Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

Default Replacement windows in Rochester NY

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:59:12 GMT, user wrote:

On 19 Jan 2006 11:44:02 -0800, klacan wrote:

Either way we need new windows.The ones where we are are over 30 years
old aluminum and the frame itself has air leaking through it.Not to
mention when you see ice on the inside as we did 2 days ago...maybe the
whole thing needs replacing.

Do you have storm windows? Have you done a complete job caulking
then? After the debacle trying to get quotes, I did an extra-complete
job of making the existing ones as weather-tight as possible - replacing
the felt insulting strips on the edges of the storm windows, doing a
complete new caulk job, foam insulating strips along the top of the
sashes, etc. It made a HUGE difference. We no longer get ice inside
ours, which used to happen when the temp went down below 10. There's
still the occasional bit of condensation, but nowhere near as much as
we just used. And these are 55 year old windows.

I agree with Rich: my house was built in 1930, and we've still got
the original windows all around with aluminum triple-track storm
windows. I replaced two of those storm windows on the south side of
the house, and that helped a lot, and I've just made sure things are
caulked where possible. Also, I've put that shrink wrap on a few of
the attic windows to reduce drafts up there, a big help.

Granted, these are wood windows, not aluminum, so I sympathize with
your plight. Your plight also is a big reason why I see no reason to
get rid of my good wood windows: the ROI is so incredibly long, plus
who knows if the vinyl or aluminum will last, as you've experienced.