Andrew

Default Armor Glass on Replacement Windows -- does it work?

I am replacing windows that currently have metal bars on them to
prevent break-ins (necessary in my neighborhood). A window guy that is
giving me an estimate on the job suggested that if I use Armor Glass, I
will not need the bars.

1) Is this true? Is Armor glass as safe as metal bars?
2) He is asking an additional $140 per window (2 windows are 24 X 36,
the other two are 66 X 34). Is this a reasonable cost?
3) How will the Armor glass affect the Visible Tranmittance (the amount
of light coming through). Most of the windows that I have been looking
at have a VT of between .5 and .6. Is Armor glass significantly lower?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

SQLit

"Andrew" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am replacing windows that currently have metal bars on them to
prevent break-ins (necessary in my neighborhood). A window guy that is
giving me an estimate on the job suggested that if I use Armor Glass, I
will not need the bars.

1) Is this true? Is Armor glass as safe as metal bars?
2) He is asking an additional $140 per window (2 windows are 24 X 36,
the other two are 66 X 34). Is this a reasonable cost?
3) How will the Armor glass affect the Visible Tranmittance (the amount
of light coming through). Most of the windows that I have been looking
at have a VT of between .5 and .6. Is Armor glass significantly lower?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

Your joking right?

Glass vs steel bars that is a tough one. Any type of glass even bullet
resistant which this is probably not, can break. All your really doing is
slowing down the thief. At least with bars on the windows the bad guys can
see them.

I will guess your google is busted again

http://www.regencywindow.com/featuredproduct.asp

Joseph Meehan

Andrew wrote:
I am replacing windows that currently have metal bars on them to
prevent break-ins (necessary in my neighborhood). A window guy that
is giving me an estimate on the job suggested that if I use Armor
Glass, I will not need the bars.

1) Is this true? Is Armor glass as safe as metal bars?
2) He is asking an additional $140 per window (2 windows are 24 X 36,
the other two are 66 X 34). Is this a reasonable cost?
3) How will the Armor glass affect the Visible Tranmittance (the
amount of light coming through). Most of the windows that I have
been looking at have a VT of between .5 and .6. Is Armor glass
significantly lower?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

Nothing including the bars will keep a determined bad guy out.

I would suggest two things the bars have in their favor. First they are
a visual signal that you are taking security serious and may discourage an
attempt and they may (depending on design) allow you to open a window and
still have some security. On the other side, they can keep you inside in
the event of a fire.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Jim Yanik

"SQLit" wrote in news

"Andrew" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Bad thing about burglar bars is that they often trap the occupants inside
if a fire occurs,and it's also sad that one has to barricade ones self in
to retain their possessions or stay safe(er).

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
All Thumbs

Jim Yanik wrote:

Bad thing about burglar bars is that they often trap the occupants inside
if a fire occurs

I've seen on TV a kind of burlgar bars that are like a hinged steel gate
mounted inside the house. A cable-linked, pedal-operated mechanism
allows the burglar bars to be unlocked from the inside.

It's not an elegant solution (nor a perfectly safe one -- firefighters
would still have a hard time breaking in to rescue unconscious victims),
but I think an emergency release of some sort is a must for burglar bars.

Jim Yanik

All Thumbs wrote in

Jim Yanik wrote:

Bad thing about burglar bars is that they often trap the occupants
inside if a fire occurs

I've seen on TV a kind of burlgar bars that are like a hinged steel
gate mounted inside the house. A cable-linked, pedal-operated
mechanism allows the burglar bars to be unlocked from the inside.

Except that under the stress of a home fire,with the room full of
smoke,crawling around on the floor,they still get trapped.
Or the mechanism is not exercised and freezes up/rusts.

It's not an elegant solution (nor a perfectly safe one -- firefighters
would still have a hard time breaking in to rescue unconscious
victims),
but I think an emergency release of some sort is a must for burglar
bars.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

replacement windows mid787 Home Ownership 4 October 16th 05 04:26 AM
Wicks replacement windows zaax UK diy 1 July 1st 04 05:49 PM
Installing Replacement Windows José Domínguez Home Repair 4 March 7th 04 12:07 PM
Replacement Windows: Advice Othello1939 Home Repair 8 February 3rd 04 02:11 AM
Need advice on drafty wood windows Don Gross Home Repair 15 December 3rd 03 01:44 AM