Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default repair caterpillar shoes

I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Nov 2006 12:03:58 -0800, "heavytull"
wrote:

I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

You'd be better off taking them back to the shop and getting a
replacement or a refund, together with a bit of compensation.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

You'd be better off taking them back to the shop and getting a
replacement or a refund, together with a bit of compensation.

no i can't do that coz, i'm not living next to that shop anymore.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "heavytull" contains these words:

I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made.

So take them back.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "heavytull" contains these words:

no i can't do that coz, i'm not living next to that shop anymore.

It doesn't have to be the same shop. Or you could just write to
Caterpillar. Unless they're bootleg boots.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

You'd be better off taking them back to the shop and getting a
replacement or a refund, together with a bit of compensation.

no i can't do that coz, i'm not living next to that shop anymore.

The point is that if you "repair" them yourself, Caterpillar will
carry on selling duff gear quite happily. You buy shoes to wear, not
to mend.

How was one of your shoes allowed to leave the factory badly finished?
Because it's probably happened before and nobody complained.

If you're going to start mending new stuff, you might as well have
made the shoes yourself from scratch. It would be a lot cheaper - but
then you wouldn't have the necessary logo on them!

Once again, this seems to be the classic British trait of paying
top-whack prices and being the least prepared to complain about shoddy
goods/service.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 23:11:15 +0000, Frank Erskine
wrote:

no i can't do that coz, i'm not living next to that shop anymore.

The point is that if you "repair" them yourself, Caterpillar will
carry on selling duff gear quite happily. You buy shoes to wear, not
to mend.

How was one of your shoes allowed to leave the factory badly finished?
Because it's probably happened before and nobody complained.

If you're going to start mending new stuff, you might as well have
made the shoes yourself from scratch. It would be a lot cheaper - but
then you wouldn't have the necessary logo on them!

Once again, this seems to be the classic British trait of paying
top-whack prices and being the least prepared to complain about shoddy
goods/service.

But, but, but they were probably made by a 7 year old kid in
Phillinesia, and if they get a complaint they'll chop his head off.

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Owain contains these words:

AFAIK most glues used in shoe repair require a combination of heat and
pressure, so are probably best left to cobblers with the
heat-and-pressure machine.

Personally I'd be applying heat and pressure to Caterpillar and their
retailer.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

heavytull wrote:

I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

thanks

BTDT, and its a waste of time. Even the heat & pressure pro glues just
arent strong enough for it to last.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

heavytull wrote:

I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

thanks

BTDT, and its a waste of time. Even the heat & pressure pro glues just
arent strong enough for it to last.

Also it just takes too long. Caterpillars have 100 legs after all.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"heavytull" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and accessories were
manufactured to extremely poor quality and design when it was first popular
over ten years ago. It was a big name, plastered on shody tat. I'd never go
near that stuff again.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"heavytull" wrote:
I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

thanks

I wonder whether gluing something that was stitched originally will last
long, especially if there is flexing and contact with water. Shoe repairers
use contact adhesives such as Evostik, and clamp for 24 hours if necessary.
Might be worth asking the advice of a shoe repair shop as to whether gluing
will work or whether stitching is possible or necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from "Jason" contains these words:

From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and accessories were
manufactured to extremely poor quality and design when it was first popular
over ten years ago. It was a big name, plastered on shody tat. I'd never go
near that stuff again.

Bit like JCB tools - and worse, JCB toys.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jason wrote:
From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and accessories
were manufactured to extremely poor quality and design when it was
first popular over ten years ago. It was a big name, plastered on shody
tat. I'd never go near that stuff again.

Lots of fakes around, too.

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Guy King wrote:
no i can't do that coz, i'm not living next to that shop anymore.

It doesn't have to be the same shop.

It doesn't have to be the same shop if it's a multiple retailer, but it
has to be a shop operated by the same legal entity as was the original
seller.

Or you could just write to
Caterpillar. Unless they're bootleg boots.

:-)

AFAIK most glues used in shoe repair require a combination of heat and
pressure, so are probably best left to cobblers with the
heat-and-pressure machine.

It would probably cost so much that I'd better buy new ones

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message
from Owain contains these words:

AFAIK most glues used in shoe repair require a combination of heat and
pressure, so are probably best left to cobblers with the
heat-and-pressure machine.

Personally I'd be applying heat and pressure to Caterpillar and their
retailer.

hahha, that's the best idea

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

no i can't do that coz, i'm not living next to that shop anymore.

The point is that if you "repair" them yourself, Caterpillar will
carry on selling duff gear quite happily. You buy shoes to wear, not
to mend.

How was one of your shoes allowed to leave the factory badly finished?
Because it's probably happened before and nobody complained.

If you're going to start mending new stuff, you might as well have
made the shoes yourself from scratch. It would be a lot cheaper - but
then you wouldn't have the necessary logo on them!

Once again, this seems to be the classic British trait of paying
top-whack prices and being the least prepared to complain about shoddy
goods/service.

But, but, but they were probably made by a 7 year old kid in
Phillinesia, and if they get a complaint they'll chop his head off.

ha ha , that might be true they are made in Viet Nam
DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:
"heavytull" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and accessories were
manufactured to extremely poor quality and design when it was first popular
over ten years ago.

didn't know that

It was a big name, plastered on shody tat. I'd never go
near that stuff again.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

what i actually did is to send them a message through their "contact"
section on their website;
I'd be surprised to get an answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"heavytull" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jason wrote:
"heavytull" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and accessories
were
manufactured to extremely poor quality and design when it was first
popular
over ten years ago.

didn't know that

It was around 1997, and I think Next were selling the stuff. My partner
bought shoes and daybags and hats, thinking they were going to be robust
(with a name like Caterpiller..). The day bag broke in five different places
on my first outing - the straps slipped, so needed safety pins to hold them,
the plastic label on the front cracked (and was far to thick and heavy
anyway, just adding to the weight of the bag), the flimsy plastic bits on
the straps snapped, the stitching came undone around the base, etc. That was
the first outing. Other products met a similar fate very quickly. Took me a
while to pursuade her to stop buying that crap. The problem was, it *looked*
good in the catalogue. It was the genuine thing, and perhaps some fakes
would have been better made.

It was a big name, plastered on shody tat. I'd never go
near that stuff again.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jason" wrote in message
o.uk...

"heavytull" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made. The upper leather side has been badly
sewn to the sole at a part, so after some time the seams started to
leave the sole at that part so as there is a growing hole between the
upper leather side and the sole of the shoe. What I would like to do
now is to stick it back by means of the appropriate glue type. But I
don't know anything about glues and shoe mending. If someone knows the
name I could buy it in a specific shop for glues around.

From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and accessories were
manufactured to extremely poor quality and design when it was first
popular over ten years ago. It was a big name, plastered on shody tat. I'd
never go near that stuff again.

-- JJ

I am going to defend Cat boots now. I ave had a pair for 10 years and they
are still ok, I am a bit miffed as one of the laces broke this week .

Regards

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
Jason wrote:
From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and accessories
were manufactured to extremely poor quality and design when it was first
popular over ten years ago. It was a big name, plastered on shody tat.
I'd never go near that stuff again.

CAT boots - "can't afford Timberlands"

Owain

Can afford timberslands, don't see the point in paying £100 for boots when I
can get similar for £35 from Makro.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Jason wrote:
From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and accessories
were manufactured to extremely poor quality and design when it was
first popular over ten years ago. It was a big name, plastered on shody
tat. I'd never go near that stuff again.

Lots of fakes around, too.

Sorry Win Pu - you can't put that label on those shoes - the quality's
just too good

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-04 19:07:20 +0000, "Stephen Dawson"
said:

"Owain" wrote in message
Jason wrote:
From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and accessories
were manufactured to extremely poor quality and design when it was
first popular over ten years ago. It was a big name, plastered on shody
tat. I'd never go near that stuff again.

CAT boots - "can't afford Timberlands"

Owain

Can afford timberslands, don't see the point in paying £100 for boots
when I can get similar for £35 from Makro.

Yes but then you have to go to Makro.

Each time I have been to one they always seem to smell of decaying food.

Nowadays if I want to bulk buy items such as mineral water, I go to
Costco - at least that doesn't smell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-04 19:07:20 +0000, "Stephen Dawson"
said:

"Owain" wrote in message
. ..
Jason wrote:
From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and
accessories were manufactured to extremely poor quality and design
when it was first popular over ten years ago. It was a big name,
plastered on shody tat. I'd never go near that stuff again.
CAT boots - "can't afford Timberlands"
Owain

Can afford timberslands, don't see the point in paying £100 for
boots when I can get similar for £35 from Makro.

