Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Powder Or Ready Mixed?

I have asked a couple of questions on here regarding me doing a en-suite
refurb for a neighbour, thanks for the answer guys (and galls). I am about
to start grouting it all up and my question is ready mixed or powder? On
the few occasions I have tiled my own rooms (kitchen, bathroom and en-suite)
I have always used powder. My problem is if I follow the instruction
regarding quantities of powder to water then the mixture is ALWAYS far too
dry to use and not the required creamy consistency. I always have to add a
bit more water to achieve the correct mix, although the instruction tell you
not to do this as it will weaken the grout. I have had no problems in my
own house but Sods Law says that if there is going to be a problem it will
be in my neighbours and then I will look daft! For information I am looking
at using Unibond Tile On Walls Waterproof Anti-Mould Grout and the packet
states 4 volumes of powder to 1 volume of water (3Kg of grout requires
approx. 750ml water.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I have asked a couple of questions on here regarding me doing a en-suite
refurb for a neighbour, thanks for the answer guys (and galls). I am about
to start grouting it all up and my question is ready mixed or powder? On

Personally I always go for powder, and just mix until I arrive at the
consistency I want.

the few occasions I have tiled my own rooms (kitchen, bathroom and en-suite)
I have always used powder. My problem is if I follow the instruction
regarding quantities of powder to water then the mixture is ALWAYS far too
dry to use and not the required creamy consistency. I always have to add a

Have you been measuring by volume or weight?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
John wrote:

I have asked a couple of questions on here regarding me doing a en-suite
refurb for a neighbour, thanks for the answer guys (and galls). I am
about to start grouting it all up and my question is ready mixed or
powder? On

Personally I always go for powder, and just mix until I arrive at the
consistency I want.

That's what I do but always have to put more water in than instructed.

the few occasions I have tiled my own rooms (kitchen, bathroom and
en-suite) I have always used powder. My problem is if I follow the
instruction regarding quantities of powder to water then the mixture is
ALWAYS far too dry to use and not the required creamy consistency. I
always have to add a

Have you been measuring by volume or weight?

Volume, but as stated in my OP the Unibond bag says 4:1 (volume) but also
3Kg Grout to 750ml water.

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message

Have you been measuring by volume or weight?

Volume, but as stated in my OP the Unibond bag says 4:1 (volume) but also
3Kg Grout to 750ml water.

Fishy unless the powder is the same density as water.

The Unibond pack says 4:1 by volume or 3Kg to 750ml by mixed weight
and volume. Given that 1000ml of water weighs 1Kg, it is 3Kg to 3/4Kg
which is the same ratio as 4Kg to 1Kg which is the same ratio given
for volume.

Does a litre of grout powder weight 1Kg?

Guy
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd

Wickes Ready Mixed Patching Plaster Stuart Noble UK diy 15 January 13th 07 04:14 PM
Mixed emotions Bart V Woodturning 6 December 20th 06 09:44 PM
mixed cabinet styles? revheck Home Ownership 3 February 28th 06 01:27 PM
ready mixed concrete. [email protected] UK diy 10 August 17th 05 11:47 AM
Ready mixed filler PAULINE SALEMI UK diy 5 January 17th 05 09:03 PM