Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wasps nest - safe?

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message
oups.com...

I torched my daughters playhouse two summers ago due to wasps!!,

Raked up the ashes, grass seeded the scorch mark and you'd never know
it was there now :-)

Did you feel better after that? More manly??

Next time you have what you consider to be a problem like that call the
local authority or a beekeeper. You might well have to pay for the service
of removal but it could be cheaper than a new playhouse.

whats it got to do with being a man??
We wanted shut of the palyhouse anyhoo, so two birds with one stone,
and a few hundered wasps with a gallon of petrol!!!
and yes I felt better, thanks for asking

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cordless Crazy wrote:
David Hansen Wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:43:58 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-
-
If you do cut it down do it carefully, the outside envelope is vey
fragile.
When it's down cut it in half, carefully, with a bread knife and show
the
children the marvellous architecture of the construction.-

I bow to your superior knowledge.

Provided there are no wasps in the thing I'm sure the nest is very
interesting inside.
--
4) burn the nasty little devils.-

They're not nasty.-

I disagree. They are rather too aggressive for my liking, unlike
bees which are welcome.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents

Wasps serve no purpose but to annoy humans enjoying a beer in the
garden!

--
Cordless Crazy

they have made a fortune for one man, he has designed a filter for the
top of drinks cans to stop the little buggers going in, a few hundred
people die each year as a result of being stung in the mouth/throat.
He's already sold the idea to coke & pepsi who have given him 1p per
can!! now that's an awful lot of money !!, he's a British guy i
beleive, a binman or sommat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message

Wasps serve no purpose but to annoy humans enjoying a beer in the
garden!

You wouldn't have much of a garden without wasps, they deal with garden
pests without your even noticing.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

they have made a fortune for one man, he has designed a filter for the
top of drinks cans to stop the little buggers going in, a few hundred
people die each year as a result of being stung in the mouth/throat.

Evidence?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

If you do cut it down do it carefully, the outside envelope is vey fragile.
When it's down cut it in half, carefully, with a bread knife and show the
children the marvellous architecture of the construction.

Cool. Do you cut it top to bottom or in half?

I have one about 12 to 14" in height hanging in the garage saved from
"broom attack" a couple of years ago. Though it does seem a shame to
cut it open.

Perhaps I'll open it if we get another one.

:¬)

http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

they have made a fortune for one man, he has designed a filter for the
top of drinks cans to stop the little buggers going in, a few hundred
people die each year as a result of being stung in the mouth/throat.

Evidence?

Yes M'lud ( are you nuts?)

second story down, and he was a window cleaner

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/news/c...ame_index.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Cordless Crazy" wrote in message

Wasps serve no purpose but to annoy humans enjoying a beer in the
garden!

You wouldn't have much of a garden without wasps, they deal with garden
pests without your even noticing.

Mary

Wrong again !! My Staffie takes care of the garden pests, theyre called
cats !! but it doenst go un noticed due to the noise !!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

wrote this:-
-
[...]

did you know the world is round !! "yea right" :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

they have made a fortune for one man, he has designed a filter for the
top of drinks cans to stop the little buggers going in, a few hundred
people die each year as a result of being stung in the mouth/throat.

Evidence?

Yes M'lud ( are you nuts?)

No, if you make a statement such as "a few hundred people die each year as a
result of being stung in the mouth/throat."you should be prepared to back it
up with (authoritative) evidence otherwise intelligent people won't believe
you.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"" wrote in message
k...
Mary Fisher wrote:

If you do cut it down do it carefully, the outside envelope is vey
fragile. When it's down cut it in half, carefully, with a bread knife and
show the children the marvellous architecture of the construction.

Cool. Do you cut it top to bottom or in half?

Best to do it from top to bottom to get a true cross section.

I have one about 12 to 14" in height hanging in the garage saved from
"broom attack" a couple of years ago. Though it does seem a shame to cut
it open.

I know, but bite the bullet and do it. The best way is to put a large
polythene bag round it before you cut the 'stem/s', don't let it fall.

Perhaps I'll open it if we get another one.

They're very common.

The broom treatment isn't sensible or safe if there are live wasps inside.
The best way to deal with that, if you really MUST, is to approach in the
dark, with a red light if you need it,wearing leather gloves if possible and
very carefully put a polythene bag round it. Hold the bag closed at the top
where it's attached and as soon as it's free from the celing or whatever
it's attached to tie the bag and put it carefully in the freezer. After 24
hours the wasps will have died and it can be cut open to show the structure.

IF there are several attaching points or if the nest is attached at the side
it's not worth bothering with while it's active. Any activitiy (wasps react
to vibration) will bring them coming out to see what's happening to their
home - and ready to defend it. Wait until this time of year when the colony
will have died out.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

they have made a fortune for one man, he has designed a filter for the
top of drinks cans to stop the little buggers going in, a few hundred
people die each year as a result of being stung in the mouth/throat.

Evidence?

Yes M'lud ( are you nuts?)

No, if you make a statement such as "a few hundred people die each year as a
result of being stung in the mouth/throat."you should be prepared to back it
up with (authoritative) evidence otherwise intelligent people won't believe
you.

Mary

"I beleive in everything untill it's misproven, therefore I beleive in
fairies" John Lennon, now there was intelligence :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "Staffbull" contains these words:

"I beleive in everything untill it's misproven, therefore I beleive in
fairies" John Lennon, now there was intelligence :-)

It's a shame he died before the coming of the FSM.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

Wait until this time of year when the colony
will have died out.

Mary

I saw a live one today, it was on the side wall of the tyre on my
motor. Don't know what it was doing though, but it was alive.
Legin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"legin" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:

Wait until this time of year when the colony
will have died out.

Mary

I saw a live one today, it was on the side wall of the tyre on my
motor. Don't know what it was doing though, but it was alive.

Do you mean you saw a wasp?

Mary

Senior Member

Its not only wasps that deal with garden pests. There are plenty of great chemicals out there to control all manner of beasties :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message . com, legin
writes

Mary Fisher wrote:

Wait until this time of year when the colony
will have died out.

Mary

I saw a live one today, it was on the side wall of the tyre on my
motor. Don't know what it was doing though, but it was alive.
Legin

I saw one on Sunday buzzing up the window

I soon cured that

--
geoff

wasps nest jIM Home Repair 16 September 5th 06 07:48 AM
Wasps nest in old computer!!! ¦¦¦SHAD0W¦¦¦ Electronics 2 July 16th 06 02:27 PM
Wasps nest in our loft johnnybegood UK diy 37 September 8th 05 10:43 AM
Wasps Nest John UK diy 23 May 21st 05 09:50 PM
BIG Wasps nest Sparks UK diy 25 October 19th 03 11:41 AM