Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Wasps nest - safe?

""Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"" wrote in message
k...
Mary Fisher wrote:

If you do cut it down do it carefully, the outside envelope is vey
fragile. When it's down cut it in half, carefully, with a bread knife and
show the children the marvellous architecture of the construction.

Cool. Do you cut it top to bottom or in half?

Best to do it from top to bottom to get a true cross section.

I have one about 12 to 14" in height hanging in the garage saved from
"broom attack" a couple of years ago. Though it does seem a shame to cut
it open.

I know, but bite the bullet and do it. The best way is to put a large
polythene bag round it before you cut the 'stem/s', don't let it fall.

Perhaps I'll open it if we get another one.

They're very common.

The broom treatment isn't sensible or safe if there are live wasps inside.
The best way to deal with that, if you really MUST, is to approach in the
dark, with a red light if you need it,wearing leather gloves if possible and
very carefully put a polythene bag round it. Hold the bag closed at the top
where it's attached and as soon as it's free from the celing or whatever
it's attached to tie the bag and put it carefully in the freezer. After 24
hours the wasps will have died and it can be cut open to show the structure.

IF there are several attaching points or if the nest is attached at the side
it's not worth bothering with while it's active. Any activitiy (wasps react
to vibration) will bring them coming out to see what's happening to their
home - and ready to defend it. Wait until this time of year when the colony
will have died out.

Mary