Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q Wind turbines

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:27:40 +0000 someone who may be Derek ^
wrote this:-

And who d'ya suppose chose to ignore the following :

"The local ambulance service tried a number of test runs which came
back as "incomplete" because the shift change occurred before the
crew who had set out from 4 miles away and two hours previously with
lights and sirens going got to the hospital."

When people start off their replies with a personal attack like,
"You really are a dim pillock.", the rest of their posting is not
worth replying to.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

And who d'ya suppose chose to ignore the following :

"The local ambulance service tried a number of test runs which came
back as "incomplete" because the shift change occurred before the
crew who had set out from 4 miles away and two hours previously with
lights and sirens going got to the hospital."

When people start off their replies with a personal attack like,
"You really are a dim pillock.", the rest of their posting is not
worth replying to.

That's your opinion.

Where your position really needs defending people see it as a cop out

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:02:16 +0000, David Hansen
wrote:

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 21:48:54 +0000 someone who may be Derek ^
wrote this:-

In respect of Hansen I have satisfied myself that I have no reason to
question the accuracy of that description.

Excellent, rudeness as well.

Rude, Moi ? Read it again.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

And who d'ya suppose chose to ignore the following :

"The local ambulance service tried a number of test runs which came
back as "incomplete" because the shift change occurred before the
crew who had set out from 4 miles away and two hours previously with
lights and sirens going got to the hospital."

When people start off their replies with a personal attack like,
"You really are a dim pillock.", the rest of their posting is not
worth replying to.

I dunno. I find a statement that on the face of it appears to be a bald
statement of fact, usually bodes well for the rest of the post.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Nov 2006 19:23:40 -0800 wrote :
"If you're planning to make the ultimate green fashion statement by
putting a wind turbine on top of your house, think again.

Green campaigners warn that rooftop windmills do little to cut
greenhouse gases, may annoy your neighbours, cause vibrations that
could damage your home and produce only enough electricity to power a
hairdryer.

"The architect behind the eco-friendly makeover of David Cameron's
house has admitted the wind turbine being attached to the Tory leader's
roof is not as effective as was hoped.

Now Mr Michaelis himself has admitted their failings and Mr Cameron,
who spent thousands on his model, may have to invest in a new one as
early as next year. "It's early days for wind turbines and their
efficiency can only get better," said Mr Michaelis, of architects
Michaelis Boyd Associates in Ladbroke Grove."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a... ne/article.do

But if the wind isn't there, buying a new one isn't going to make
much difference.

And this is the leader of the party which promises to slash wasteful
non-productive expenditure

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-23, Tony Bryer wrote:

And this is the leader of the party which promises to slash wasteful
non-productive expenditure

I don't care what he spends *his* money on. I only care about what
he wants to spend *my* money on.

If he can't look after his own money what chance do we have he'll look
after ours? Not much I suggest. The man's a clown!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Edward W. Thompson wrote:

If he can't look after his own money what chance do we have he'll look
after ours? Not much I suggest. The man's a clown!

Just as well he does not want to be chancellor then...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-24 05:51:02 +0000, Edward W. Thompson

On 2006-11-23, Tony Bryer wrote:

And this is the leader of the party which promises to slash wasteful
non-productive expenditure

I don't care what he spends *his* money on. I only care about what
he wants to spend *my* money on.

If he can't look after his own money what chance do we have he'll look
after ours? Not much I suggest. The man's a clown!

He speaks highly of you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:39:06 GMT, Tony Bryer
wrote:

On 11 Nov 2006 19:23:40 -0800 wrote :
"If you're planning to make the ultimate green fashion statement by
putting a wind turbine on top of your house, think again.

Green campaigners warn that rooftop windmills do little to cut
greenhouse gases, may annoy your neighbours, cause vibrations that
could damage your home and produce only enough electricity to power a
hairdryer.

"The architect behind the eco-friendly makeover of David Cameron's
house has admitted the wind turbine being attached to the Tory leader's
roof is not as effective as was hoped.

..

Now Mr Michaelis himself has admitted their failings and Mr Cameron,
who spent thousands on his model, may have to invest in a new one as
early as next year. "It's early days for wind turbines and their
efficiency can only get better," said Mr Michaelis, of architects
Michaelis Boyd Associates in Ladbroke Grove."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a... ne/article.do

But if the wind isn't there, buying a new one isn't going to make
much difference.

And this is the leader of the party which promises to slash wasteful
non-productive expenditure

More fuel for the debate, with emphasis on rooftop systems and their
"capabilities" or lack of.

http://rapidshare.com/files/4548628/...nergy.pdf.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJT DJT is offline

Windsave picture it would never even repay its purchase price over 12
years.

Dan

Just rang them about the cost of pole and brackets - they are included
in the cost, the leaflet says the weight excludes it. Must read more
carefully!

However they did tell me that BS24 in Somerset has an average speed of
3.8m/s and it needs 4.5m/s, so no use here. I asked why B&W sell it
round here and they suggested I ask them!

I could always sell you some wind,
had a slight surplus over the last few days.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...oto/wind25.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:15:52 GMT, DJT wrote:

However they did tell me that BS24 in Somerset has an average speed of
3.8m/s and it needs 4.5m/s, so no use here. I asked why B&W sell it
round here and they suggested I ask them!

