Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default B&Q Wind turbines

"PJ" wrote in message ...
Mary Fisher wrote:
"mrcheerful ." wrote in message
.uk...

"Zoinks" wrote in message

All,
Wandering around the local shed today I notice that they have started
doing wind turbines for £1500 inc. installation and VAT.

The bumf says the following:

1) The turbine generates (up to) 1kW
2) It will save me (up to) 30% of my electricity bill
3) Planning permission is (probably) not needed - it equates it with a
satellite dish.
4) The UK Government will (probably) stump up 30% of the cost.
5) It will pay for itself in (around) 7-12 years.

Any thoughts?

Z.

unless you live on a cliff top you are not going to have enough wind to
get even a tenth of a kilowatt.

Or Norfolk ...

Mary

The two turbines at Swaffham were criticised recently for only producing
30% of the expected output.

That was the Scroby Sands windfarm, the media reported that they had only
produced 30% of expected output but that wasn't apparently true. Though in
this muddled bull**** world of eco energy production I doubt any single
quoted figure by any interested party is true.

This is the BBC report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4786647.stm

Maybe the 30 % figure of the detractors comes from comparing the operators
"bigging it up" hyped maximum output (a la B&Q) compared with the actual 90%
of truly expected yearly output.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zoinks" wrote in message
All,
Wandering around the local shed today I notice that they have started
doing wind turbines for £1500 inc. installation and VAT.

The bumf says the following:

1) The turbine generates (up to) 1kW
2) It will save me (up to) 30% of my electricity bill
3) Planning permission is (probably) not needed - it equates it with a
satellite dish.
4) The UK Government will (probably) stump up 30% of the cost.
5) It will pay for itself in (around) 7-12 years.

Any thoughts?

Z.

unless you live on a cliff top you are not going to have enough wind to
get even a tenth of a kilowatt.

Whay-hey - I live at the top of a cliff, with an end wall facing the sea,
and a good Siberian wind blowing most of the time. Perhaps it's time I
invested in one of these things.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote:
Planning permission isn't needed here (I asked the planners) and if it
were it wouldn't cost.

It is needed here and our council does **** all for free except to supply
mouse and rat poison to domestic properties only, which actually isn't free
as it is covered by the community charge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote:
You seemed to assume that it WOULD be on the house. We souldn't have one
on the house, we have a very sturdy (home built) garage which would
accommodate one. If there were enough wind here, which there isn't, we've
been told by a supplier.

It would need to be a two storey garage as the Windsave comes with a 6ft
pole and the blades have to be at least 30ft from ground level. The Windsave
is only suitable for two-storey properties.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-05 00:48:21 +0000, said:

On 4 Nov, Grunff wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

As far as payments are concerned, I've managed to almost completely
eliminate cheque payments by not dealing with people who don't accept
payment by credit card or BACS. There has to be a very good reason
for me to get the cheque book out. So far this year, I have written 3
cheques and hope not to write any more.

I'm glad others have this policy - eventually it'll make a dent. I
cannot stand cheques, either writing or receiving them.

I've gone back to cheques. I don't do pin numbers visible to all and sundry.

It's a simple matter of putting your hand around the keypad.

One other thing to remember is that use of a credit card when making
purchases in excess of £100 provides an additional degree of consumer
protection. This is lost when using the ancient technology of cheques.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Hall wrote:

It's a simple matter of putting your hand around the keypad.

One other thing to remember is that use of a credit card when making
purchases in excess of £100 provides an additional degree of consumer
protection. This is lost when using the ancient technology of cheques.

Not only that, but if your credit card is used fraudulently, as mine was
yesterday, the CC company simply cancels the card and refunds the stolen
money. No big deal.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 23:28:57 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

The annoying thing is that it's only two miles from home ...

snip
I drove home, called a mini cab and was back again a few minutes later.

With the problems of parking and your walking I'd have thought a cab
would be the favourite anyway with transport to the best door for spouses
ward. Cost wise there probably wouldn't be much in it, parking plus
running costs of car at 40p/mile or so.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 23:48:36 -0000, "HLAH"
wrote:

Hospital parking charges are a disgrace. At our local hospital you are only
allowed a full refund for repeat visits if your relative is a terminal
patient.

Travelling around hospitals for work it has come to my notice that
there have been big increases in parking charges over the last year,
usually accompanied by new ticket machines and exit barrier systems.

Typically it might have gone up from a flat fee of £1.00 per stay to
£2.50 for up to 4 hours. A 500% increase.

Not that much, you might say but it equates to £35.00 per week if you
are visiting a seriously ill relative.

When our twins were in the neo-natal unit we could get a charge capped at £2
a day if we had a chit signed and stamped by a medical staff member, nice
having to harass a tired medic for the stamp and nice when we were often
stressed too and then having to get the usually really miserable, and often
absent, security staff to validate it just so we could go home.

£2 a day isn't a lot to see your babies but at £84 for 6 weeks it was a
charge we resented, particularly as the money doesn't go into the coffers of
the Health Trust to help patient care but goes straight into the pockets of
the crony private finance initiative consortium. Why aren't these pfi
investments opened up to local small investors, I would put money in, high
return for apparently zero risk seems better than I can get else where - and
surely Us local patients would be happier about the money flows?

Hmmm, in Leeds they have opened a new hospital car park at £12.00/day.
It only has a few places for public use.

Staff such as nurses have to pay (less) for a space, but it is only
available whilst they are on shift, if they take too long to move
their car at the end of their shift they are "Fined" an amount of
about one day's pay.

It's money for old rope.

:-(

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 01:33:11 GMT, "Jason"
wrote:

unless you live on a cliff top you are not going to have enough wind to
get even a tenth of a kilowatt.

Whay-hey - I live at the top of a cliff, with an end wall facing the sea,
and a good Siberian wind blowing most of the time. Perhaps it's time I
invested in one of these things.

Nah, Get a proper one.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

unless you live on a cliff top you are not going to have enough wind to
get even a tenth of a kilowatt.

Whay-hey - I live at the top of a cliff, with an end wall facing the sea,
and a good Siberian wind blowing most of the time. Perhaps it's time I
invested in one of these things.

Nah, Get a proper one.

DG

What, in My Back Yard?

Oh, go on then :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jason" wrote in message
. uk...

unless you live on a cliff top you are not going to have enough wind to
get even a tenth of a kilowatt.

Whay-hey - I live at the top of a cliff, with an end wall facing the sea,
and a good Siberian wind blowing most of the time. Perhaps it's time I
invested in one of these things.

In your situation I would.

Mary

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 23:28:57 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

The annoying thing is that it's only two miles from home ...

snip
I drove home, called a mini cab and was back again a few minutes later.

With the problems of parking and your walking I'd have thought a cab
would be the favourite anyway with transport to the best door for spouses
ward. Cost wise there probably wouldn't be much in it, parking plus
running costs of car at 40p/mile or so.

There's hanging about waiting (you can't phone from inside the hospital),
having to phone on the mobile, and the fare IS higher than the parking. More
important, I don't like the way mini cab drivers drive and some of them
smoke and/or have those nasty hanging scented dangly things on their
internal mirrors. No thanks, I prefer to have the versatility and
independence of my own car. I only had the parking problem on one day, when
I was later arriving than usual.

Many people do use mini cabs, I'm not saying they shouldn't but it's not for
me.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Codswallop" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote:
You seemed to assume that it WOULD be on the house. We souldn't have one
on the house, we have a very sturdy (home built) garage which would
accommodate one. If there were enough wind here, which there isn't, we've
been told by a supplier.

It would need to be a two storey garage as the Windsave comes with a 6ft
pole and the blades have to be at least 30ft from ground level. The
Windsave is only suitable for two-storey properties.

I don't think I mentioned Windsave ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 12:56:56 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

As I always used to. It's only two minutes' walk away. Unfortunately,
there are now only two sub-postoffices near here (they closed several
others) and it is now permanently crowded, trying to deal with a
customer load well in excess of its capability. It is a very small shop.
It is just impractical to use it.

