Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Mixed emotions

I was futzen' around today and ran into a snag or two. Since I can't
post pictures here I parked some pics & thoughts at this temprary URL:

http://www.haruteq.com/stuff/wood.htm

Cheers,

Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sure would be a shame to burn that nice wood Bart, there must be lots
of other wood around your part of the world, I do have a bunch of Black
Walnut, just in raw half log blanks, maybe we could trade some ??

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Bart V wrote:
I was futzen' around today and ran into a snag or two. Since I can't
post pictures here I parked some pics & thoughts at this temprary URL:

http://www.haruteq.com/stuff/wood.htm

Cheers,

Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bart V" wrote in message
I was futzen' around today and ran into a snag or two. Since I can't
post pictures here I parked some pics & thoughts at this temprary URL:

http://www.haruteq.com/stuff/wood.htm

Cheers,

Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com

Did that wood come your way cheap or do you have a mess of turning to get
done? I am sure most of us would like to be able to have some of that
exotic stuff just piled up.
Have a good one

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Way cheap and with cheap I mean free, just elbow grease to go get it,
cut & stack it. It's totally outside-weathered, no drying/ageing
required before putting it on the lathe, talk about ready to go...
Last year, or is it two years already, I made this banjo out of the
same stuff (the teak I used for the fretboard was also free):

http://www.haruteq.com/newbanjo/newbanjo.htm

Making a banjo was actually the reason I started learning this lathe
thing. I first made a whole bunch of round thingies to practice on,
including an extension for the post on my cheapo drill press else the
banjo's rim wouldn't fit for finishing it.

Now that I have that banjo, an incredible instrument by the way that
I've performed with on stage many a time, the turning hoby is pretty
much at the seen-it-done-it point. At the bottom of the page I just
mentioned is a picture of a banjo bridge, I do use the lathe [with a
sanding disk on it] for making those. Those bridges have become kinda
famous in the banjo world and yes, I do use the same free wood for
making those too.

Before I started building this banjo I had never done any woodworking
other than cutting 2X4's when finishing a basement or something. I've
said it before but it deserves to be said again, the banjo would not
have been possible without the help, advice and encouragement so many
of the fine & friendly folks (Leo, Art, Darrell and many more) on this
newsgroup had so generously fired my way.

Along the way I've become a woodfreak and really started appreciating
the beautiful treasures Mother Nature has made for our enjoyment. This
particular wood, I'm pretty sure it's jatoba (probably a lower grade
than furniture quality), real gorgeous stuff and I feel guilty about
burning it in the fireplace. The FP "unfortunately" is an intregal
part of our heating system, so the budget kinda depends on this stack
but if anyone wants to trade me some regular firewood for it I'd be
game for that (I'm in the Hamilton, Ontario area).

Any more banjos in the offing? You betcha, there's plenty kept aside
for that ))

Merry Christmas to all,

Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bart:

DAYUMMMMM!

You're not a woodfreak, or even a woodphreak - but a wood whore!
(derived actually from the word "hord" as in gather as much of
something as you can and keep it FOREVER - in one form or another).
This affliction can, if you let it, become VERY expensive, both in
time, money and space. Like clamps, you can NEVER have too
much wood - unless it's on top of you - that's a problem.

When I saw the pic of some of your stash my heart sank - at
first. Then I started thinking - relatively speaking - I'm "normal"
and THAT guy is carzy - like a fox.

Hopefully, my Envy Green hue will dissapate (sp?) before I
have to go out in public. Maybe Kermit The Frog can get
away with being green, but us mortals - well people look at
you kind of funny if you're green.

An arborist / sawyer / woodworker friend probably has
more wood than you do - in board feet, probably not by
types of wood. It's stashed all over his house, shop,
property and at his office. I bring a roll of paper towels
with me when I visit him - drool is hard to get out of
wood.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You're not a woodfreak, or even a woodphreak - but a wood whore!

LOL!!! Truth be told, four years ago Santa treated me on that lathe
with the stern warning that this was the weapon of choice to get rid
of all them too-nice-to-burn stacked pieces of junk screwing up my
wife's parking spot in our garage and that resistance is futile.

Banjos anyone, free lessons included... ))

Bart.
-
**botox treatments: taxidermy on the living**

Check my most up to date email address at:
www.haruteq.com/contact.htm
awesome banjo bridges, tabs, stained glass:
www.haruteq.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bf bf is offline

Bart V wrote:
I was futzen' around today and ran into a snag or two. Since I can't
post pictures here I parked some pics & thoughts at this temprary URL:

http://www.haruteq.com/stuff/wood.htm

Cheers,

Bart.

Come on man.. don't burn it.. weigh a few pieces and see how much it
would cost to ship. I bet you could sell it on ebay for plenty of money
to buy firewood. Even if you didn't make much of a profit off selling
on ebay, at least the wood wouldn't be wasted by burning it.
I'd be interested in buying some. It's obviously not cost efficient for
me to mail firewood back to you though. Email me at the address I
posted if you're interested.

mixed cabinet styles? revheck Home Ownership 3 February 28th 06 01:27 PM
ready mixed concrete. [email protected] UK diy 10 August 17th 05 11:47 AM
Mixed shower tap Raj UK diy 1 July 22nd 05 10:49 PM
Mixed shower tap Raj UK diy 0 July 22nd 05 09:59 PM
Ready mixed filler PAULINE SALEMI UK diy 5 January 17th 05 09:03 PM