I could always sell you some wind,
had a slight surplus over the last few days.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...oto/wind25.jpg

What is the speed vertical scale? Wheeliebin/fortnights?

Also been a bit windy he

http://www.howhill.com/weather/view.php?t=a&y=2006&m=11

Change the 2006 to other year numbers back to 1999 for comparisons with
other Novembers.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:40:54 +0000, AJH wrote:

A substantially bigger turbine has recently won a German design prize.

http://www.design-center.de/english/news/i_energy.htm

Though $DEITY knows why. It's ugly, it looks to be a bit of a lash up, and
the feature that impressed the judges - the ability to withstand high gusts
while still generating electricity - is hardly new.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AJH" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:15:52 GMT, DJT wrote:

A substantially bigger turbine has recently won a German design prize.

http://www.design-center.de/english/news/i_energy.htm

Interesting. I was struck by the table top barbecue - they've invented the
chafing dish!

Mary

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
A substantially bigger turbine has recently won a German design prize.

http://www.design-center.de/english/news/i_energy.htm

Though $DEITY knows why. It's ugly, it looks to be a bit of a lash up,
and the feature that impressed the judges - the ability to withstand
high gusts while still generating electricity - is hardly new.

And I love the optimism:-

"Depending on location it produces between 5000 and 12000 kWh per year."

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:
"AJH" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:15:52 GMT, DJT wrote:

A substantially bigger turbine has recently won a German design prize.

http://www.design-center.de/english/news/i_energy.htm

Interesting. I was struck by the table top barbecue - they've invented the
chafing dish!

Mary

AJH

I see they listed it as good for one peron or couples ! not likley!! It
wouldn't feed my 16st frame at one sitting !!!, best/cheapest BBQ is
the trusty wheelbarrow few bricks and a couple of decent size wire
racks, will take 1-2 full bags of charcoal and you can cook for 10 - 12
on it, top bannana

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:19:59 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

http://www.design-center.de/english/news/i_energy.htm

Interesting. I was struck by the table top barbecue - they've invented
the chafing dish!

B-)

I like the juxtaposition of the wind turbine or solar power kit with the
40 tonne airport fire engine with 1,000bhp engine.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJT DJT is offline

wrote:

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:15:52 GMT, DJT wrote:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...oto/wind25.jpg

Light blue bars peaks and dark blue average? Figures on right y-axis
metres/sec?

Light blue,gust dark blue,average scale is KPH

What does the graph look like for the whole period so far?

Im using outdated software so can only capture and publish 3 day event
at the most.
In the two months that I have been keeping records the average wind
speed has been 7 m/s with max gusts 36 m/s,
this includes a few days with wind from the N.NE, one direction were I
am thankfully sheltered from.

I've looked through Steve Briggs's data in 10 minute intervals but the
windspeeds are too low for most of the period. Bearing in mind my
maths may be flaky but even so on the generous assumption 1kW was
generated at 7m/s, cut in speed was 3m/s and cut out was 20m/s with a
cube law obeyed in between it looked like a gross 500kWhr was
available, 10% of this would be lost as the inverter's parasitic load,
so a net value of around 35 quid. Now I need to super impose a typical
demand to see how that could fit.

A substantially bigger turbine has recently won a German design prize.

http://www.design-center.de/english/news/i_energy.htm

I am still very interested in installing a turbine but im still of the
opinion that the present price of a 5/6Kw unit is borderline cost
effective even in my location.
It would be a different matter if I were not grid connected
The local planning dept are also not helping my green ambitions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Staffbull" wrote in message
oups.com...

Mary Fisher wrote:
"AJH" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:15:52 GMT, DJT wrote:

A substantially bigger turbine has recently won a German design prize.

http://www.design-center.de/english/news/i_energy.htm

Interesting. I was struck by the table top barbecue - they've invented
the
chafing dish!

Mary

AJH

I see they listed it as good for one peron or couples ! not likley!! It
wouldn't feed my 16st frame at one sitting !!!, best/cheapest BBQ is
the trusty wheelbarrow few bricks and a couple of decent size wire
racks, will take 1-2 full bags of charcoal and you can cook for 10 - 12
on it, top bannana

On your table top?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 14:19:59 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

http://www.design-center.de/english/news/i_energy.htm

Interesting. I was struck by the table top barbecue - they've invented
the chafing dish!

B-)

I like the juxtaposition of the wind turbine or solar power kit with the
40 tonne airport fire engine with 1,000bhp engine.

So did I.

What's more, I wouldn't mind having one, I wouldn't have a problem with
traffic jams :-)

Mary

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

B&Q Solar [email protected] UK diy 218 October 22nd 06 11:41 PM
Wind turbines - can be DIY made? dg UK diy 465 October 18th 06 06:00 PM
Roof Turbines Seldom Turn White Horse Home Repair 6 August 28th 06 07:59 PM
Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills naffer UK diy 377 July 17th 06 05:22 PM
DIY roof mount wind power? anyone? Jim UK diy 65 November 25th 05 09:16 AM