Yes but then you have to go to Makro.

Each time I have been to one they always seem to smell of decaying food.

Nowadays if I want to bulk buy items such as mineral water, I go to
Costco - at least that doesn't smell.

Last mineral water I bought at Costco was Pelligrini in glass bottles

gimme M&S fizz any day (especially as I drink 3 litres / day)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-05 00:03:42 +0000, raden said:

In message , Andy Hall writes

Nowadays if I want to bulk buy items such as mineral water, I go to
Costco - at least that doesn't smell.

Last mineral water I bought at Costco was Pelligrini in glass bottles

This one?

http://www.nestle.com/Our_Brands/Bot...an_Pellegrino/

I quite like that - not flat but not OTT on bubbles either. I don't
much like mineral water in plastic bottles...

gimme M&S fizz any day (especially as I drink 3 litres / day)

Haven't tried that? Good?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-05 00:03:42 +0000, raden said:

In message , Andy Hall writes

Nowadays if I want to bulk buy items such as mineral water, I go to
Costco - at least that doesn't smell.

Last mineral water I bought at Costco was Pelligrini in glass bottles

This one?

http://www.nestle.com/Our_Brands/Bot...an_Pellegrino/

I quite like that - not flat but not OTT on bubbles either. I don't
much like mineral water in plastic bottles...

gimme M&S fizz any day (especially as I drink 3 litres / day)

Haven't tried that? Good?

Very fizzy ... in plastic bottles

cuts into the throat well when cold

OK for a tea-totaller like me

(insert smiley here --)

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-05 01:04:20 +0000, raden said:

gimme M&S fizz any day (especially as I drink 3 litres / day)

Haven't tried that? Good?

Very fizzy ... in plastic bottles

cuts into the throat well when cold

That's important

OK for a tea-totaller like me

(insert smiley here --)

How long until the wedding?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-05 01:04:20 +0000, raden said:

gimme M&S fizz any day (especially as I drink 3 litres / day)
Haven't tried that? Good?

Very fizzy ... in plastic bottles
cuts into the throat well when cold

That's important

OK for a tea-totaller like me
(insert smiley here --)

How long until the wedding?

February

but I seem to have stopped losing weight

this is going to mean .. DIET !

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-05 01:04:20 +0000, raden said:

gimme M&S fizz any day (especially as I drink 3 litres / day)
Haven't tried that? Good?

Very fizzy ... in plastic bottles
cuts into the throat well when cold

That's important

OK for a tea-totaller like me
(insert smiley here --)

How long until the wedding?

February

but I seem to have stopped losing weight

this is going to mean .. DIET !

or a new suit

or better yet, convincing everyone involved that a suit isn't necessary anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Hall writes

In message , Andy Hall writes
On 2006-11-05 01:04:20 +0000, raden said:

gimme M&S fizz any day (especially as I drink 3 litres / day)
Haven't tried that? Good?

Very fizzy ... in plastic bottles
cuts into the throat well when cold
That's important

OK for a tea-totaller like me
(insert smiley here --)
How long until the wedding?

February
but I seem to have stopped losing weight
this is going to mean .. DIET !

or a new suit

I'm coming round to this overwhelming likelihood

or better yet, convincing everyone involved that a suit isn't necessary anyway.

Yeah, I'm not best man this time

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-11-05 20:50:00 +0000, Owain said:

Andy Hall wrote:
raden said:
How long until the wedding?
February
but I seem to have stopped losing weight
this is going to mean .. DIET !

or a new suit

This is one advantage of Scottish weddings - kilts usually have about
4-6" adjustment on the tummy.

Owain

To which the inevitable question.....

"What's worn under the kilt?"

"Nothing. Everything's in perfect working order!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
Jason wrote:
From what I remember, Caterpiller (or "Cat") clothing and accessories were
manufactured to extremely poor quality and design when it was first popular
over ten years ago. It was a big name, plastered on shody tat. I'd never go
near that stuff again.

CAT boots - "can't afford Timberlands"

what you mean??
Tim's better than CAT?
I don't like their kid colors

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King
saying something like:

The message .com
from "heavytull" contains these words:

I have bought a brand new pair of shoes from caterpillar, but one of
the shoes has been badly made.

So take them back.

And make tracks.
--