Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Heather Coleman

Default Question about Melting Gold - Changing Colours during annealing

Hi :-)

I was chatting on this group back in November 20th of 2004 about working
with gold and have another question that someone might know something
about and want to comment on.

I will have to explain my story in order for someone to get the idea of
what I have been up to... I am no professional so bear with me! :-)

About 4 years back I took two of my hall-marked gold rings of what I
believed to be 18ct gold and melted them in a crucible in my pottery
kiln at about 1300 deg Cent...
I knew nothing at the time about working with gold and so assumed I
would get a blob of gold that I could experiment with as back then I
could not afford to buy new.

Well... if I had used a flux it would have helped but my crucible broke
and I ended up with several scattered blobs of good looking gold and a
load of very nice rich coloured red and black glassy material where I
assumed the copper part from the gold had merged with the glaze that was
on my homemade crucible!

Next thing I decided to do (still at that time with little knowledge)
was take the dozen or so bits of broken crucible out into my garden and
blow torch them until the metallic gold ran off them. I scattered some
flux on to help them run and eventually after a long time I managed to
salvage a blob of gold from the mess I had created.

I think after that I had a go at beating the blob into a disc which
worked and then the project got left for another year or so.

When I decided to finally do something with this blob I re-melted it
AGAIN in a small pure porcelain (unglazed) crucible that I made with
some flux and then beat it into a ring... this time I managed to create
it into a small doughnut shape that I beat on a ring making stake and I
almost got it to a ring that I could wear but because I did not keep
annealing it often enough it split...

So the gold went back and got remelted yet again!

Last week, I decided to have another go :-) and this time I took the
blob and reformed it as a little doughnut (blob with a hole in the
middle) and this time I managed to form a single ring which I later
sliced down the middle and made two beautiful narrow rings from. The
appearance is very rugged with beat marks all over and is exactly what I
wanted to achieve.

Now this brings me on to my questions...

While making the final rings I annealed the metal very often to soften
it... sometimes I quenched it in acid while it was still very hot and
the metal surface when beaten on the stake was very silver coloured, not
gold at all (?!)
Other times I quenched it in acid when it was much cooler and the
surface was a pale golden colour.

The final colour of the rings (because the last time I annealed them I
did not quench but left the very black oxide on them) is a deep rich
gold/copper colour which is rather nice.

Am I right in saying that this is because the gold still has a lot of
copper in it and the copper oxides are trapped in the structure of the
gold?

When I quenched in acid from VERY hot (the glow only just died away) the
colour went almost completely silver which was what puzzled me the
most... I assume this is because the gold crystalised at it's surface
due to rapid cooling and so it was reflecting the light in the surface
layers?

And I assume that if I wanted to change the colour back to the best gold
that I can achieve with this overworked material I would have to reheat
and quench them at a much lower temperature?

Finally, this is a really daft question to ask but is this how different
coloured golds like red and white etc. are created?

In conclusion... those two original rings have certainly been through
the fires, I have learned a few things the hard way, but I now have two
lovely rings that I should enjoy for a few more years to come.

regards
Heather
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Werby

"Heather Coleman" wrote in message

[...]

[That would mostly be the flux, with perhaps a little color from the metal
oxides.]

[...]

[Quenching in acid will create toxic fumes, and can splash corrosive fluid
around. Steel tools anywhere in the vicinity can experience accellerated
rusting. Most jewelers use a milder pickle solution based on sodium
bisulphate ("Sparex" is one brand - it's also sold as swimming pool Ph
adjuster), which works almost as well with fewer bad effects.]

The final colour of the rings (because the last time I annealed them I did
not quench but left the very black oxide on them) is a deep rich
gold/copper colour which is rather nice.

[The acid quenching may have been depleting the copper at the surface.]

Am I right in saying that this is because the gold still has a lot of
copper in it and the copper oxides are trapped in the structure of the
gold?

[Not the oxides, but the metal itself.]

When I quenched in acid from VERY hot (the glow only just died away) the
colour went almost completely silver which was what puzzled me the most...
I assume this is because the gold crystalised at it's surface due to rapid
cooling and so it was reflecting the light in the surface layers?

[I don't know; I've never done that.]

And I assume that if I wanted to change the colour back to the best gold
that I can achieve with this overworked material I would have to reheat
and quench them at a much lower temperature?

[That seems to have worked...]

Finally, this is a really daft question to ask but is this how different
coloured golds like red and white etc. are created?

[No, that's done by alloying with different metals.]

In conclusion... those two original rings have certainly been through the
fires, I have learned a few things the hard way, but I now have two lovely
rings that I should enjoy for a few more years to come.

regards
Heather

[At least you didn't hurt yourself; that's the important thing. If you do
this again, use a torch, not your pottery kiln, and a real crucible. Flux is
good, but don't use too much - it's meant to cover the gold during melting,
but is just in the way during pouring, and it can make inclusions if it gets
mixed into the metal. Ingots are inherently rather porous, use a
purpose-made jeweler's ingot mold to get the best ones you can. Anneal by
heating to cherry red and quenching immediately; with high-karat gold you
don't need to use acid or even pickle - water will do.]

Andrew Werby
www.unitedartworks.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Heather Coleman wrote:

When I decided to finally do something with this blob I re-melted it
AGAIN in a small pure porcelain (unglazed) crucible that I made with
some flux and then beat it into a ring... this time I managed to create
it into a small doughnut shape that I beat on a ring making stake and I
almost got it to a ring that I could wear but because I did not keep
annealing it often enough it split...

