Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.models.engineering

Default Small parts gold plating

Malcolm Stewart wrote:

I'm into amateur sound recordings using electret microphones. These require
a low voltage, ~ 2.2v, which is supplied by the camcorder or Minidisc
recorder via the signal lead. Consequently for low noise recordings it is
essential that the 3.5mm plugs and sockets between the microphone and
recorder aren't suffering from handling noise caused by oxide on the
contacts. Where possible I've obtained gold-plated plugs from headphone
leads, but the choice on offer* doesn't cover my precise configuration, and
I do get handling noise.
(*I've looked at CPC-Farnell, Maplin & RS websites recently.)

Can anyone recommend a UK based gold plating service which might be able to
plate the nickel(?) coated plugs and sockets which I can obtain easily. And
at a reasonable price for very small numbers.

Thanks in adavance

Your really chasing something that you'll only catch by getting rid of
the 3.5s altogether imho. 3.5 jacks are simply not a system thats upto
it, for a number of reasons.
Youve got small contact areas
Whatever plug you use, youve got a consumer grade socket in the chain
due to small plug size, cable handling puts a relatively high forces on
the jack and its connection points
Youve got plugs with a central pin pressed onto the lug, and some come
loose
youve got at best physically weak assemblies
and so on. Its not gonna work, pull out the 3.5 socket and mount
something decent on there. 1/4" jacks might be sufficient, but XLR and
a balanced mic would be much better.

I have worked on recording studio equipment but not a lot.

NT