Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
revheck

Default mixed cabinet styles?

Is it OK to mix cabinet styles in a remodeled kitchen?

My wife and I are about to remodel our 60 year-old kitchen. We need to
put in new base cabinets and countertop to make room for a dishwasher
and lazy-susan. And we need more cabinets on opposite wall.

But the original upper cabinets are very solid and perfectly
functional. We are thinking of just repainting these, and installing
new white cabinets for the base and opposite wall. It would certainly
save us effort and money. But there is no way we can replicate the
original style, and I'm not sure we sure try.

I don't want it to look cheap or awkward to show if we need to sell.

Your opinions?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

On 25 Feb 2006 11:27:16 -0800, "revheck"
wrote:

Is it OK to mix cabinet styles in a remodeled kitchen?

I think this is perfectly fine in cases where the original cabinetry
is in excellent condition, as you say yours is. I have a similarly
mixed kitchen, and the original cabinetry, mostly uppers, date from
1930 and include glass fronts, but the bases are more recent, and it's
all fine. I think this works because the countertop is a clear visual
demarcation, and you also mention that you want to put new cabinets
across from the originals, another clear demarcation.

For resale you won't get as much $$ as a fully remodeled kitchen, but
who cares? You'll enjoy the house, and that's really the point, isn't
it? Go for it: add the new stuff to join the old.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 25 Feb 2006 11:27:16 -0800, someone wrote:

Is it OK to mix cabinet styles in a remodeled kitchen?

OK with whom?

Worried the cabinet police are going to come?

It's YOUR kitchen in YOUR house, do as you please.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

How many linear feet of wall cabinets are you talking about keeping and
how much money will you save by keeping them?

Sounds like you're doing a pretty substantial remodelling job, and the
cost of that row of cabinets will be a somewhat small share of the
cost. I would bite the bullet and get the cabinets you like throughout
the kitchen and move those 60-year olds into the garage, pantry,
playroom, or anywhere else you need more storage.

It's your house and your decision, but I think the cabinets are going
to look like cabinets you painted white, and they'll be right up at eye
level where the buyer will see them when you sell the house.

Cheers.