Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New Construction vs Replacement windows

I am planning to change the aluminum frame windows on my 25 year old
house and had so far been considering the so called 'replacement
windows'. I had several quotes ranging from $6K to $18K (home depot
Jeld-Wen to Renewal by Andersen) and was in the middle of my decision
process until some roofing contractor told me that most replacement
windows installed on stucco start to leak after a few years. He
advised me to look for 'new construction windows'. He said from
personal experience, whenever calls came in to repair roof leaks, the
leaks were invariably due to the faulty caulking around replacement
windows.

Any advice? Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am planning to change the aluminum frame windows on my 25 year old
house and had so far been considering the so called 'replacement
windows'. I had several quotes ranging from $6K to $18K (home depot
Jeld-Wen to Renewal by Andersen) and was in the middle of my decision
process until some roofing contractor told me that most replacement
windows installed on stucco start to leak after a few years. He
advised me to look for 'new construction windows'. He said from
personal experience, whenever calls came in to repair roof leaks, the
leaks were invariably due to the faulty caulking around replacement
windows.

Any advice? Thanks.

To use new construction windows you will need to chip out the stucco around
the window to have a place for the nailing flange then plaster in new stucco
and repaint while trying to match the texture of your house.

Certainly possible but the labor will be greater and you still may have a
margin around the windows where the texture or paint is not a perfect match.

A Replacement window is a 2-4 hour job (less for a pro). Replacing with new
construction probably takes twice that plus you have to come back later to
paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

All of the above is true BUT done right you won't have leaks from failed
caulk.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

OP should visit www.pella.com and see how windows are supposed to be
installed. If you don't do it right, how can they hold up against heavy
rain. Caulk does not do the job by itself. Proper flashing is required and
cannot be done in a typical 1 hour replacement job.

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Absolutely correct. Flashing is most of the problem that need
to be done right.

I would stay away from brands like America's choice from home
depot. Stuff like that doesnt look like its made to last.

Name brand stuff like Pella or Anderson should be good for years to
come. What's also nice is they stock parts (if you need them) for
years and years.

I personally installed new construction windows myself. I then
replaced the siding and all is good.

Tom

Art wrote:
OP should visit www.pella.com and see how windows are supposed to be
installed. If you don't do it right, how can they hold up against heavy
rain. Caulk does not do the job by itself. Proper flashing is required and
cannot be done in a typical 1 hour replacement job.

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"PipeDown" wrote in message
nk.net...

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Replacement Windows Carl Home Ownership 29 June 17th 06 02:10 AM
vinyl replacement windows northern virginia Wendy Home Repair 2 April 25th 06 03:14 AM
Replacement windows in Rochester NY klacan Home Ownership 9 January 20th 06 11:55 AM
Windows Replacement TerryB Home Repair 3 December 29th 05 05:01 PM
New Construction vs Replacement Windows? Jeremy Robbins Home Repair 3 September 22nd 04 03:10 PM