Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Built-in oven and hob problem

Just replaced the built-in under worktop oven with a double oven type. The
problem is the oven is much deeper than the previous single oven and because
the hob is gas the pipe and elbow coming down from the from the hob prevent
the oven from fitting.

My only option as I see it is to replace the hob with an electric type and
have a gas fitter come over and terminate the gas pipe at skirting board
level. I had initially thought that perhaps the pipe could be re-routed
closed to the wall but the gas fitting on the rear of the hob exits where
the rear of the oven is and I don't see how it could be routed so as not to
interfere with the top rear of the oven.

Before I call in a gas fitter and order an electric hob is there any other
option open to me?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com wrote:
Just replaced the built-in under worktop oven with a double oven type.

The (built in) oven is supposed to be fitted in a tall unit, ie: with a
cupboard below the oven and another unit above.
Built under ovens,(Single or double) are designed to fit below a hob or
worktop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com wrote:

Just replaced the built-in under worktop oven with a double oven
type. The problem is the oven is much deeper than the previous
single oven and because the hob is gas the pipe and elbow coming down
from the from the hob prevent the oven from fitting.

My only option as I see it is to replace the hob with an electric
type and have a gas fitter come over and terminate the gas pipe at
skirting board level. I had initially thought that perhaps the pipe
could be re-routed closed to the wall but the gas fitting on the rear
of the hob exits where the rear of the oven is and I don't see how it
could be routed so as not to interfere with the top rear of the oven.

Before I call in a gas fitter and order an electric hob is there any
other option open to me?

Hi Darren,

Welcome to uk.d-i-y! Maybe you could get your TomTom GO to work out a new
route for the gas pipe? g

Seriously, though, if the oven and hob are independent units, is there any
compelling reason why the hob needs to be directly above the oven - or could
it be offset, allowing the two to co-exist?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rusty Nail wrote:
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com wrote:
Just replaced the built-in under worktop oven with a double oven type.

The (built in) oven is supposed to be fitted in a tall unit, ie: with a
cupboard below the oven and another unit above.
Built under ovens,(Single or double) are designed to fit below a hob or
worktop.

Please ignore rodger:
built in oven
....http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...43&cattype=sub

Built under
oven....http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...05&cattype=sub
Listen to the people who know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

IKEA
Listen to the people who know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rusty Nail wrote:
The (built in) oven is supposed to be fitted in a tall unit, ie: with
a cupboard below the oven and another unit above.
Built under ovens,(Single or double) are designed to fit below a hob
or worktop.

OK, my fault for a poor choice of words, it is a buil-under oven designed
and intended for fitting below a hob/worktop.

--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.PocketGPSWorld.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Welcome to uk.d-i-y! Maybe you could get your TomTom GO to work out a
new route for the gas pipe? g

Seriously, though, if the oven and hob are independent units, is
there any compelling reason why the hob needs to be directly above
the oven - or could it be offset, allowing the two to co-exist?

A fair point but the units either side of where the oven sits preclude the
hob from being located anywhere other than directly above.

I have now opted to go with a new electric hob. The gas hob wasn't the best
so this seems a good opportunity to go for a new induction ceramic type.

Gas fitter has just arrived to terminate the existing supply.

Owain mentioned I might requirea new circuit? I already have a decicated
switched circuit for the oven, will this not suffice for the hob?

--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.PocketGPSWorld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 10:29:21 -0000 someone who may be "Darren
Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com" wrote
this:-

Owain mentioned I might requirea new circuit? I already have a decicated
switched circuit for the oven, will this not suffice for the hob?

That rather depends on the rating of the circuit and the rating of
the oven and hob.

What rating is the protective device of this circuit? What size is
the cable? How and where does it currently terminate? What is the
rating of the oven and what is the rating of the hob.

As you are using a double oven and a (4 ring?) hob it may well be
that a 45A circuit is necessary.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh