Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJT DJT is offline

Default B&Q Wind turbines

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:40:54 +0000, AJH
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:15:52 GMT, DJT wrote:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...oto/wind25.jpg

Light blue bars peaks and dark blue average? Figures on right y-axis
metres/sec?

Light blue,gust dark blue,average scale is KPH

What does the graph look like for the whole period so far?

Im using outdated software so can only capture and publish 3 day event
at the most.
In the two months that I have been keeping records the average wind
speed has been 7 m/s with max gusts 36 m/s,
this includes a few days with wind from the N.NE, one direction were I
am thankfully sheltered from.

I've looked through Steve Briggs's data in 10 minute intervals but the
windspeeds are too low for most of the period. Bearing in mind my
maths may be flaky but even so on the generous assumption 1kW was
generated at 7m/s, cut in speed was 3m/s and cut out was 20m/s with a
cube law obeyed in between it looked like a gross 500kWhr was
available, 10% of this would be lost as the inverter's parasitic load,
so a net value of around 35 quid. Now I need to super impose a typical
demand to see how that could fit.

A substantially bigger turbine has recently won a German design prize.

http://www.design-center.de/english/news/i_energy.htm

I am still very interested in installing a turbine but im still of the
opinion that the present price of a 5/6Kw unit is borderline cost
effective even in my location.
It would be a different matter if I were not grid connected
The local planning dept are also not helping my green ambitions.