So the gold went back and got remelted yet again!

You probably could have welded that split back together, if you have a
small torch flame.

While making the final rings I annealed the metal very often to soften
it... sometimes I quenched it in acid while it was still very hot and
the metal surface when beaten on the stake was very silver coloured, not
gold at all (?!)
Other times I quenched it in acid when it was much cooler and the
surface was a pale golden colour.

I don't know anything about this acid quenching, and my little amount of
gold work is in the area of reclaiming and refining gold as pure as I
can. But, a very small amount of some metals can turn the gold to a
pretty white color. Most of the contaminating base metals can be
removed with acids when it is cool. But, then, maybe you don't want
to remove all the base metal for jewelry.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Heather Coleman wrote:

Now this brings me on to my questions...

While making the final rings I annealed the metal very often to soften
it... sometimes I quenched it in acid while it was still very hot and
the metal surface when beaten on the stake was very silver coloured, not
gold at all (?!)

It is NEVER a good idea to quench hot metal, and especially very hot
metal, directly in acid. Always quench in water and then pickle (remove
fire scale) in acid. Or quench in denatured alcohol.

Other times I quenched it in acid when it was much cooler and the
surface was a pale golden colour.

The final colour of the rings (because the last time I annealed them I
did not quench but left the very black oxide on them) is a deep rich
gold/copper colour which is rather nice.

I assume, that you did remove the fire scale in the acid.

Am I right in saying that this is because the gold still has a lot of
copper in it and the copper oxides are trapped in the structure of the
gold?

No. Every time you remove the fire scale in the acid solution, the acid
removes a bit of the copper from the surface layer of the metal. The
result is, that this will change the color of your alloy.

If you started with a yellow gold alloy, the final color will be paler.
If you started with a red gold alloy, the final color will be more
towards fine gold (a richer yellow).

Yellow gold alloys have more silver and less copper, and red gold alloys
have more copper and less silver. Since in pickling some copper is
removed and gold and silver stay behind, the yellow gold alloys get
paler, the red gold alloys get richer yellow. All of this works much
better with 18K gold alloys.

If you watch the video on my web site (it's a 20 minute video), you'll
see that at the end of the video (from around 15'12" to about 16') I
turn the lights of and work in the dark. I do this so I can easily see
the color of the gold change while I am heating it with my torch to a
dull red. I then let the piece cool to black, at which point I quench
the piece in concentrated hydrochloric acid (DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME!!!)
I repeat this process about 4 to 6 times, and each time in between I
brush the piece with a brass brush to polish the thin layer of fine gold
that has formed on the surface. This process can only be performed with
red gold alloys that contain a large amount of copper and very little
silver. The process is called "depletion gilding". Because it is
"depleted" of copper.

When I quenched in acid from VERY hot (the glow only just died away) the
colour went almost completely silver which was what puzzled me the
most...

That probably means that your alloy contained a large amount of silver
and very little copper. A yellow gold alloy. Since the copper was
depleted, the godly and silver stay behind, and the silver makes the
alloy look very pale.

I assume this is because the gold crystalised at it's surface
due to rapid cooling and so it was reflecting the light in the surface
layers?

No, see above. Crystallization has nothing to do with it. You are
removing copper.

And I assume that if I wanted to change the colour back to the best gold
that I can achieve with this overworked material I would have to reheat
and quench them at a much lower temperature?

No. You have to file or sand the entire piece to remove the layer you
have created at the surface, to get back to the original alloy.

Finally, this is a really daft question to ask but is this how different
coloured golds like red and white etc. are created?

See above. In general the more copper in the alloys, the redder the
alloy will be. The more silver, the paler (yellower) the alloy will be.
If you have gold and silver only, you can get a "green" gold. If you
alloy with small quantities of nickel of palladium, you get "white"
gold. If you alloy with Aluminum, you get a unworkable very brittle,
purple gold.

Here are a few sites that explain gold color a bit further:
http://www.gold.org/jewellery/technology/alloys/
http://jewelry.about.com/cs/goldbuyi...old_alloys.htm
http://tinyurl.com/9xc9v

In conclusion... those two original rings have certainly been through
the fires,

Almost every piece of jewelry on the planet today contains some gold
that has "been through the fires", because through the ages, only a
rather small amount of gold has been mined, which has been recycled over
and over again. And almost all of it is still around. Gold is so rare
that all the gold ever mined could fit into a cube measuring just 20
yards on each side.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Abrasha

Jon Elson wrote:

Most of the contaminating base metals can be
removed with acids when it is cool.

No, that is not possible. the only way to remove "base metals"
(whatever you mean by that), is to send the alloy to a refiner, or go
through the trouble of refining yourself, which is a rather arduous
process if you want to do it yourself.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Nickel / Gold plating question siliconmike Metalworking 10 May 2nd 05 12:39 PM
speaker wire habbi Metalworking 126 March 14th 05 11:49 PM
Is this "gold chain" fake? Murray Peterson Metalworking 21 May 16th 04 07:10 AM
this ought to get everybody fired up.... mel Woodworking 56 March 29th 04 04:53 PM
Gold Coloured Shower question Reteplav UK diy 1 September 18th 03 02:05 AM