't working. I took it back and got a local appliance repair
company to have a look at it - a vacuum tube in the bottom of the machine
was filled with gunk and grease, stopping the machine from filling with
water. The guy took out the tube, cleaned it up, and put it back in. Took
5 minutes and fixed the dishwasher! Apparently it's quite a common fault.

Hope this helps, sorry if it doesn't!

Richard

--
Email at my name with an at sign in the middle and a dot com at the end.