chemqueries

Default Installing AC in vinyl replacement windows

Hi. Can you give me any advice on installing an air conditioner in
replacement windows? I think the windows are made of vinyl, but I'm
not sure about that.

Thanks.

Brian V

"chemqueries" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi. Can you give me any advice on installing an air conditioner in
replacement windows? I think the windows are made of vinyl, but I'm
not sure about that.

Thanks.

I too was leary of putting my window shakers into my vinyl windows. I built
a small shelf for each one to span the vinyl casement. I used 2x3 on the
inside and 2x4 on the outside, spanned it with a 7"wide x width of window
piece of plywood. Painted them white to match the trim, looks great and
works great.
7"
--------
2x3 | | 2x4 (outside)

-Brian

chemqueries

Brian V wrote:
I too was leary of putting my window shakers into my vinyl windows. I built a small shelf for each one to span the vinyl casement. I used 2x3 on the inside and 2x4 on the outside, spanned it with a 7"wide x width of window piece of plywood. Painted them white to match the trim, looks great and works great.

7"
--------
2x3 | | 2x4 (outside)

-Brian

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your help. The vinyl of the frame also covers the bricks
around the window. The replacement windows are so easy -- until you
have to install locks or air conditioners!

Mikepier

What size A/C are we talking about? Most 5000-7000 BTU units made today
are light enough for a vinyl window to handle.
But if its one of those big 18,000 BTU monsters, thats a different
story.