I buy stamps at the corner shop (which I do support), and unusual stamp
values (not standard 1st/2nd small letters) online.

Since we use a lot of stamps of various demoninations - now increaded in
umber by the Large Letter ones :-) - we buy a few pounds' worth at a time,
they're in a box in my desk drawer. I have been known to buy special fancy
stamps online because I usually leave it too late for the PO to have any in.

Too many variations - not to mention the price rises screwing up the
stock, necessitatingpurchase of even more denominations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 13:02:03 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

There's hanging about waiting (you can't phone from inside the
hospital), having to phone on the mobile,

You can book cabs you know, with fixed visiting times that is OK but not
quite so convient with variable ones.

...and the fare IS higher than the parking.

I don't doubt it but don't forget to take into account the costs of
running your car. About 40p/mile is what mine costs when you take into
account maintenace, tax, fuel and depriciation.

More important, I don't like the way mini cab drivers drive and some of
them smoke and/or have those nasty hanging scented dangly things on
their internal mirrors.

ISTR that you are in an urban area, therefore have more than one cab firm
to choose from...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Jason" wrote in message
. uk...

unless you live on a cliff top you are not going to have enough wind to
get even a tenth of a kilowatt.

Whay-hey - I live at the top of a cliff, with an end wall facing the sea,
and a good Siberian wind blowing most of the time. Perhaps it's time I
invested in one of these things.

In your situation I would.

We certainly have no shortage of wind here, and at rooftop level, there is a
clear view out to sea for a 200 degree sweep, which should help keep the
turbulence down.

I've been following the Windsave products for a couple of years, and so far
have found a lack of evidence to back up the claims they make. They may be
valid, they may not, but until I've seen evidence either way (other than the
usual polarised views of "look at the savings - go for it" and "what a load
of rubbish"), then it is a lot of money to gamble with. I need to understand
the basis for the claims, and relate those claims to my situation. Windsave
are publishing a little more information, but it is still lacking.

The original price for these generators was to be £1000 (including
installation). Now B&Q are the distributers, the price is suddenly £1500. So
although you can get £500 back through grants (for this year at least) it
just turns out to be a B&Q grant. That has kind of annoyed me, perhaps
unjustifiably, perhaps not.

Also, knowing how B&Q work, they would have clamped down on the
manufacturers so much that short-cuts will have been taken, and the quality
will suffer. I found that out after writing to MK about the reliability of
some of their dimmer switches (always burning out when an MK bulb blows).
After giving them the manufacturer code, they informed me that they were the
'special B&Q designed versions'. After comparing the same unit bought from
an independant retailer, it was obvious why: the B&Q version had less in it.
It lacked the surge suppressors of the independant version, and the heatsink
was smaller, and the Triac was just pop-rivetted on rather than screwed on.

So in short, I need to see more evidence, for my own personal benefit, and
even then, I would not touch something like this from B&Q.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 00:39:55 -0000 someone who may be "HLAH"
wrote this:-

That was the Scroby Sands windfarm, the media reported that they had only
produced 30% of expected output but that wasn't apparently true. [snip]

This is the BBC report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4786647.stm

No apparently, according to the BBC report you quoted.

Maybe the 30 % figure of the detractors comes from comparing the operators
"bigging it up" hyped maximum output (a la B&Q) compared with the actual 90%
of truly expected yearly output.

I imagine that the detractors simply used one of their usual
soundbites, the one about wind farms only producing 30% of their
output. I accept that some of the detractors may only be ignorant
about what capacity factor is, but I doubt if they all are only
ignorant.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 18:35:54 +0000, David Hansen wrote:

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 00:39:55 -0000 someone who may be "HLAH"
I imagine that the detractors simply used one of their usual
soundbites, the one about wind farms only producing 30% of their
output.

The article is very clear that the site only produced "around 90% of our
forecast annual output." What it doesn't give is what percentage of the
rated output the "forecast annual output" is.

