Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Martin Pentreath Martin Pentreath is offline

Default Replacement windows in breach of conservation area rules

Scott wrote:

To be honest im not that bothered by plastic windows in modern houses
But front doors are another matter
Take your pick from these fine examples
http://www.doorexpress.co.uk/doors/FrontDoors.asp
http://www.anglianhome.co.uk/doors_pvcu_styles.htm

That's one way to reduce the value of your property. Buy a property with a door
like that you know you're going to be faced with artex ceilings, pebble dashed
walls, a bright pink bathroom suite, and polystyrene cornices and moldings.

The terrible thing is that the people who festoon their houses with
this hideous old tat usually regard it as home *improvement* (see the
strap line at the top of the Anglian site).

Say what you like about the victorian cowboys, but their houses are
generally still standing and for the most part their adornments are
still in tact (or would be but for tupperware vandalism). I wonder what
that estate of tudor plastic pastiches will look like in a hundred
years time (or even thirty).

In my house the only windows I've had to replace were some horrible
aluminium double-glazed ones in a 1986 rear extension which had long
outlived their lifespan. All the victorian sashes are working fine.