Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Powder Or Ready Mixed?

I have asked a couple of questions on here regarding me doing a en-suite
refurb for a neighbour, thanks for the answer guys (and galls). I am about
to start grouting it all up and my question is ready mixed or powder? On
the few occasions I have tiled my own rooms (kitchen, bathroom and en-suite)
I have always used powder. My problem is if I follow the instruction
regarding quantities of powder to water then the mixture is ALWAYS far too
dry to use and not the required creamy consistency. I always have to add a
bit more water to achieve the correct mix, although the instruction tell you
not to do this as it will weaken the grout. I have had no problems in my
own house but Sods Law says that if there is going to be a problem it will
be in my neighbours and then I will look daft! For information I am looking
at using Unibond Tile On Walls Waterproof Anti-Mould Grout and the packet
states 4 volumes of powder to 1 volume of water (3Kg of grout requires
approx. 750ml water.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

John