Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

Mark wrote:
Scott wrote in message
Owain wrote:
Mark wrote:
For the lovers of plastic tack there will always be new build estates
like
http://i15.tinypic.com/29aywio.jpg
even the fake Tudor panels are plastic
and really you cant tell the difference, from a distance ;-(
What distance? Google Earth?

Owain

What a revolting pastiche, I suppose they're going for the chav market.

One thing you have to watch out for in Victorian conservation areas is the
tendency to stick wooden 4 x 3 pane mock Georgian windows in. Then of

course
there is the ubiquitous 'Wendy house' door, eg.
http://www.chindwelldoors.co.uk/cata...ar_glazed.html
A clear example of architectural infantilism.

To be honest im not that bothered by plastic windows in modern houses
But front doors are another matter
Take your pick from these fine examples
http://www.doorexpress.co.uk/doors/FrontDoors.asp
http://www.anglianhome.co.uk/doors_pvcu_styles.htm

That's one way to reduce the value of your property. Buy a property with a door
like that you know you're going to be faced with artex ceilings, pebble dashed
walls, a bright pink bathroom suite, and polystyrene cornices and moldings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Scott wrote:

To be honest im not that bothered by plastic windows in modern houses
But front doors are another matter
Take your pick from these fine examples
http://www.doorexpress.co.uk/doors/FrontDoors.asp
http://www.anglianhome.co.uk/doors_pvcu_styles.htm

That's one way to reduce the value of your property. Buy a property with a door
like that you know you're going to be faced with artex ceilings, pebble dashed
walls, a bright pink bathroom suite, and polystyrene cornices and moldings.

The terrible thing is that the people who festoon their houses with
this hideous old tat usually regard it as home *improvement* (see the
strap line at the top of the Anglian site).

Say what you like about the victorian cowboys, but their houses are
generally still standing and for the most part their adornments are
still in tact (or would be but for tupperware vandalism). I wonder what
that estate of tudor plastic pastiches will look like in a hundred
years time (or even thirty).

In my house the only windows I've had to replace were some horrible
aluminium double-glazed ones in a 1986 rear extension which had long
outlived their lifespan. All the victorian sashes are working fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

"Owain" wrote in message
Mark wrote:
For the lovers of plastic tack there will always be new build estates
like
http://i15.tinypic.com/29aywio.jpg
even the fake Tudor panels are plastic
and really you cant tell the difference, from a distance ;-(

What distance? Google Earth?

Owain

The mock tudor house would have looked better if the non-openers had been
fitted with false vents, and if the vertical black features ("timbers" -
probbly PVCu!!!) and mullions had been in alignment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 17:02:47 -0000, "Aaron Borbora"
wrote:

But the owner may not think it is as ridiculous as you. For the record, I
agree with you that in many cases plastic does look awful, but appriciate
that (a) it should be up to the owner and (b) each material has its pros and
cons.

It's not just a case of wooden sash windows. Planning departments will
also control the height of the fence in front of your house and
whether you are allowed to put dormer windows on the roof at the front
of the house. Thank God they do control the extravagances of some
people in the interests of the whole community. For the record, I am
in the process of replacing the ghastly and malfunctioning plastic
windows in my Victorian house on the the side of Victoria Park here in
Tower Hamlets with wooden ones, using the examples that I can still
see around me.

Maris
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:01:09 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

I've got pvc at the back and lovingly restored originals at the front
which seems a reasonable compromise to me.

Snap, that's exactly what I am planning to do. The windows on the
front elevation will be lovingly restored to contribute to the
streetscape whilst I shall rip out the ghastly louvre windows that
have been inserted in the back elevation and replace them with the
salvaged plastic windows from the front. Since the plastic windows
will be more airtight (I'm not denying that) it will cut down down on
through draughts here at the edge of Victoria Park. As you say, a
reasonable compromise.

Maris