FX: Google http://www.dti.gov.uk/files/file32785.pdf shows that for the
year the capacity factor was 28.9% which implies a forecast of 32%. This
is more or less the norm for windfarms. This 30%(ish) of rated capacity
is the important number not the rated or installed figure.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jason" wrote in message
o.uk...

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Jason" wrote in message
. uk...

[...]

I wouldn't buy one from B&Q, I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

Mary

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As I always used to. It's only two minutes' walk away. Unfortunately,
there are now only two sub-postoffices near here (they closed several
others) and it is now permanently crowded, trying to deal with a
customer load well in excess of its capability. It is a very small
shop.
It is just impractical to use it.

I buy stamps at the corner shop (which I do support), and unusual stamp
values (not standard 1st/2nd small letters) online.

Since we use a lot of stamps of various demoninations - now increased in
number by the Large Letter ones :-) - we buy a few pounds' worth at a
time,
they're in a box in my desk drawer. I have been known to buy special
fancy
stamps online because I usually leave it too late for the PO to have any
in.

Too many variations - not to mention the price rises screwing up the
stock, necessitatingpurchase of even more denominations.

Prices don't rise often, the things we send are different sizes and weights
meaning that they need variables even though most will go into a pillar box.
I'm not saying that what we would do would work for everyone but it works
for us. With only a few smaller value stamps (10, 2 and 1p) I get by very
nicely.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 13:02:03 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

There's hanging about waiting (you can't phone from inside the
hospital), having to phone on the mobile,

You can book cabs you know, with fixed visiting times that is OK but not
quite so convient with variable ones.

Fixed visiting times? My life doesn't run according to clockwork :-)

...and the fare IS higher than the parking.

I don't doubt it but don't forget to take into account the costs of
running your car. About 40p/mile is what mine costs when you take into
account maintenace, tax, fuel and depriciation.

Depreciation is irrelevant to us, we run a car until it dies. I've never
done the sums but convenience, on the prettey rare occasions we use the car,
is priceless. It runs not more than 5,000 pa, usually more like 3,000.

More important, I don't like the way mini cab drivers drive and some of
them smoke and/or have those nasty hanging scented dangly things on
their internal mirrors.

ISTR that you are in an urban area, therefore have more than one cab firm
to choose from...

Indeed, we have many. I've never yet seen a mini cab which keeps to speed
limits, obeys traffic lights and has good lane discipline.

Leeds is full of cars which seem to be immune from the law by dint of
displaying red plates at the back.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well, that's exactly what I expected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 21:51:00 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Fixed visiting times? My life doesn't run according to clockwork :-)

Yours might not but the NHS does. B-)

Depreciation is irrelevant to us, we run a car until it dies.

So do I, though of the four cars I have owned in the last 20+ years 50%
have been killed rather than die. Of the other 50% one is the current
motor which I hope to still be driving with close to 200,000 miles on the
clock in ten years time.

Depreciation still need to be accounted for as you need the capital lump
via some means to buy the replacement.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:12:41 +0000 (GMT) someone who may be "Dave
Liquorice" wrote this:-

The article is very clear that the site only produced "around 90% of our
forecast annual output." What it doesn't give is what percentage of the
rated output the "forecast annual output" is.

That is because the latter is a not particularly important figure.
If they bid to supply an annual output then they will have had to
purchase the missing 10% of that from the market. They have not had
to purchase 70% of the rated output.

This is the way electricity works. Plants are generally not be
designed or expected to operate at full output all year. This may be
for engineering reasons, such as the supply of water to a turbine,
or management reasons, such as a decision not to sell at particular
times.

I can see why the antis harp on about the difference between a
theoretical figure assuming that a wind farm generated at 100% of
rated output all year. However, the same analysis of an open cycle
gas turbine plant used only at peaks would show an even lower
capacity factor.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 21:39:24 +0000, Andy Hall

On 2006-11-04 20:37:03 +0000, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
Does he need to send you regular cheques for maintenance costs too?
Oh no. BACS would be fine. I hate dealing with paper cheques -
waste of time.

I don't mind *receiving* them - it's writing them distresses me.

