Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
klacan

Default Replacement windows in Rochester NY

Recently received a quote from both Pace Windows and Comfort Windows
to replace 7 windows and a patio door for a condo.
Besides the cost does anyone know of the long term durability and
quality of these windows? They are all vinyl,argon filled,double
pane,low e coated sliders.They both make custom made windows with a
lifetime warranty and 10 years for labour.
Any other reputable dealers/installers in the Rochester NY area? Any
input would be appreciated.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

On 18 Jan 2006 10:16:28 -0800, "klacan" wrote:

Recently received a quote from both Pace Windows and Comfort Windows
to replace 7 windows and a patio door for a condo.
Besides the cost does anyone know of the long term durability and
quality of these windows? They are all vinyl,argon filled,double
pane,low e coated sliders.They both make custom made windows with a
lifetime warranty and 10 years for labour.
Any other reputable dealers/installers in the Rochester NY area? Any
input would be appreciated.

You should check with Rochester Colonial. I know nothing about Pace,
but I have seen Rochester Colonial's work, and it's good. I suspect
Pace is fine, though. Why not ask your colleagues whom they've used?
Posted to misc.consumers.house
klacan

Did that.Just wanted to know if other people had any other
experiences.I'm about to drop over 5 grand on these windows and a patio
door.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
user

On 18 Jan 2006 10:16:28 -0800, klacan wrote:
Recently received a quote from both Pace Windows and Comfort Windows
to replace 7 windows and a patio door for a condo.
Besides the cost does anyone know of the long term durability and
quality of these windows? They are all vinyl,argon filled,double
pane,low e coated sliders.They both make custom made windows with a
lifetime warranty and 10 years for labour.
Any other reputable dealers/installers in the Rochester NY area? Any
input would be appreciated.

We were looking at getting replacement windows from Pace a few years
ago. They sent out a saleswoman who was so incredibly high pressure
that we kicked her out of the house before she was done.

Still wanting to give them a chance, they sent out another salesman
at our request. He gave the usual song-and-dance, though less
obnoxiously. When it came time for the quote, it was way, way, way
over the local rates - something like $700/window for their mid-level
product. But then he started the "If you sign right now, I can cut you
a deal" schtick... needless to say, he barely escape having a bootprint
on his rear.

So we tried Rochester Colonial. By that time, we decided we'd go
for wood instead of vinyl. Salesman sounded great, paid attention
to our wishes, and we decided on getting new wood sashes for
a good price, as compared to a full replacement.

Long story short, we waited for about two weeks before their
carpenter came out for the detailed measurements. He took a look
at the windows, shook his head, and told us that they couldn't
fabricate sashes that would fit properly, because of the angle of the
sill. But hey, for $X more, they could do a full replacement.... yada,
yada, yada. Bait and switch? Well, I'm guessing that if they're
incapable of beveling a board to the correct angle, I probably didn't
want their products, anyway.

After that, we just said to heck with it, and kept our original
windows.

- Rich

Posted to misc.consumers.house
klacan

And I thought I had problems....Well had Comfort and Pace both come in
and give us quotes .No song and dance,I told em upfront.We had someone
else come over from another company and give us a long 3 hour blah blah
blah about windows etc..

Either way we need new windows.The ones where we are are over 30 years
old aluminum and the frame itself has air leaking through it.Not to
mention when you see ice on the inside as we did 2 days ago...maybe the
whole thing needs replacing.

But you are right the windows are like 600 a pop which is a lot.

Thanks for the info though.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
user

On 19 Jan 2006 11:44:02 -0800, klacan wrote:
And I thought I had problems....Well had Comfort and Pace both come in
and give us quotes .No song and dance,I told em upfront.We had someone
else come over from another company and give us a long 3 hour blah blah
blah about windows etc..

Either way we need new windows.The ones where we are are over 30 years
old aluminum and the frame itself has air leaking through it.Not to
mention when you see ice on the inside as we did 2 days ago...maybe the
whole thing needs replacing.

But you are right the windows are like 600 a pop which is a lot.

Thanks for the info though.

Do you have storm windows? Have you done a complete job caulking
then? After the debacle trying to get quotes, I did an extra-complete
job of making the existing ones as weather-tight as possible - replacing
the felt insulting strips on the edges of the storm windows, doing a
complete new caulk job, foam insulating strips along the top of the
sashes, etc. It made a HUGE difference. We no longer get ice inside
ours, which used to happen when the temp went down below 10. There's
still the occasional bit of condensation, but nowhere near as much as
we just used. And these are 55 year old windows.

- Rich

~

Posted to misc.consumers.house
klacan

These are all sliders in a condo. Aluminum frames and in poor shape.
But that sounds like a good idea.I'll give em a thorough once over and
see what happens.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:59:12 GMT, user wrote:

[...]

I agree with Rich: my house was built in 1930, and we've still got
the original windows all around with aluminum triple-track storm
windows. I replaced two of those storm windows on the south side of
the house, and that helped a lot, and I've just made sure things are
caulked where possible. Also, I've put that shrink wrap on a few of
the attic windows to reduce drafts up there, a big help.

Granted, these are wood windows, not aluminum, so I sympathize with
your plight. Your plight also is a big reason why I see no reason to
get rid of my good wood windows: the ROI is so incredibly long, plus
who knows if the vinyl or aluminum will last, as you've experienced.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

I was a contractor for almost 30 years and good vinyl windows will do
the job if installed correctly.They are pretty much maintenance free
except for occasional cleaning and possible lubrication. Vinyl windows
normally cost less overall when you take into account labor and
materials. Normally vinyl windows are made to fit an existing opening
while wood windows normally come in standard sizes, therefore you make
the opening fit the window.The casement style usually has the best
"seal" due to the way they are built. Double hung windows usually get
more air leakage because of the way the sashes move. Simonton Vinyl
Windows are probably the most respected and well-known brand on the
market nationwide. Vinyl window companies are a dime a dozen so I would
be very careful. Also remember that like any other product out there
there are good, better,and best levels of any product.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
klacan

Thanks for the info.As you say good,better and best levels.Right now
everyone says their product is best. What is the differance between
those mass produced windows vs. the custom made ones. Besides the cost
any other issues? And they all have lifetime guarantee but some have
only a 1 year labour inclusive and some are 10 year labour inclusive..

What is the life of these things and 1 years vs 10 year. I don't think
problems will happen in 1 year. In 10 I dunno.And then its a lifetime
warranty.Granted its only as good as the company that installed them so
who knows.Is the labour where they get you?