Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

Default Small parts gold plating

I'm into amateur sound recordings using electret microphones. These require
a low voltage, ~ 2.2v, which is supplied by the camcorder or Minidisc
recorder via the signal lead. Consequently for low noise recordings it is
essential that the 3.5mm plugs and sockets between the microphone and
recorder aren't suffering from handling noise caused by oxide on the
contacts. Where possible I've obtained gold-plated plugs from headphone
leads, but the choice on offer* doesn't cover my precise configuration, and
I do get handling noise.
(*I've looked at CPC-Farnell, Maplin & RS websites recently.)

Can anyone recommend a UK based gold plating service which might be able to
plate the nickel(?) coated plugs and sockets which I can obtain easily. And
at a reasonable price for very small numbers.

Thanks in adavance

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
I'm into amateur sound recordings using electret microphones. These require
a low voltage, ~ 2.2v, which is supplied by the camcorder or Minidisc
recorder via the signal lead. Consequently for low noise recordings it is
essential that the 3.5mm plugs and sockets between the microphone and
recorder aren't suffering from handling noise caused by oxide on the
contacts. Where possible I've obtained gold-plated plugs from headphone
leads, but the choice on offer* doesn't cover my precise configuration, and
I do get handling noise.
(*I've looked at CPC-Farnell, Maplin & RS websites recently.)

Can anyone recommend a UK based gold plating service which might be able to
plate the nickel(?) coated plugs and sockets which I can obtain easily. And
at a reasonable price for very small numbers.

Thanks in adavance

Try your local jeweller, not high street chain.....

Joules
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

Malcolm Stewart wrote:

I'm into amateur sound recordings using electret microphones. These require
a low voltage, ~ 2.2v, which is supplied by the camcorder or Minidisc
recorder via the signal lead. Consequently for low noise recordings it is
essential that the 3.5mm plugs and sockets between the microphone and
recorder aren't suffering from handling noise caused by oxide on the
contacts. Where possible I've obtained gold-plated plugs from headphone
leads, but the choice on offer* doesn't cover my precise configuration, and
I do get handling noise.
(*I've looked at CPC-Farnell, Maplin & RS websites recently.)

I'm just wondering whether what you need is a low-noise cable, rather
than gold-plated plugs - something like RS stock no. 367-296, perhaps.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message .. .
[...]

I recently had some clock parts gold plated by Premier Plating of High
Wycombe.
Excellent job and reasonable price. Not too much of a trek from MK but could
perhaps
be done by mail.
HTH

Nick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

The message
from Andy Wade contains these words:

I'm just wondering whether what you need is a low-noise cable, rather
than gold-plated plugs - something like RS stock no. 367-296, perhaps.

How about a soldering iron. Just solder the wires on each time - it'll
be better than any connector.

--
Skipweasel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:40:16 +0100, "Malcolm Stewart"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a UK based gold plating service which might be able to
plate the nickel(?) coated plugs and sockets which I can obtain easily. And
at a reasonable price for very small numbers.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Try http://www.auric.co.uk/
or
http://www.twickenham.co.uk/

I've used both of them for commercial gold plating over nickel on
automotive electronic connector jobs, the spec. for which was
0.75microns nickel hardened gold over 1.25-2.25 microns sulphate
nickel.
This gave a good hard wearing contact surface.

Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

In article ,
Malcolm Stewart wrote:
I'm into amateur sound recordings using electret microphones. These
require a low voltage, ~ 2.2v, which is supplied by the camcorder or
Minidisc recorder via the signal lead. Consequently for low noise
recordings it is essential that the 3.5mm plugs and sockets between the
microphone and recorder aren't suffering from handling noise caused by
oxide on the contacts. Where possible I've obtained gold-plated plugs
from headphone leads, but the choice on offer* doesn't cover my precise
configuration, and I do get handling noise.

They are the spawn of the devil, those mini-jacks. I'd just keep a can of
cleaner/contact treatment like Electrolube handy. You're likely to get
handling noise off the cable too.

It's for a good reason 'proper' mics are low impedance balanced and use
XLRs. I modified my portable MiniDisc by hard wiring onto the PCB and
having a flying XLR lead.

--
*Reality? Is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:13:13 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Malcolm Stewart wrote:
[...]

Cheapskate! Use Lemo's :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message news:4517ec13$0$19707 Can anyone recommend a UK based gold plating
service which might be able to
plate the nickel(?) coated plugs and sockets which I can obtain easily.

And
at a reasonable price for very small numbers.

Whatever you can do to the plug, the socket inside the camcorder or Minidisc
recorder is always going to be crap. As other's have said, if you're
serious you need XLR connectors for mic's.
Greg

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

Guy King wrote:

How about a soldering iron. Just solder the wires on each time - it'll
be better than any connector.

Slightly inconvenient and may not cure the problem if is is due to cable
microphony. Good to do once though to prove the point one way or the other.

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

In article ,
Mark Rand wrote:
It's for a good reason 'proper' mics are low impedance balanced and use
XLRs. I modified my portable MiniDisc by hard wiring onto the PCB and
having a flying XLR lead.

Cheapskate! Use Lemo's :-)

;-)

Cost more than the recorder...

--
*If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message .. .
I'm into amateur sound recordings using electret microphones. These
require a low voltage, ~ 2.2v, which is supplied by the camcorder or
Minidisc recorder via the signal lead. Consequently for low noise
recordings it is essential that the 3.5mm plugs and sockets between the
microphone and recorder aren't suffering from handling noise caused by
oxide on the contacts. Where possible I've obtained gold-plated plugs
from headphone leads, but the choice on offer* doesn't cover my precise
configuration, and I do get handling noise.
(*I've looked at CPC-Farnell, Maplin & RS websites recently.)

Try a Google on electroless gold. Used to do it ages ago on small microwave
assemblies.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

Malcolm Stewart wrote:

I'm into amateur sound recordings using electret microphones. These require
a low voltage, ~ 2.2v, which is supplied by the camcorder or Minidisc
recorder via the signal lead. Consequently for low noise recordings it is
essential that the 3.5mm plugs and sockets between the microphone and
recorder aren't suffering from handling noise caused by oxide on the
contacts. Where possible I've obtained gold-plated plugs from headphone
leads, but the choice on offer* doesn't cover my precise configuration, and
I do get handling noise.
(*I've looked at CPC-Farnell, Maplin & RS websites recently.)

Can anyone recommend a UK based gold plating service which might be able to
plate the nickel(?) coated plugs and sockets which I can obtain easily. And
at a reasonable price for very small numbers.

Thanks in adavance

Your really chasing something that you'll only catch by getting rid of
the 3.5s altogether imho. 3.5 jacks are simply not a system thats upto
it, for a number of reasons.
Youve got small contact areas
Whatever plug you use, youve got a consumer grade socket in the chain
due to small plug size, cable handling puts a relatively high forces on
the jack and its connection points
Youve got plugs with a central pin pressed onto the lug, and some come
loose
youve got at best physically weak assemblies
and so on. Its not gonna work, pull out the 3.5 socket and mount
something decent on there. 1/4" jacks might be sufficient, but XLR and
a balanced mic would be much better.

I have worked on recording studio equipment but not a lot.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

"Malcolm Stewart" wrote in
message .. .
I'm into amateur sound recordings using electret microphones. These
require a low voltage, ~ 2.2v, which is supplied by the camcorder or
Minidisc recorder via the signal lead. Consequently for low noise
recordings it is essential that the 3.5mm plugs and sockets between the
microphone and recorder aren't suffering from handling noise caused by
oxide on the contacts. Where possible I've obtained gold-plated plugs
from headphone leads, but the choice on offer* doesn't cover my precise
configuration, and I do get handling noise.
(*I've looked at CPC-Farnell, Maplin & RS websites recently.)

Can anyone recommend a UK based gold plating service which might be able
to plate the nickel(?) coated plugs and sockets which I can obtain easily.
And at a reasonable price for very small numbers.

Thanks in adavance

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Company names (which didn't turn up in
my Google search) etc. have been noted.

The handling noise only occurs occasionally and is not caused by the Yoga
electret microphone cables (I've just checked this specifically.) I do have
an XLR connector lying around and it's about 1/3 the size of my Minidisc
recorder, so not really suitable for this application.

I've tried applying a drop of Electrolube switch-cleaner to the noisy
connectors, and after being exercised for a short time, the handling noise
disappears. Period. However, I expect it will be back when the chemical
has dried out, so gold plating would probably be the long term answer.
There's no audible noise from gold-plated plug contact against gold plated
socket.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

No-one seems to have expressed any concern that the OP wants to gold
plate his small parts.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

Malcolm Stewart wrote:

I've tried applying a drop of Electrolube switch-cleaner to the noisy
connectors, and after being exercised for a short time, the handling noise
disappears. Period. However, I expect it will be back when the chemical
has dried out, so gold plating would probably be the long term answer.
There's no audible noise from gold-plated plug contact against gold plated
socket.

There used to be some products often recommended in the sci.electronics
newsgroups - Tweek and De-Oxit, I think. These were some sort of
contact enhancer rather than the solvent/lubricant that electrolube
use, and were particularly popular with the hifi crowd. Might be
worth a try if you can source some.

-adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

wrote in message
ps.com...
No-one seems to have expressed any concern that the OP wants to gold
plate his small parts.

NT

Well as true Engineers, we don't have small parts, so probably have no
comment G

AWEM