I hate that as well. It's a complete PITA having to make a special
trip to go and pay the damn things in - almost as bad as having to go
to a main post office to buy a car licence.

Can't you do that online yet?

As far as payments are concerned, I've managed to almost completely
eliminate cheque payments by not dealing with people who don't accept
payment by credit card or BACS. There has to be a very good reason
for me to get the cheque book out. So far this year, I have written 3
cheques and hope not to write any more.

--
Free Christmas Cards
http://www.christmasfreebies.co.uk/christmas-cards.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 09:00:38 +0000, mogga wrote:

... almost as bad as having to go to a main post office to buy a car
licence.

Can't you do that online yet?

You can now, but if you want your local PO to survive I wouldn't recomend
it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 21:51:00 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

Fixed visiting times? My life doesn't run according to clockwork :-)

Yours might not but the NHS does. B-)

I've not experienced that since 1960 when visitors queued at the ward doors
with their tickets and a bell was rung at the end of visiting time.

During Spouse's stay I was welcomed by the staff because I was relieving
them of personal care. I also took in his meals and drinks. I went in for
five or six hours during the day and two or three in the evening. I asked if
it were acceptable and was told that it was no problem. That way I could
also be involved in the physiotherapist's, pain team's and consultant's
visits.

Depreciation is irrelevant to us, we run a car until it dies.

So do I, though of the four cars I have owned in the last 20+ years 50%
have been killed rather than die. Of the other 50% one is the current
motor which I hope to still be driving with close to 200,000 miles on the
clock in ten years time.

Depreciation still need to be accounted for as you need the capital lump
via some means to buy the replacement.

Well, we don't think so. We don't take depreciation into account when we buy
clothes, white goods or, well, anything. We've only had one car killed, that
was in 1971.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mogga" wrote in message

... buy a car licence.

Can't you do that online yet?

Yes and it's very easy.

I also obtained a replacement driving licence by phone. No hassle, a
courteous Welshman who had all my details (more than I did!).

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In my case, 4 cheques this year, but one of them was lost by
Legal and General (who can't handle BACS either), and one of
them was car tax too.

I haven't written a cheque since 2004. Before that, it was 2001.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've not experienced that since 1960 when visitors queued at the ward
doors with their tickets and a bell was rung at the end of visiting time.

You're having a laugh. When my latest was born, I was chucked out an hour or
two later after "visiting time", much to my wife's disgust. She hadn't even
wanted it in hospital. The one before was born at home, which was much
better. An hour after the baby is born, all the staff have b*ggered off,
leaving you in your own bed without so much as a taxi ride to bother with.
In hospital she wasn't even allowed to leave until the following afternoon,
because they couldn't find a doctor to sign her out.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 09:00:38 +0000, mogga wrote:

... almost as bad as having to go to a main post office to buy a car
licence.

Can't you do that online yet?

You can now, but if you want your local PO to survive I wouldn't recomend
it.

I realised that when Spouse pointed it out to me, I promised I'd not be so
thoughtless in future.

We, the Fishers, use the local post office a lot, mostly for sending parcels
and packets which won't go into the pillar box. It would be more than
inconvenient to lose it for that reason alone.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from mogga contains these words:

I hate that as well. It's a complete PITA having to make a special
trip to go and pay the damn things in - almost as bad as having to go
to a main post office to buy a car licence.

Can't you do that online yet?

Yes, but not if you've only just bought the car as they send the disc to
the address on the V5 - which won't have changed yet.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
.. .
I've not experienced that since 1960 when visitors queued at the ward
doors with their tickets and a bell was rung at the end of visiting time.

You're having a laugh.

Not at all. They were very strict. But it was a long time ago.

When my latest was born, I was chucked out an hour or two later after
"visiting time", much to my wife's disgust. She hadn't even wanted it in
hospital. The one before was born at home, which was much better.

I couldn't agree more, I had one at home but I was told that the next one
had to be born in hospital and in those days I didn't stand up to Authority.

An hour after the baby is born, all the staff have b*ggered off, leaving
you in your own bed without so much as a taxi ride to bother with. In
hospital she wasn't even allowed to leave until the following afternoon,

:-)

In 1960 I was in for twelve days.

In 1968 I was in for about three.

because they couldn't find a doctor to sign her out.

? We didn't need doctors to do that ...

How things have changed, not always for the better. It's a particular bee in
my bonnet, modern obstetrics..

Mary

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJT DJT is offline

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:21:22 +0000, Zoinks
wrote:

All,
Wandering around the local shed today I notice that they have started
doing wind turbines for £1500 inc. installation and VAT.

The bumf says the following:

1) The turbine generates (up to) 1kW
2) It will save me (up to) 30% of my electricity bill
3) Planning permission is (probably) not needed - it equates it with a
satellite dish.
4) The UK Government will (probably) stump up 30% of the cost.
5) It will pay for itself in (around) 7-12 years.

Any thoughts?

Z.

This has been covered extensively before with some useful facts and
figers see
http://tinyurl.com/y9locd
best to start from about post 60
but to sum up
the advertising blurb from Windsave is wildly optimistic and possibly
even deceitful.
you would need to average over 6ms windspeed for most of the year for
this to be even remotely financially worthwhile.

Only extremely exposed coastal or hill top sites would be able to
achieve this, fine if like me you live in a ex lighthouse-radar
station overlooking the north sea

, but on the side of a urban house below ridge height as in the
Windsave picture it would never even repay its purchase price over 12
years.

Dan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 13:03:09 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

I don't think I mentioned Windsave ...

You didn't.

However, it is worth repeating what they say on their web site, on
the WS-1000 page from the Technical menu, "The Windsave System is
ideal to install at all locations that benefit from good exposure to
the wind." If the knockers are to be believed no such statement is
made by the promoters of this device.

I suspect that Swift and Proven make similar statements.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:19:21 UTC, David Hansen
wrote:

However, it is worth repeating what they say on their web site, on
the WS-1000 page from the Technical menu, "The Windsave System is
ideal to install at all locations that benefit from good exposure to
the wind." If the knockers are to be believed no such statement is
made by the promoters of this device.

Well, they have to. That's their get-out clause when it fails to
deliver. Most consumers will not understand that 'good exposure' is
difficult to attain with most houses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJT DJT is offline

wrote this:-

I don't think I mentioned Windsave ...

You didn't.

However, it is worth repeating what they say on their web site, on
the WS-1000 page from the Technical menu, "The Windsave System is
ideal to install at all locations that benefit from good exposure to
the wind."

Quite a misleading comment when they also say

The average wind speed across the UK is ~5.6m/sec. at 10m above the
ground

If the knockers are to be believed no such statement is
made by the promoters of this device.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I don't think I mentioned Windsave ...

You didn't.

However, it is worth repeating what they say on their web site, on
the WS-1000 page from the Technical menu, "The Windsave System is
ideal to install at all locations that benefit from good exposure to
the wind."

Quite a misleading comment when they also say

The average wind speed across the UK is ~5.6m/sec. at 10m above the
ground

Why is it misleading?

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJT DJT is offline

On Mon, 6 Nov 2006 18:19:21 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

.. .

wrote this:-

I don't think I mentioned Windsave ...

You didn't.

However, it is worth repeating what they say on their web site, on
the WS-1000 page from the Technical menu, "The Windsave System is
ideal to install at all locations that benefit from good exposure to
the wind."

Quite a misleading comment when they also say

The average wind speed across the UK is ~5.6m/sec. at 10m above the
ground

Why is it misleading?

Mary

How many average houses do you think would have an average wind speed
of 5.6m/sec. =13 MPH below ridge height. ?

B&Q Solar [email protected] UK diy 218 October 22nd 06 11:41 PM
Wind turbines - can be DIY made? dg UK diy 465 October 18th 06 06:00 PM
Roof Turbines Seldom Turn White Horse Home Repair 6 August 28th 06 07:59 PM
Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills naffer UK diy 377 July 17th 06 05:22 PM
DIY roof mount wind power? anyone? Jim UK diy 65 November 25th 05 09:16 AM